Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> buses in Peru, need a bus ticket to leave peru
jdarby
post Jun 14 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 279052
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Iīm currently travelling in Colombia Medellin. I had plane ticket going from Costa Rica to Cartagena Colombia on May 14th then flying out of Medellin today June 14th.

When I got to the airport the airline informed me that i needed a return ticket either by bus or plane showing that i will be leaving the country. I planned on buying bus tickets once in Peru to go to La Paz.

The issue is that i donīt know how to purchase a bus ticket without being in that country and the airline wouldnīt let me on the plane unless i bought an airline ticket to another country or could show them proof of a bus ticket leaving peru (which i canīt because i am in colombia). I even had a ticket showing that i am leaving costa rica going to the states in Aug that i provided as proof that i would be moving on but they said this wouldnīt suffice since it didnīt prove that i will be leaving peru.

Do you know a way to purchase bus tickets from peru to bolivar while i am in colombia. I think this would be the cheapest way to overcome this issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 15 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Wow...that isn't very nice of them, is it?

Maybe this bus company can help you?

http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/inicio_2.php

Edit: I just asked my Mexican friend if she knew, and she said that this company goes from Peru to La Paz: http://www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe/home.php

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jun 15 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

^ ^ ^ Both those bus companies are really good, good luck!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 15 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Well that's a good thing, thanks for verifying, Kathryn.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 16 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

In the security world it is called "profiling"

It is highly unusual to be asked for an onward ticket when entering a country, unless you look so down and out that the immigration officer may feel that you could run out of money at any time while in the country.

The biggest red flag you can wave at airline check-in is a one-way ticket. Although rarely implemented, most countries do indeed require proof on onward travel, or at least that you show sufficient funds to be able to support yourself during your stay and be able to leave the country at the end of your stay. If you are stopped by immigration on arrival, and you don't have either of the requirements, the airline will be fined for allowing you aboard at your originating city.

This is also a red flag for security as incredibly most terrorists only purchase one-way tickets.

It comes down to one basic truth. Don't profile yourself as a down and out. Don't arrive in a country with a one-way ticket looking like a scarecrow, hippy or gypsy. If you arrive properly dressed and looking reasonably decent, you will rarely have a problem. After you have got through immigration, you can revert to your scungy travel clothes, until it is time to leave and enter another country.

One way of getting over this problem is to purchase full-fare refundable air tickets on your credit card to the nearest point in the next country, print out the internet copy, and then cancel the ticket for a full refund to your card. It would be extremely rare for anyone to go to the trouble of actually checking to see if your ticket is still valid, unless, of course, you are looking like something the cat just dragged in.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lauradavis
post Jun 23 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 283387

Just how many terrorists do you know?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 23 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Really...I seem to be giving away secrets, though we all hope that only travellers and not terrorists read these forums. I have yet to see a terrorist write a travel blog! It would probably have a sad ending anyway.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lauradavis
post Jun 24 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 283387

I heard that airlines get fined if someone uses a one-way ticket and then doesn't leave the country they are heading to for quite some time. Then, when they do finally leave, it logs in the system that they came with 'such and such' an airline, stayed over their alotted stay, and the airlines can be fined. Then again, maybe it's just codswallop. But I'd heard. Cruz del Sur are excellent, by the way. Had bad experiences with Ormeno.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:04 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chincha Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Lazaro Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.