Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> 25 most dangerous neighbourhoods in America, Is yours on there?
starlagurl
post Jun 26 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Wallet Pop again has another good article about dangerous neighbourhoods in America.

Surprisingly, a neighbourhood in Cincinnati gets the top spot! Who knew!

Jeremy, do you know this area?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
jeremystravels
post Jun 26 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

I am surprised that article gets very very focused on the specific area. It is not very large, about a dozen blocks wide. I can't say I have ever heard of that neighborhood specifically. I would imagine that area had a heavy concentration of rioters during the outbreak in 2001. According to wikipedia there is a really bad gun control problem in that small area.

I drive down 75 all the time. A few blocks around the river North and South are tons of entertainment facilities. On the Ohio side there is the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals stadium as well as a concert arena that I have been to plenty of times. Then on the Kentucky side there is Newport which has tons of shops and an out door like mall with a great aquarium and the Hofbrauhaus chain [personal favorite]. I've also been to Mount Adams slightly east of that location. I can't say I felt unsafe at any of those. It is weird that such a dangerous area is so close by.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Jun 26 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

I lived on 120th and Amsterdam in New York, which is not too far from #18 (125th and St Nicholas)...I never had any problems, but there was definitely a stigma with people from my school not wanting to go past 125th street (Harlem). In my opinion, they were missing out.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 26 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Wow! We have number 3 in Miami. I know exactly where it is, and indeed it's a pretty rough neighbourhood, but the third most dangerous in the country? I wonder! Funnily enough, the headquarters of the Miami Police Department is actually located within this area. I guess the cops are either asleep, or extremely efficient in recording all the crimes nearby.

I accessed "More on this neigbourhood", and incredibly there was an ad touting "POPULAR REAL ESTATE NEAR Miami, FL (7th Ave / North River Dr)". Are they quite out of their cotton- picking minds? With so much crime, whoever would want real estate near this area!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Jun 27 2009, 07:41 AM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 273696

You know at one point, I think around mid 2005, Wilmington, NC had the 12th highest crime rate per capita in the U.S. CNN or MSNBC did a clip about it. Most people haven't even heard of our city, and yet it can be really dangerous. We definitely roll with the big dogs when it comes to crime, not something to be proud of, but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Presumably it has to do with interstate convergence- we are the intersection for I-40, 17, 74/76, and right down from I-95. If you are travelling on the eastern seaboard, at some point in time it is likely you will be on one of these. and If you are a criminal on one of these, it is likely you are coming to Wilmington!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 29 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

In Canada, all the most dangerous places are in the rural-ish cities out west. But for Americans the danger seems to be spread out all over the place... I wonder why...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 29 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM) *

In Canada, all the most dangerous places are in the rural-ish cities out west. But for Americans the danger seems to be spread out all over the place... I wonder why...

Really? What places are you referring to? Doesn't TO also have it's fair share of dangerous neighborhoods? Or is your comment based mostly on the shootings that were happening in the Vancouver area?

If I am not mistaken, statistically, you have a much greater chance of getting killed in the Far North! yes.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 29 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Yeah, Toronto is the one exception...in general, the east is more peaceful. The article I read didn't take into account small places like in the north, but yeah the murder rates are EXTREMELY high there...proportionately...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 29 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #9

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 29 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Yeah, Toronto is the one exception...in general, the east is more peaceful. The article I read didn't take into account small places like in the north, but yeah the murder rates are EXTREMELY high there...proportionately...

I would agree that the east is more peaceful. It is probably due, in part, to the fact that they don't have the busy port such as Vancouver, which serves as an entry point for many illegal goods (drugs).

BTW, be sure to pack your bullet proof vest on your visit to Iqaluit! wink.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:35 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.