Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roommates Abroad?, looking for a 2009-2010 roommate in Amman
justajaunt
post Jul 17 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 288099
Nominate me as a Local Expert

UPDATE:
OK... I am on the hunt again. I currently live in Shmeisani in an awesome third floor flat located near the National Orthodox School and the Libyan Embassy. One of my roommates heads back to the States this month which leaves us, two awesome American women, in need of a third roomie. Our place is three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a very big living space, a sun room, a large veranda, and a big kitchen. From what I have seen this really is a nice apartment. Not nice like fancy shmancy, but nice like spacious, clean, NOT smoky smelling, and we have a very great landlady. It is easy to get taxis where we live, we have a washing machine, an iron, central radiator heating, a food processor, and hot water in the shower. The neighborhood is super safe and if you are a walker we have within walking distance a small market, a bangarang bookstore (which is a hot commodity for English speakers in Amman), Arab bank, a liquor store, two large grocery stores, a sweet sandwich guy, the bus stop at the 5th Circle, the Cultural Street in Shmeisani (which has Burger King, Lebnani Snack, etc), and personally on the weekend I enjoy walking to the Abdali flea market and then continuing all the way downtown. We get a good rate, especially for what we have so if anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking let me know. we are ready for someone to move in anytime although the actual bedroom won't be available until December 28.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey all,

In late August I will be heading to Amman, Jordan for nine months to complete an internship in community development. The current intern has graciously offered to set me up with her apartment but she will be a leaving a few days after I arrive as will her roommates who were all in Amman for the 2008-2009 school year. I cannot afford the apartment on my own and although I am adventurous and good at engaging and being involved in the places in which I live, I would personally feel more comfortable living with one or two other people while I am there. In order to mitigate crosscultural miscommunication in my living environment I would prefer to live with other women who speak English as their first language. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is my preference. My question for people here who have travelled to Jordan or are currently in Jordan is this, do you have any suggestions on how I can go about finding a potential roommate(s) before I leave in late August? I am sure there are other students or interns who will be travelling to Amman for 6, 9, or 12 months but as I am the only person from my school doing this I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to find these other people. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 17 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Could you try something like FlipKey.com to figure it out?

Is there a "craigslist" for Jordan?

You might be able to find someone on Couchsurfing.com also.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jul 22 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi 'Justajaunt'

Hope you found Starlagurl's info helpful? I can't help you directly, but just wanted to bring your topic back up to the top so that someone might be able to help if it hasn't, and to say that most people are friendly and helpful on here smile.gif Think you've just been unlucky with that 'azreal' response there!

I hope you find someone to share the apartment, as it seems like you landed on your feet with that one! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Jul 27 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jul 17 2009, 01:18 PM) *

Could you try something like FlipKey.com to figure it out?

Is there a "craigslist" for Jordan?

You might be able to find someone on Couchsurfing.com also.

I just saw this (still getting in the travelpod groove). Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them for sure.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 27 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 289202

watch out.... couchsurfing is dangerous.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 31 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Haha, I don't believe that couchsurfing is dangerous, not really...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sara9981
post Nov 7 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 489231

hey!

i know ur msg was posted back in the summer but i'm coming to amman next week and am looking for a place to stay for 6-8 weeks... do you have any space in your flat?

i am american and will be in amman to practice/study arabic and light travel...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Dec 17 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

Wow....so sorry I didn't see this before. I was just revisiting this post because one of my current roommates is headed back to the states so we are in need again. I hope your time here was awesome and if for some reason you decided to stay longer let me know.

QUOTE(sara9981 @ Nov 7 2009, 08:15 AM) *

hey!

i know ur msg was posted back in the summer but i'm coming to amman next week and am looking for a place to stay for 6-8 weeks... do you have any space in your flat?

i am american and will be in amman to practice/study arabic and light travel...

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justajaunt
post Dec 17 2009, 05:30 AM
Post #9

Wanderer

I am looking for a roommate again...please see my edit to the very first post of this thread if you are interested.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeuvaravive
post Dec 27 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 294394

hi

how much iy cost sharing room ?
hisham

QUOTE(justajaunt @ Jul 17 2009, 11:39 AM) *

UPDATE:
OK... I am on the hunt again. I currently live in Shmeisani in an awesome third floor flat located near the National Orthodox School and the Libyan Embassy. One of my roommates heads back to the States this month which leaves us, two awesome American women, in need of a third roomie. Our place is three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a very big living space, a sun room, a large veranda, and a big kitchen. From what I have seen this really is a nice apartment. Not nice like fancy shmancy, but nice like spacious, clean, NOT smoky smelling, and we have a very great landlady. It is easy to get taxis where we live, we have a washing machine, an iron, central radiator heating, a food processor, and hot water in the shower. The neighborhood is super safe and if you are a walker we have within walking distance a small market, a bangarang bookstore (which is a hot commodity for English speakers in Amman), Arab bank, a liquor store, two large grocery stores, a sweet sandwich guy, the bus stop at the 5th Circle, the Cultural Street in Shmeisani (which has Burger King, Lebnani Snack, etc), and personally on the weekend I enjoy walking to the Abdali flea market and then continuing all the way downtown. We get a good rate, especially for what we have so if anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking let me know. we are ready for someone to move in anytime although the actual bedroom won't be available until December 28.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey all,

In late August I will be heading to Amman, Jordan for nine months to complete an internship in community development. The current intern has graciously offered to set me up with her apartment but she will be a leaving a few days after I arrive as will her roommates who were all in Amman for the 2008-2009 school year. I cannot afford the apartment on my own and although I am adventurous and good at engaging and being involved in the places in which I live, I would personally feel more comfortable living with one or two other people while I am there. In order to mitigate crosscultural miscommunication in my living environment I would prefer to live with other women who speak English as their first language. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is my preference. My question for people here who have travelled to Jordan or are currently in Jordan is this, do you have any suggestions on how I can go about finding a potential roommate(s) before I leave in late August? I am sure there are other students or interns who will be travelling to Amman for 6, 9, or 12 months but as I am the only person from my school doing this I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to find these other people. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mowalid
post Jan 31 2010, 03:53 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 711291

Hi, i will be in amman for a minimum of 3 1/2 months studying arabic. i am from the states and looking for a potential roomate.. can you please email me with information on the flat. locality? cost?

adredar@rcsi.ie

thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 04:02 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Jordan

Ajlun Hotels
Amman Hotels
Aqaba Hotels
Azraq Hotels
Dana Hotels
Dead Sea Region Hotels
Irbid Hotels
Jerash Hotels
Karak Hotels
Ma'in Hotels
Madaba Hotels
Shoubak Hotels
Sweimah Hotels
Tabaqat Fahl Hotels
Wadi Musa Hotels
Wadi Rum Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.