Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to Nepal? You simply must try Parahawking!
anitastravels
post Jul 1 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 284313

I am just back from a trip to Pokhara, Nepal where I went Parahawking! It is a paragliding flight with a trained bird of prey and turned out to be one of the most amazing things I have done on any of my many travels.
I flew with Kevin, an Egyptian vulture, well and my tandem pilot, Scott, of course. After a ride in the Frontiers Paragliding jeep up to the top of Sarankot I am strapped into the harness of the tandem paraglider, handed a leather glove and a pouch of raw buffalo meat... and we take off. Once we are airborne the views are simply amazing, looking below I see Fewa Lake glimmering and behind us the peaks of the Annapurna mountains are visibly shimmering in the sunlight. Right in front of us is Kevin, our bird guide, and the feeling of seeing the world as the birds see it is overwhelming. The pilot blows a whistle calling Kevin in for a reward. I extend my arm and hold out a piece of raw meat, in less than a second Kevin is there, he flares his wings, grips my leather glove with his talons and takes the piece of meat before he is off again. After following Kevin into a few more thermals we head out over the lake where the pilot even has time to take some pictures of us in the air with the bird before we land at Maya Devi, the home of Himalayan Raptor Rescue, and conveniently enough also a rather lovely restaurant.
To get to interact so closely with birds of prey was a dream come true for me and should in my opinion be on anyone’s list of things to do while in Nepal, which is the only place in the world where you can get to experience this.
They have a website: www.parahawking.com where you can see some incredible movies and pictures.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 2 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

IPB Image

Pretty incredible...but you are feeding wild animals, don't animal rights activists usually say that this hurts the animals more than helps them?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 7 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Yes, those are the arguments that I've heard against feeding wild animals. I didn't know that you used rescued hawks.

How do you guys get them? Are they orphans?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post Aug 19 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 294091

If your birds are ready for 26th October mr.scott then i certainly will be! biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 20 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

I don't see any hawks in that video...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 02:03 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Nepal

Annapurna Region Hotels
Balthali Hotels
Bandipur Hotels
Beni Hotels
Bhaktapur Hotels
Bharatpur Hotels
Biratnagar Hotels
Butwal Hotels
Charikot Hotels
Chitwan District Hotels
Daman Hotels
Dhading Hotels
Dhangadhi Hotels
Dhulikhel Hotels
Gati Hotels
Ghandruk Hotels
Gorkha Hotels
Janakpur Hotels
Jiri Hotels
Jomosom Hotels
Kagbeni Hotels
Kathmandu Hotels
Khumbu Hotels
Kirtipur Hotels
Kurintar Hotels
Lukla Hotels
Lumbini Hotels
Mahendranagar Hotels
Meghauli Hotels
Mustang Region Hotels
Nagarkot Hotels
Namche Bazaar Hotels
Nepalgunj Hotels
Nuwakot Hotels
Patan (Lalitpur) Hotels
Pokhara Hotels
Sauraha Hotels
Tansen Hotels
Tengboche Hotels
Thami Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.