Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frankfurt or Hamburg
annecam
post Jul 6 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 284944

Hi

Myself and 5 friends have decided to go to Germany early in December. We cannot decide on either Hamburg or Frankfurt. We are all aged in our early 40s. Which city do you recommend?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jul 6 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Hi Anecome,

I have visited both cities, and my suggestion is that you go to Hamburgh.
Hamburgh is more touristic and it is really beautiful.If I had the chance to visit either of the two, I would definitely fly there.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 7 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

My co-worker is about your age, and he says that Frankfurt is boring. Go to Hamburg!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alstergirl
post Sep 8 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 331131

Hallo from Hamburg,

I live here and would recommend Hamburg! Because: Frankfurt is a business city. There is not really much to do or to see. It´s Germanies bank capital only.

Hamburg has so much to see and its said that it is the most beautiful city in Germany. Because you have the lake Alster right in the city center. And you have the harbour with the river Elbe. You have beautiful neiborhoods: Schanzenviertel with its bars and restaurant for evenings. Posh Eppendorf with the famous Isemarket (fruit, vegetable, cheese etc.) Europes longest market. Winterhude with the Stadtpark.
Nice city center with plenty of shopping. From H&M to Hugo Boss. New Hafencity is being built, very upscale, and old storage houses. Nice contrast.

If you are into fitness, jogging around the Alster is very popular. Join the locals! And look at the fabulous villas.

Then musical Tarzan and Lion King.

I love living here.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
reisender
post Oct 3 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 158028

Hi Annecam,

I fully agree with Alstergirl's comments and those of the others. I reside in Frankfurt. It is Germany's banking center, but hardly a place to spend more than a day. Hamburg is a colorful cosmopolitan city with a lot of things to do, and a truly international culture and flair. Also, there is a speed train link to Berlin, which allows for a quick daytrip to Germany's even more colorful capital city in just 90 minutes.

As you will be in Germany in December, you should also look in to visiting some of the Christmas Markets. The nicer ones are in Dresden, Erfurt and Lübeck (home of the Marzipan chocolate), but also Hamburg and Berlin, all of which are located in the North.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hostelbookers
post Oct 20 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 430061

Hamburg has a lot to offer for all generations. There's a tube, but I would recommend to walk as much as possible. The city is very old and they archicture is quite unique, like the famous town hall
Don't miss a harbour tour and have a look at "Speicherstadt", with its old warehouses.

Try a traditional winter meal: Grünkohl

I'm sure they will love Hamburg
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
carla.bolivar1
post Dec 11 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 571341

Hamburg!!!...jeje is the most beautiful fun and wonderful city in germany!...lived there for one year and wishing go back!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:42 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.