Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travel to Zimbabwe
wisconsin_fan81
post Jun 28 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273696

Does anyone know how safe it is these days to travel to Zimbabwe? My parents are planning an African trip, which my Wife and I are considering, and I would love to travel through Zimbabwe. But the political and economic strife are a little foreboding. How's it looking these days people? Not the "on the news" stuff, the on the ground stuff...anyone from there or been there in the last few days or weeks?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 29 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Well, I see a bunch of tips on safety at Virtual Tourist: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Afric...mbabwe-R-1.html

See if it helps you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Jun 29 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Member No.: 273696

Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll hold off. See, that is my same dilemma with wanting to go to Myanmar(Burma), I know they are dangerous areas, but if our travel funds can go towards helping rebuild their devastated countries, then how awesome!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 29 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(wisconsin_fan81 @ Jun 29 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll hold off. See, that is my same dilemma with wanting to go to Myanmar(Burma), I know they are dangerous areas, but if our travel funds can go towards helping rebuild their devastated countries, then how awesome!

I would note that the most recent tip is dated June 2008 which, given that conditions can change so quickly in these countries, may or may not be that relevant.

I am looking to visit Myanmar in October and if I can be sure that I can get a visa fairly easily in Bangkok, I may well book a flight soon. I tend to take many of the warnings with a grain of salt and I am sure I will get more up-to-date information once I am in Thailand. Then, if things sound a bit too risky, I always have an alternative to fall back on (in my case, it will probably be Laos).

I agree that any of my money that I can spread to the local people in such desperate conditions is a definite bonus.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 30 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

QUOTE(wisconsin_fan81 @ Jun 29 2009, 06:05 PM) *
I know they are dangerous areas, but if our travel funds can go towards helping rebuild their devastated countries, then how awesome!

Yeah, that's always the tough decision. These places definitely need tourism dollars, but you have to protect yourself too... and so the cycle is perpetuated.

QUOTE(aopaq @ Jun 29 2009, 08:15 PM) *
I tend to take many of the warnings with a grain of salt and I am sure I will get more up-to-date information once I am in Thailand. Then, if things sound a bit too risky, I always have an alternative to fall back on (in my case, it will probably be Laos).

Really great way to think, Brian. Remember that you are never "forced" to spend time somewhere where you feel uncomfortable. If you think your life is in danger, by all means, get out!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
westalan80
post Sep 12 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3229353

Zimbabwe reminded me of the majestic Victoria falls visit when i took a trip to Zambabwe. Its the longest waterfall in the world, a sight one must especially go out to see once in a lifetime
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:36 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.