Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need a little help with spices, food question
beenthere7
post Jul 25 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8128

Hi all!

I am going to spend about two weeks in Thailand next month and am really nervous about the food. The main problem - I don't like spicy food. (I think the salsa at Chili's is just right.)

Could anyone share some advice on what to eat and what to avoid? I'd really appreciate it!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jul 25 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

It all depends on how much you can handle. The longer you are in a country, the more you will be able to handle

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 25 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

If it's the 'heat' you don't like , then stay away from chilli's. That's where the heat is. Spices generally just provide a vast array of flavours. So when you go eat, just ask...'No chillies!'

If it's 'spices' and their flavours that you don't like then you need to be more picky. Simple stir-fried dishes with garlic, nuts or the mild 'oyster sauce' type dishes (and some soups) won't be 'spicy' but will still be boootiful!

And definitely don't worry about it, you'll find something you like more or less immediately. Having said that, don't be afraid to try things either. You never know, the best dish you've ever had may just have a fiery red chilli poking out of the top!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jul 26 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

Over the years, I have built Lucinate up to the point that she likes it hot. However, in Turkey, she was eating raw chillis, but by the time we got to Pakistan, the chillis there are so much hotter. We both love spicey food in Thailand, and eat loads of it, however, when it comes to the stars on the side of a menu, I think the tast of a three, is far nicer than a two. If you can only have a one, go for a pad thai. Also, you will find that they make the dishes for Westeners far milder than for locals, especially in the touristy type restaurants.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:54 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.