Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy Bike Ride..., Am I the only one who thinks this is a crazy idea?
semi-backpacker
post Jun 15 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

I'm all for people's right to exercise...but, this is crazy.
Apparently the French government is allowing prison inmates to bike on public roads...

http://www.hrmorning.com/hrs-strange-side-...-a-bit-too-far/

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jun 15 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

I can see both sides really - yes to a certain extent these people are criminals and have done wrong, but I also like to think that some people deserve a chance at rehabilitation (possibly not the right word).

I think a ride like this could serve several purposes to some - seriously, 1400 miles on a bike, it could be life changing for some - give someone a sense of achievement, build their self esteem, endless positives really.

Do we give some people a second chance, a chance to prove they made a mistake - or should we just lock people up and throw away the key?

I dunno, sometimes these things aren't just black and white - there is room for grey areas maybe.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 15 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

"The prisoners will be followed around by 124 bicycle-riding guards. Let’s see now: 200 prisoners and 124 guards. By our math, that leaves 76 unaccompanied felons pedaling toward freedom on the French countryside."

Whoah! I don't think they'd be able to get away anyway. Those bicycle police are pretty buff.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 16 2009, 03:07 AM
Post #4

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

I read this a couple of weeks ago and found it quite funny. Mainly because they're modelling it on the Tour de France as a bike race, and then they go on to say "No breakaways will be permitted"... well in that case its not really a race?!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Jun 16 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

QUOTE(travelmonster @ Jun 15 2009, 02:28 PM) *

I can see both sides really - yes to a certain extent these people are criminals and have done wrong, but I also like to think that some people deserve a chance at rehabilitation (possibly not the right word).

I think a ride like this could serve several purposes to some - seriously, 1400 miles on a bike, it could be life changing for some - give someone a sense of achievement, build their self esteem, endless positives really.

Do we give some people a second chance, a chance to prove they made a mistake - or should we just lock people up and throw away the key?

I dunno, sometimes these things aren't just black and white - there is room for grey areas maybe.

Some good points and I really do believe in rehabilitation (except in the case of people that have committed violent crimes), but I guess I'm wondering if this race is the only way to provide that feeling of accomplishment. Seems like a high risk.

On another note, I read in the New York times, that the race began this weekend and so far, nobody's "escaped"...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ashleyrenee
post Jun 18 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 281195
Nominate me as a Local Expert

another crazy idea is that a friend of mine and some guys we all went to highschool with are planning a bike trip across the united states, Oregon to Boston Mas. Then with their bikes getting on a plane to bike all over europe!! It sounds like an Amazing adventure i wish i could go!

--------------------
Best Wishes,
Ashley

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”- St. Augustine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Jun 18 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

QUOTE(ashleyrenee @ Jun 18 2009, 05:20 PM) *

another crazy idea is that a friend of mine and some guys we all went to highschool with are planning a bike trip across the united states, Oregon to Boston Mas. Then with their bikes getting on a plane to bike all over europe!! It sounds like an Amazing adventure i wish i could go!

Wow, that's crazy, but sounds like fun! I wonder how long it'll take them to go from Oregon to Boston? Also, I assume since bicycles aren't allowed on most major highways, that they will need to take backroads...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ashleyrenee
post Jun 19 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #8

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 281195
Nominate me as a Local Expert

yes there is some kind of mapped out trail they are following

--------------------
Best Wishes,
Ashley

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”- St. Augustine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 11:39 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.