Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1st October Public Holiday?
bumblingbill
post Jul 14 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 283728

Does anyone know anything about this? Will it be harder to get a visa?

Also, how long in advance should I apply for visa (going in Oct)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jul 14 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

Yes, the first week of October is a holiday which may be to mark the time of the Revolution? (I am sure someone else can confirm this).
There was an earlier thread suggesting that visas might be more difficult to get at this time but I have heard no verification.

I would contact the embassy in your home country and find out from them the earliest you can apply (the earlier, the better). If you also arrange your travel thru Hong Kong, that gives you another option if you are originally denied.

Be aware that the current unrest in the NW will not make getting visas an easier.
Also, if you do enter China during any holiday time be prepared for dealing with masses of locals a travelling at the same time.

Good luck!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jul 15 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Member No.: 264986

What type of Visa are you getting?
When questioning how early you should get your visa, take into consideration how long you're staying (or hoping to) in China and how long until the visa expires.

I have a couple Travel Agent friends and they said you'd be better off applying for the Visa at your closest Chinese embassy rather than through the Travel Agents. If you're not too fussed, then either should do.

If it is a holiday (which I'm unsure of) it may be a little harder to get a visa, but shouldn't be impossible, extending the visa may also be harder.

Visas usually take around 4 working days to process (here in Aus' anyway), but if you need it in one day that can be done with an extra fee.

Good-luck, hope I helped a little, any other questions; I'd love to help

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Jul 15 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Member No.: 50553

this is a big holiday this year. 60 years is big for aniversaries in china. Get you Visa now. I have heard the are tightening again like when they have the olympics. Good Luck
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jul 15 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Expeditionist

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Jul 15 2009, 02:35 PM) *

this is a big holiday this year. 60 years is big for aniversaries in china. Get you Visa now. I have heard the are tightening again like when they have the olympics. Good Luck

Not sure if it is possible to get the visa now for October, they'd only have a couple of days left, does depends on the visa though and I'm not sure which one they're going for.

How long does this holiday last? I'm going to China on 21st November, I shouldn't be too effected by this holiday, right?
biggrin.gif
Thanks for confirming the holiday dance.gif

--------------------
Traveling to China at the end of 2009. Any recommendations or tips would be well appreciated :)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bumblingbill
post Jul 16 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 283728

Hi - thanks all for comments

Only planning on going for about 10 days mid Oct. Does this make it easier or harder?!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rauri
post Jul 16 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #7

Expeditionist

QUOTE(bumblingbill @ Jul 16 2009, 04:53 AM) *

Hi - thanks all for comments

Only planning on going for about 10 days mid Oct. Does this make it easier or harder?!

So you'll probably be getting the L Visa (tourist visa)? 10 Days doesn't seem like a problem
Lots of information here:
http://us.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84246.htm
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/tourist.htm

If you're going for 10 days this is fine on the L visa as you are allowed 'In' China for 30 days, unless you are able to get it extended (which you won't need if staying for 10days).
The L visa expires after 3 months (single entry) starting from the time of applicaton, but you can get longer lasting visas(with different types of visas etc.), it's a weird/confusing process.
Read through those Links above and it will give you a clearer answer.

Any other questions I'll be happy to answer.
Hope I helped.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
happysheep
post Jul 21 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #8

Explorer

Member No.: 235138

yes, some people are reporting difficulty in getting visas for around this time and also getting extensions to cover late September and early October.

The result is that some people are having to leave, or find other ways of getting extensions or longer visas. But there are also some who haven't had any trouble.

From April this year it became more difficult both for people overseas to get visas for China, as well as more difficult for people already in China to get extensions. It varies depending on when you got your visa, what country you are from and what passport you hold, where you applied for your visa. And similarly with in China it depends on the type of visa you hold, what country you are from, and what kind of extension you are seeking.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
evamaria85
post Jul 22 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Drifter

Member No.: 1099

The holiday in October is the National Day.

On October 1st 1949 Chairman Mao proclaimed the foundation of the People's Republic of China.

Every year this is celebrated all over the country. If you are in Beijing on Oct. 1st try visiting Tianmen Square at dawn to witness the flag ceremony.

Happy travels.

Best,

Eva Maria
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Aug 24 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #10

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

The 1st of October is the Republic of China's birthday and this year is the 60th anniversary. 6 is a very lucky number in China, so everyone will be traveling and everywhere will be packed. Getting visas will also be more difficult this year. I personally am going to spend the holiday in a village, so I won't have to deal with it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wowowo0080
post Aug 27 2009, 02:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 298192

yes ,this years holiday is from 1st-8th , national holiday plus Mid-moon festivel

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:20 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.