Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hitchhiking in Russia
littlekate
post Jul 23 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 225327

"When I went, while on a 10-week adventure through Russia, China, Kazakhstan and Mongolia, my Russian companion, Stasya, and I missed the one very impatient bus that would take us from the ferry terminal to Somewhere Else.
Blinking in the pale golden dust under a brilliant blue sky, Stasya and I fell silent, marooned on the now deserted shore, with just a view back onto Vladivostok’s shimmering harbour and Golden Horn Bay, and Russky Island’s gentle groves and virgin hills for thrills. With a population of just 5,000, we concurred without the need for words that it would be a long, long wait for the next one.
“Let’s hitch!” I ventured. This was not as foolhardy as it might sound: Stasya, a 23-year-old economics graduate whom I’d met on the mainland, described herself as a hitchhiker like it defined her. (“I am Stasya! I am hitchhiker!” she’d chirruped in her singsong Slavic intonation.) She’d hitchhiked alone from her home town, St Petersburg, to Vladivostok — some 4,000 miles — in three months. Stasya was a hitchhiking pro.
On hearing the next distant rumble, Stasya, with quiet resolve, calmly stepped out into the road to deploy her impressively persuasive car-stopping strategy.
An old navy pick-up truck hurtled towards us. Stasya held her palm out in the international sign language of “Stop”. Then she raised and lowered her arm, signifying: “Slow down — now!”
Spellbound, the driver duly obeyed. As he pulled over, I peered in to find an unsmiling, sinister-looking man dressed from head to toe in civilian camouflage. Brow grooved, I followed Stasya into the cab and our driver sped off into the unknown... My instincts were not happy, but in company, I was kind of exhilarated..."
The Sunday Times
July 5, 2009
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Jul 28 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 225327

I think so. At least, in Russia it would not look strange. As I already wrote in another forum, the drivers of the long-way-going trucks even like to take hitchhikers to entertain themselves and not to fell asleep on the way. So, there is a special cortesy on the case: talk, ask questions, tell stories when you are given a lift by a truck. Though, many people in Russia still find it dangerous.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 06:40 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.