Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lanzarote, Canary Islands: Starter Kit, Questions and discussions about any aspect of traveling to and staying
milesc
post Jul 3 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Lanzarote, Canary Islands

If you are looking for an exotic holiday destination that offers every amenity but is a bit off the beaten track, Lanzarote is a real gem. Lanzarote is part of the Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago off the western coast of North Africa. Lanzarote is the easternmost and fourth largest of the seven islands making up the chain, which was formed from volcanic activity some of which remains to this day.

With a sizable population of over 120,000, Lanzarote offers bustling urban resort centres as well as picturesque rural settings. Lanzarote's latitude makes it an ideal travel destination in either summer or winter. Winter temperatures in Lanzarote are only an average of 8 degrees cooler than in summer (21 degrees in January versus 29 degrees in August).

Holidays in Lanzarote
Holidays in Lanzarote offer activities for just about any type of traveller and for all ages. The island's stunning volcanic landscape (eruptions as recently as the 19th century have left a lunar-like appearance in many areas) and its rich history provide a generous selection of touring attractions.

With its year-round sunshine and clear azure waters, Lanzarote is also an ideal destination for SCUBA diving, snorkelling, windsurfing, sailing and fishing. There is a great variety of beaches for those who prefer a more relaxed schedule, and this includes some areas where naturism or nudism is allowed. Topless sunbathing is tolerated on most beaches.
Lanzarote also boasts two 18-hole golf course, as well as a water park and a range of other attractions for younger children.

What about accommodation?

a)Villas in Lanzarote
Lanzarote has a large number of holiday villas available both in the major resort centres and in smaller rural settings.
It is becoming increasingly popular to rent a holiday villa rather than stay in more traditional holiday accommodation, as villas offer greater privacy, more space and a better opportunity to interact with the local community - to really absorb the Lanzarote experience. Many also come with private pools within their gardens.

cool.gif Lanzarote Apartments
If a villa is a bit pricey, but you still want greater privacy and a more local experience than a hotel could provide, Lanzarote also has many holiday apartments available for rent at very affordable prices. A choice is also available here: in addition to resort-style complexes with all the usual facilities close at hand, there are also apartments in more local environments where you can soak up more of the real "island vacation" atmosphere.

c) Lanzarote Hotels
Lanzarote has many quality hotels to choose from. 4 and 5 star hotels and resort complexes offer every luxury and amenity for a pampered stay on this beautiful island.

Getting Around - Car Hire in Lanzarote
Hiring a car in Lanzarote is, like everything else, surprisingly affordable, and really is a must if you plan on exploring the island. And you do want to explore the island. Many major international car rental companies are represented in Lanzarote, and there are also many local firms to choose from.
A couple of pointers for those who do hire a car:
1. Driving is on the right-hand side of the road;
2. Many petrol stations offer manned service look around before filling the tank yourself
3. Police are rigorous in the application of traffic laws, so make sure everyone is always wearing their seat belts, carry your passport and driving license at all times, do not speed and definitely do not drink and drive.

Restaurants
On Lanzarote you can choose to dine out in style or stick to a tight budget your call. Most of the main areas offer a choice of cuisines including Canarian, Spanish, Italian, Indian, Chinese, French, Mexican and Thai. A meal for two with a few drinks will set you back between 25 50 euros, though there are some more expensive options for special occasions as well.

For those acquainted with it, Lanzarote is really a no-brainer decision as a travel destination. Many return year after year. The consistently perfect weather conditions, affordability of just about everything and the plethora of activities and attractions all make for an exotic and unrivalled holiday destination that won't break the bank.

Few other destinations can make such a guarantee. Do yourself a favour, make sure Lanzarote is on your short list the next time you are choosing a summer or winter holiday spot.

You can find out more about Lanzarote by visiting All Things Lanzarote. It is packed full of useful information, including details of flights, car hire, hotels, apartments and villas.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 3 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

That's great Miles, welcome to the Local Expert group!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jul 3 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

Congratulations! You are now the new Local Expert of the Canary Islands!

Because we are travelling to your neighbouring Island - Fuerteventura, I have a few questions to ask you.

Are day trips possible, I mean from one Island to the other? How much time is the sailing, and approximately what is the cost?
Do boats leave from Corralejo, or the capital?

Is it possible for somebody who is in Fuerteventura to sail to Marakesh? Do you happen to know the approximate cost?
Please help!
http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
milesc
post Jul 19 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jul 3 2009, 10:08 AM) *

Because we are travelling to your neighbouring Island - Fuerteventura, I have a few questions to ask you.

Are day trips possible, I mean from one Island to the other? How much time is the sailing, and approximately what is the cost?

Is it possible for somebody who is in Fuerteventura to sail to Marakesh? Do you happen to know the approximate cost?
Please help!

You can island hop in various ways across the Canary Islands. From Fuerteventura you can get to Lanzarote, which is only 20 minutes, or to Tenerife which will take you most of a day. It's not that cheap - Lanza to Fuerte and back is around 60 euros from memory. To check this out more, I suggest you log on to the operators weebsites, who are Armas and Fred Olsen.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late reply!
+Quote Post
milesc
post Jul 19 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

QUOTE(milesc @ Jul 19 2009, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jul 3 2009, 10:08 AM) *

Please help!

You can island hop in various ways across the Canary Islands. From Fuerteventura you can get to Lanzarote, which is only 20 minutes, or to Tenerife which will take you most of a day. It's not that cheap - Lanza to Fuerte and back is around 60 euros from memory. To check this out more, I suggest you log on to the operators weebsites, who are Armas and Fred Olsen.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late reply!

Sorry - missed your last two questions. Ferries sail from Corralejo, and I've never heard of trips to Marrakech by ferry - check the aforementioned websites though, don't take my word for it!
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jul 20 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Thanks for the information my friend.
I will check that out. Pity that it is so expensive to sail for 20 minutes.
At least we will be prepared and not be shocked by the price they tell us.

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lanzainfo
post Jul 20 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 288910

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jul 20 2009, 07:25 AM) *

Thanks for the information my friend.
I will check that out. Pity that it is so expensive to sail for 20 minutes.
At least we will be prepared and not be shocked by the price they tell us.

Sorry! As residents we have a 50% discount off the inter Spain travel - the cheapest option for tourists is Naviera Armas which is slightly slower than the high speed catamaran offered by Fred Olsen, the price is 29.46 Euros going out and 23.96 coming back if you're between 26 and 60 if under 26 you pay a lesser fee of 25.06 and 20.64. For more information the website is http://www.navieraarmas.com.

If you're going I would recommend that you either take a car or hire one on in Fuerteventura so that you see more than just the ferry port of Corralejo. The price of a car is a bit more but includes 2 passengers, going out is 47.45 and returning 41.93.

--------------------
Anything and everything Lanzarote
www.lanzaroteinformation.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jul 21 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Thanks for the above information.
I will surely have a look.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 03:33 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.