Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Banking Options, What is the American bank of choice while in Jordan?
justajaunt
post Jul 29 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 288099

Does anyone have suggestions for banking while in Jordan? I currently belong to Bank of America but I am trying to figure out the most cost efficent form of banking since I will be there for nine months. What has other people's experience been for ATMs, credit cards, etc so as to have minimal fees?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 29 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hmm... I don't know if this works in Jordan, but I always put everything on my credit card (asking for cash back from the vendor where possible) and then pay the bill through my bank account online. Works out fine everywhere I go.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Jul 31 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

I've learned that Citibank is in Jordan so I am going to try and get an account with them. Too bad we don't have Citibank in Michigan.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Dec 17 2009, 05:39 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

For anyone else who might need to know more on this topic...

I have found out that opening an account here in Jordan as a NON-resident is actually very easy. Arab Bank asks for a lot of documentation and this and that but most of the banks I asked just needed to see my passport, my license from home, and a certain minimum balance in the account at all times...at Jordan Ahli it was 200JD, at HSBC I think it was 500JD, and I don't remember the rest. So if anyone is planning on being here longterm I definitely suggest bringing lots of cash or lots of travelers checks in order to open an account. The banks I talked to also either didn't have a fee for closing the account when it is time for me to leave or they charged 5JD. This is also simple if you can transfer money from your bank at home or wire cash through Western Union. My personal problem is that it isn't worth it for me to wire the amount of money I want through Western Union because the fee is like $150 dollars.....and I refuse to give BofAholes the $70-ish fee they charge for transfers to international banks. Added to that, none of the banks here can cash a check without going through a clearance that can take 30-90 days. Bah. Ridiculous. So back to the ATM fees that I loath. Hopefully this helps anyone trying to think ahead.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Dec 17 2009, 07:18 AM
Post #5

Commuter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 217489

I remember some peoples ATM cards not working in some machines in Jordan, but working in the one right next to it. It was really weird.

For low fees check out any Capital One credit card. They have 0% foreign transaction fees, and are the only American company to do so. That would help save you a LOT of money.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Dec 17 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

I second all of that. I can use the ATMs from Arab Bank but so far I have been unable to use any other ATM with my BofAholes card. Also, I have a Capital One credit card and it is 100% true that they have no fees for making international purchases. None. I have had this card for a long time and I love them love them love them. In Jordan I use it whenever I can which unfortunately is usually only grocery shopping.

Bank of America charges $5.00 for every withdrawal plus 1% of the withdrawn amount. Arab Bank caps withdrawals at 250JD so if you withdraw the maximum amount you are charged $9.00US every time you use the ATM unless you are lucky enough to have one of the ancient cards.

QUOTE(jeremystravels @ Dec 17 2009, 07:18 AM) *

I remember some peoples ATM cards not working in some machines in Jordan, but working in the one right next to it. It was really weird.

For low fees check out any Capital One credit card. They have 0% foreign transaction fees, and are the only American company to do so. That would help save you a LOT of money.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 12:28 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Jordan

Ajlun Hotels
Amman Hotels
Aqaba Hotels
Azraq Hotels
Dana Hotels
Dead Sea Region Hotels
Irbid Hotels
Jerash Hotels
Karak Hotels
Ma'in Hotels
Madaba Hotels
Shoubak Hotels
Sweimah Hotels
Tabaqat Fahl Hotels
Wadi Musa Hotels
Wadi Rum Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.