Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zambian Entry Visa
purplebuggy
post Jun 20 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Tourist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 282787

I'm going on a multi-country trip to Africa and have plans whilst I'm in Zambia to cross the border into Zimbabwe for a day. Does anyone know if I'll need a mulitple entry visa from Zambia for this or how does it work?
Is there anyone with any experience of the Vic Falls border? From the various blogs it seems pretty casual (?) compared to what people might think.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 20 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I haven't been to those particular countries yet but I would assume that their visa policies are much the same as anywhere else in the world. Unless you are exiting/entering at an unmanned border crossing, once you leave Zambia, the immigration folk should stamp your passport/visa with an exit stamp which essentially ends the validity of our current visa. At that point it doesn't matter whether you spend just a day in Zimbabwe or fly to London, you have left the country. Then, unless you have a multiple entry visa or can get a new visa at that particular port of entry (which depends on where you are from), you would not be allowed back in to Zambia. So I would go with the multiple entry visa if I were you.

I don't know anything about the Vic Falls border so hopefully someone can provide info on this and confirm what I have indicated. Have a great trip!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Jun 20 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Tourist

I'm not used to that whole "can walk across the border thing" being in Australia so thanks for the advice on that. I hope I can find some good advice on the specific border too though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
audiomike
post Jul 24 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 269446

Haven't been yet, going in Sept. '09 My understanding however is that you can pay a small fee for a one hour type deal to say you've crossed the bridge in Zim. but to actually go into the park (Falls) you have to have a multi entry Visa which for a US citizen is around US$130. and must be purchased in Zambia (airport or boarder). Try contacting the Embassy in Aus. to see what the price is for a two entry Visa. You may also be able to purchase a multi. I only know that if you're from the US you must purchase the multi in Zambia. Keep in mind that if you decide to go into Zim. you will also have to pay the park entry fee and pay for the cab ride to and from the Falls (it adds up quick).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Jul 26 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Tourist

Thanks auidomike. The park I want to go to offer a day trip across the border and give you a rough idea of how much park fees, etc cost but at least the transport is provided! (I figure I'm willing to pay for the chance to walk with lions....) And hey, maybe we'll see each other - I'll be there in Sep 09 too!

pb
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post Aug 22 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 294091

You need a multiple entry visa. But you need to tell the immigration people you are going into Zimbabwe or they wont give you an exit stamp so you wont be given an entry stamp into Zimbabwe either.
Most people just go onto the bridge either to look at the falls or to bungy jump. So immigration automatically give you a piece of paper to basically say youre staying within no mans land.
If you want to cross completely you need to get the exit stamp, or Zimbabwe wont let you in. You could cross without a multiple entry but youre the one whose going to have to pay the horrible visa fee to get back in again!
For UK citizens it was about $150 when I went last August.

Hope this helps
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post Aug 22 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 294091

QUOTE(purplebuggy @ Jul 26 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Thanks auidomike. The park I want to go to offer a day trip across the border and give you a rough idea of how much park fees, etc cost but at least the transport is provided! (I figure I'm willing to pay for the chance to walk with lions....) And hey, maybe we'll see each other - I'll be there in Sep 09 too!

pb

You know you can walk with lions in Zambia too right? That's where I did it because I didnt get the multi entry visa and couldnt afford to pay it again to get back in Zambia.
It is a truly amazing experience!
I cant remember the place that it actually was but I organised it through Grubbys Grotto (campsite). It was $35 for an hour with the lions and th guides are really good. They make sure each person gets a photo withthem and they take your camera to get good shot of you while you walk with them and stroke them.

I think theres one or two pictures on my blog.

www.travelpod.com/members/gemmacakebread
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
purplebuggy
post Oct 7 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #8

Tourist

I ended up crossing over to Zimbabwe for the day on a double entry visa which was easy as pie to get at the Botswana/Namibia/ Zimbabwe/Zambia multi-border. It was so worth it! Not only did I get to help the dwindling tourism inductry in Zim but we definately had a more personalised day than those who stuck to the Zambian side. There is only one company apparently who does it on the Zambian side but I did it with ALERT, just over the border. A wonderful organisation who are attempting to rehabilitate them into the wild with a breeding programme. Photos on your own camera and a professional video are available. We also did an elephant safari (orphaned elephants...) which was just as wonderful.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:49 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.