Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving to China, need suggestions
baphometdemon
post Aug 13 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 250692
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Well, I'm taking the leap and trying to have the adventurous life I dreamed of when I was young. I started seriously looking for a job in China less than a month ago and have now signed the contract, plane tickets (on the 25th) in hand and getting the last minute visa. It really came together quicker than I ever would have guessed and I'm so excited (and doubly terrified) for the life that awaits me.

That being said, I haven't had as much time as I would want to read books on the move or to read all of the forums. I really feel very unprepared but when things happen I'm more than happy to let them happen. Do you guys have any suggestions for me in my moving there? I remember reading once of some good vitamin supplements to take so my system adjusts easier but can't for the life of me find the article now that its relevant.

I am moving to Tianjin and will be living and working in downtown (I've been told I absolutely don't want to drive since its worse traffic then Beijing).
And if you don't read my profile, I did spend a month last summer in China traveling and do have a general idea what I'm getting myself into - I'm not that crazy.

So, any advice from the veterans would be wonderful, and may all your journeys make you as happy as mine have. Thanks all.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 14 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

That's awesome! Good for you, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I know some people around here who love China just as much as you. I'm sure they'll have advice for you.

In the meantime (if you have any) read Shane's blog:

http://www.travelpod.com/members/eddakath

He's been living in China for quite a while.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Aug 24 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

Welcome to China. I came to China over 5 years ago and have never left. I now own my own house and am married and have a beautiful daughter. It is totally doable and every day is an adventure. My suggestion to you would be to not bring too much in the way of clothing and daily necessities. You can get all that stuff here. Fill your luggage with the things you will miss. Things like photos, momentos, stuffed animals, books, video games, whatever it is that you are into and might not be able to find here. The things I brought with me when I came here are still a very important connection to my old life. Everything else you can either buy here, or find decent substitutes. I hope this helps.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iolair
post Aug 30 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 265494

Good for you! I guess you've probably already arrived by now. If you still need it, here's my two cents...

-Start learning the language when you get here (not necessary classes, any way is ok) and learn enough of the basics so that simple but necessary tasks, like buying stuff to eat are never stressful.

-Make sure you have access to the things you use to cope with stress at home (ie, music, exercise...or whatever).

- And the most important one - a good sense of humour.

Good luck!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
happysheep
post Sep 7 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Explorer

Member No.: 235138

My advice:

don't hang out in expat bars unless you yourself are a loser and want to spend all your time b!$@%in' about how bad China is

bring or find some things which make your everyday life more comfortable - such as food or drinks - but try local food

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 8 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

QUOTE(happysheep @ Sep 7 2009, 11:20 PM) *

My advice:

don't hang out in expat bars unless you yourself are a loser and want to spend all your time b!$@%in' about how bad China is

I can't agree more. I stopped going to bars, but everytime I did, all we did was complain.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
minito
post Sep 29 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 391081

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Sep 8 2009, 01:51 AM) *

QUOTE(happysheep @ Sep 7 2009, 11:20 PM) *

My advice:

I can't agree more. I stopped going to bars, but everytime I did, all we did was complain.

I am in the same boat. Just today I was told that I need to be in Shangai on October 12th.
Im so excited and nervous at the same time. Any advise???????? Please
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
baphometdemon
post Sep 30 2009, 12:42 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 250692

QUOTE(munnabhai @ Sep 30 2009, 12:19 AM) *

munnabhai, you're a dick. Sometimes people like to get input and more personal advice than can be found on a google search. I, for instance, really appreciate the advice I got after asking this question and enjoyed reading from people who have been in a similar situation.

For anyone else, I've been here a little over 3 weeks (getting ready to go travel to Hebei for the national vacation) and am getting used to the Chinese lifestyle and enjoying every second of it and every new adventure I have every day.

munnabhai, you are the reason the internet has always left me feeling cold.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chinesetony
post Sep 30 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 391471

dance.gif i came across this web by a chance.well , happy to see u in china.

about the daily life. u will see lots of supermarkets in Tianjin. carrefour walmart . the price is very reasonable. if u buy some clothes or shoes in personal shops(not chained shop)that price could be cut by half . otherwise u will lose a big bargin.

about the sports, u could go to some universities in Tianjin(Tianjin university, Nankai university) for exercise. lots of students for u.

about the food, u could go to some special food street which is filled with different styles food around china. that is gonna be wonderful if u like chinese food .price and taste.

about the transportation , u can go out by taxi or underground. not very expensive. 3km/8 or 9 RMB by taxi.

about the travel, u have so many options .Beijing, Shanghai, Yunan, Qingdao.
i am a chinese boy .
thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 30 2009, 03:12 AM
Post #10

Pathfinder

QUOTE(munnabhai @ Sep 30 2009, 12:19 AM) *

What's wrong with you? This is a place for people to help each other and get first hand knowledge. I see you've plastered this link all over the Travelpod's Forums. If you are not going to be helpful, why don't you go somewhere else.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cusco454
post Mar 25 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1837621

QUOTE(baphometdemon @ Aug 13 2009, 09:56 PM) *

Well, I'm taking the leap and trying to have the adventurous life I dreamed of when I was young. I started seriously looking for a job in China less than a month ago and have now signed the contract, plane tickets (on the 25th) in hand and getting the last minute visa. It really came together quicker than I ever would have guessed and I'm so excited (and doubly terrified) for the life that awaits me.

That being said, I haven't had as much time as I would want to read books on the move or to read all of the forums. I really feel very unprepared but when things happen I'm more than happy to let them happen. Do you guys have any suggestions for me in my moving there? I remember reading once of some good vitamin supplements to take so my system adjusts easier but can't for the life of me find the article now that its relevant.

I am moving to Tianjin and will be living and working in downtown (I've been told I absolutely don't want to drive since its worse traffic then Beijing).
And if you don't read my profile, I did spend a month last summer in China traveling and do have a general idea what I'm getting myself into - I'm not that crazy.

So, any advice from the veterans would be wonderful, and may all your journeys make you as happy as mine have. Thanks all.

forgive the mistakes it first time on this site
Hows it going my name is michael ,live in louisiana but want to move to China also i do admire you ,, you have guts i have worked for many Chinese but in USA now i want to live there have any suggestions i never been before only know a little Chinese mike , sorry for letter still not sure how all works
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
guizhou_china
post Sep 16 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2236643

Dear friend, you are sincerely welcome to my motherland---China. Hopfully you will have a pleasant time here. I live in Guizhou Province in southwest China. Here it is totally different large cities such as Beijing,Tianjin, etc.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stephanbrich
post Oct 17 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2330693

a very close friend from Buffalo lives in Tianjin. I have been myself. It can be daunting. But you should at least try to learn the language and it will take you at least 1 year to settle in.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
liveforever
post Apr 5 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2787573

Beijing currently, traffic is a nightmare. But a excellent choice if you like having fun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:00 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.