Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING, Jewellery
andy652
post Sep 28 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3284433
Nominate me as a Local Expert

City Gems
Road 30
Tropieng Sez
Kokchok commune,
Siem Reap Town
In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.
As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
genuine diamond.
On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.
When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).
The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.
As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:26 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.