Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iquitos - doing the jungle independently
brabzzz
post Jul 25 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 247446
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I have done a 4 day lodge based jungle trip in Cuyabeno, Ecuador...but we all know that´s not really doing the jungle.

A drunken plan we´ve hatched is getting the boat up to Iquitos, buying/renting a canoe or other self powered form of water transport and getting lost (not literally) in the little backwater tributaries and waterways around there. Guide-less.

We´re not after hardcore nature spotting (seen it) or ott interaction with locals, just a more raw and independent experice of the environment than you get with guides/agencies.

1) Anyone got any relevant experieces they´d care to share?
2) Is Iquitos a good place for this?

Any input welcome!

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 28 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

One of my scariest moments was getting lost in the jungle. I was staying in a lodge near Puerto Maldonado. I decided to take an evening walk. I consider I have a very good sense of direction, but as the evening was overcast, I soon lost my way. It took me over an hour to get back to the lodge. Fortunately my travelling companion missed me, and the lodge had a bull-horn and by calling my name, I was able to find my way back. It reminded me of the terrifying Peruvian movie "En la selva no hay estrellas", a scary film about a criminal who wanders days and days in the jungle eventually arriving half straved and mad back where he started.

I guess it won't be so bad if you keep to the rivers. At least there are only two directions you can take, upstream or downstream.

Let us know if your drunken plan maps out.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:15 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chiquian Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Ramon Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.