Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italy in September for 2 weeks, Advice/Suggestions
asam78
post May 9 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2874903
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My husband and I are traveling to Italy in September. This is our itinerary.

Fly into Rome
Day 1-4: Rome
Day 5: Day trip to Pompeii or Amalfi Coast
Day 6: Rental car in Villa Borghese and drive to Orvieto and San Gimignano
Day 8: Drive to Cinque Terre (stop at Pisa and Chiani along the way)
Day 9: Cinque Terre
Day 10: Drive to Florence and drop off rental car at Florence airport and take a bus to the center
Day 11: Florence
Day 12: Train to Venice
Day 13: Venice
Day 14: Venice
Day 15: Fly home

I have a few questions:
1) Do you recommend starting in Rome and traveling towards Venice or starting in Venice and traveling towards Rome?
2) Do you recommend any other places in Tuscany such as Montepulciano, Cortona, Lucca? If so, how would you rate them in order of "must see" vs. "not as important."
3) If I had 1 extra day, would you use that extra day to travel to Pompeii in a day trip and use the next day to see the Amalfi Coast or would you use that extra day to stay in Siena and explore more of Tuscany?
4) After renting a car in Rome, would you recommend any other stops on the way to Tuscany besides Orvieto or SG?
5) After renting a car in Rome, where would you stay the night? In Siena or elsewhere?
6) If you had to choose one day trip, would you choose a day trip to Pompeii or to the Amalfi Coast (Capri, Sorrento, etc).

Thank you in advance!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
liscio
post May 10 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #2

Drifter

Member No.: 1773471

Hello,
where are you from? when will you come to Italy (first, or second half?)
do you enjoy driving?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
asam78
post May 10 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(liscio @ May 10 2012, 06:10 AM) *

Hello,
where are you from? when will you come to Italy (first, or second half?)
do you enjoy driving?

We can go to Italy at anytime in September. Is there a time you recommend over the other?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
liscio
post May 10 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Drifter

Hello,
i just gave (yesterday) some advices to a friend couple, coming from SuthDakota... john, are you? biggrin.gif ahahah
anyway, i'd suggest you not to come on the first days of september, 'cause is considered yet as a part of summer-holidays... so, places would be more crowded... and hot..... first half of september, expecially in Rome and Pompei, can be very hot.
I'll think about your questions, and post a reply soon.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
asam78
post May 10 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(liscio @ May 10 2012, 11:36 AM) *

Hello,
i just gave (yesterday) some advices to a friend couple, coming from SuthDakota... john, are you? biggrin.gif ahahah
anyway, i'd suggest you not to come on the first days of september, 'cause is considered yet as a part of summer-holidays... so, places would be more crowded... and hot..... first half of september, expecially in Rome and Pompei, can be very hot.
I'll think about your questions, and post a reply soon.

Oh sorry. No I'm not John. I didn't post where I was from. From Los Angeles. Thank you!

So the latter half of September then? What about October?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
liscio
post May 10 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Usually, in October, southern Italy (like Amalfi, Pompei) is good weather, some kind of summer (but daylight is shorter, and sun goes down earlier)

Anyway, weather in october can be odd, but every year it's a different thing... if you want to take the "risk", in october, there is very less turists, expecially less internal tourists (italians)... so, it can be more peaceful, and pretty nice... even if, the most-must-see places are crowded 365 days... i mean, Venice, Colosseo (Rome), San Pietro (Rome), Firenze...

it's up to you... personally, i usually spend the summer in the mountains, and i tour the cities in fall/spring... i really hate crowded places.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
liscio
post Jul 18 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Hello!
Did you plan your trip?
Do you need any help/advice?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chipnputt
post Sep 11 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 291905

QUOTE(asam78 @ May 9 2012, 11:14 PM) *

My husband and I are traveling to Italy in September. This is our itinerary.

Fly into Rome
Day 1-4: Rome
Day 5: Day trip to Pompeii or Amalfi Coast
Day 6: Rental car in Villa Borghese and drive to Orvieto and San Gimignano
Day 8: Drive to Cinque Terre (stop at Pisa and Chiani along the way)
Day 9: Cinque Terre
Day 10: Drive to Florence and drop off rental car at Florence airport and take a bus to the center
Day 11: Florence
Day 12: Train to Venice
Day 13: Venice
Day 14: Venice
Day 15: Fly home

I have a few questions:
1) Do you recommend starting in Rome and traveling towards Venice or starting in Venice and traveling towards Rome?
2) Do you recommend any other places in Tuscany such as Montepulciano, Cortona, Lucca? If so, how would you rate them in order of "must see" vs. "not as important."
3) If I had 1 extra day, would you use that extra day to travel to Pompeii in a day trip and use the next day to see the Amalfi Coast or would you use that extra day to stay in Siena and explore more of Tuscany?
4) After renting a car in Rome, would you recommend any other stops on the way to Tuscany besides Orvieto or SG?
5) After renting a car in Rome, where would you stay the night? In Siena or elsewhere?
6) If you had to choose one day trip, would you choose a day trip to Pompeii or to the Amalfi Coast (Capri, Sorrento, etc).

Thank you in advance!

Hello,
When you are in Tuscany go to Siena!!!! See the Dome....hopefully the floors will be uncovered in Sept. ..... the artwork in them is amazing. Lucca is an interesting town.....get a city map....it is easy to get lost in there. One of the greatest walled cities in Italy. If you are into history.....go to Pompeii....if you are into stunning scenery....go to the Amalfi Coast....Postitano for sure! Grab a Rick Steves Travel book....he gives a great overview of all. Have fun....we are going again in October!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 06:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.