Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stayig somewherere for awhile
sunshinecarly
post Jul 25 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 290100
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm heading to Mexico and Central America early next year I've got about 5-6 months to travel but rather than just be on the go the whole time I'd prefer to stop somewhere for a few months and work or volunteer or something. Can any one give me any recomendations? I'm open to anything wwoofing, working at a hostel, teaching english, volunteering doing something else. The only thing I dont want to do is one of those volunteer programs that cost a bomb.

Has any one done anything like this and can give me some ideas?

Cheers and Happy Travels!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 27 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Is there one or two things you prefer to do more than others? There are loads of volunteer opportunities to choose from. It'll make it easier if you can narrow it down to a preference.....

Anyway, check out Transitions Abroad for a good list of some of the opportunities available. They are a stand-up publication and there should be some great places taking volunteers. Check it out here.

Personally, I think it would be really cool to volunteer as a nature guide yes.gif I've heard Common Hope-helping poor families in health, education etc-is excellent too but you have to be near-fluent in Spanish. I'm sure for some of the other positions you do too. Most volunteer placements do cost some money but it shouldn't be much more than covering your own overhead (food, lodging etc). Be sure you know exactly where your money is going. Some places are crazy-expensive.....

It's kind of you to want to offer your time to help in some way. That's a fantastic way to give back some while you're on the road. Plus, it'll offer alot more insight into the culture and people as well as the region you'll hunker down in. The benefits are plenty! Let us know what you're thinking, or if you choose something. I'm interested to know what you pick in the end!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunshinecarly
post Jul 28 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 290100
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thanks for that, I have been trawling through the web there is just so so so much choice when it comes to volunteering!!! I am a nurse so I'd love to be able to volunteer in a clinic or something but my spanish is basic to say the least so I dont think its really an option!

Anyway Im going to keep looking and I'll let you know!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 28 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

One of the best places to volunteer is one of the most interesting countries in Latin America, Guatemala.

Here's a site that gives you a huge list - http://www.volunteerabroad.com/Guatemala.cfm

This is the report on a local organization that can help you as a volunteer. The site is from Revue, an English language magazine based in Antigua Guatemala.
http://revuemag.com/2008/12/ngo-networking/

This is one of the most reputable volunteer organizations.
http://aktenamit.org/about_us/volunteer.php

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 28 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(sunshinecarly @ Jul 28 2009, 05:22 AM) *

Thanks for that, I have been trawling through the web there is just so so so much choice when it comes to volunteering!!! I am a nurse so I'd love to be able to volunteer in a clinic or something but my spanish is basic to say the least so I dont think its really an option!

Anyway I'm going to keep looking and I'll let you know!

It's hard to decide, isn't is? You should be able to find something you're looking for, even with basic Spanish. Most volunteer organizations appreciate any help they can get, especially something specialized like your field.

Martin's always got great and reliable resources so definitely check out his links. smile.gif

BTW, welcome to the forums Carly! Glad you found us.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 03:33 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.