Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Full Moon Party - tips and tricks, Extract from marcpassiontravel.com
marcpassion
post Jun 13 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 282049

Techno! Techno! Techno! Techno! Nowhere celebrates the full moon quite like Ko Pha-Ngan. This is the place your mate told you about and the location of many a horrific Facebook photo. Get your glow sticks out and have it large!

Passionís Passage
The nearest airport is on Ko Samui, which is only a 15Km ferry ride to Ko Pha-Ngan. Alternatively, there are boats available from Ko Tao (58km) and Surat Thani (100km).

Finding the beats
Ko Pha-Ngan is about 100 square kilometers, so itís not one big nightclub as some seem to believe. But, even a sun burnt farang loaded up on mushy-shakes and vodka Redbull canít miss Hat Rin Nok as they step off the Hat Rin Nai ferry.

As the name suggests, the Full Moon Party is held on the monthly climax of our only lunar satellite (i.e. check your calendar). But there are Half-Moon and Black Moon Parties throughout the year if youíre visit isnít on the 28th day.

The beach
Hat Rin Nok has been the Full Moon Party location for over thirty; first started by Paradise Bungalows to say farewell to a local monk. Now, the beach is a religious ground for glow stick wielding backpackers and the only place youíll ever seriously consider wearing body paint.

30,000 sweaty people squeeze onto Hat Rin Nok during the busy season of December to April. But, youíll have just as much fun in the quiet season of June to September when about 5,000 people show up, plus youíll have the added bonus of shorter queues and chill out space.

Getting wasted
The sun is down, the techno is up and youíve got the sand of Ko Pha-Ngan between your toesÖ time to get wasted! Youíre diet for the next twelve hours will probably consist of alcohol, pad thai and the (in)famous mushy shake.

Thereís only one place to get mushy shakes and that Mountain Bar at the north end of Hat Rin Nok. Go upstairs, take your shoes off and go to the odd looking counter next to the DJ. A plastic cup of foul tasting gunk will set you back 200 Baht. Enjoy!

For those who prefer binge drinking, you canít miss locals selling buckets of spirits and mixers for relatively cheap prices. The backpackersí favorite is the Vodka Redbull bucket, the mixer being the extra strength stuff sold in SE Asia.

As your legs turn to jelly on your mushroom, vodka, Redbull adventure, unsavory characters will approach offering an even better time. Just say Ďnoí, keep walking and find your favorite genre of dance music.

A word from your mother
Most people have the time of their lives at the Full Moon Party, but it can also go very Pete Tong. As in the rest of Thailand, drugs are illegal and youíll go down for many a year if caught with even small amounts. The cops work undercover and have the power to strip search. There are also pick pockets, local gangs and thieves all waiting for their moment. Sounds fun, eh? Best stick to the main streets and donít leave your mates! If youíre carrying expensive cameras, etc, hire a room for one night and keep everything in the hotel safe. Itíll set you back 2,000 Baht, but itís better to be safe than sorry.

Was it worth it?
This is a must for anyone into dance music and clubbing. Itís also a relatively cheap night as the party is free (apart from an island charge when you get off the ferry) and the drinks reasonably priced. For those on a tight budget, you can even stay up all night and get the first ferry back to Ko Samui, but BE WARNED, you wonít be feeling so euphoric sailing back on choppy seas.

Other activities on Ko Pha-Ngan
Ko Pha-Ngan is a beautiful island that, some would say, has been spoilt by the Full Moon Parties. You can make up your own mind by staying at any of the small villages dotted around. Chilling out, snorkeling and swimming in turquoise seas are the main activities on Ko Pha-Ngan. Thereís also a 10 day Buddhist meditation retreat (www.watkowtahm.org) for those looking for spiritual enlightenment.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 15 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Whaaaaaaat? People still use glowsticks?
I don't think this is my scene anymore... I would've loved it back when I was 17-19 though...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 17 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 15 2009, 01:31 PM) *

Whaaaaaaat? People still use glowsticks?
I don't think this is my scene anymore... I would've loved it back when I was 17-19 though...

Yeah, I hear you on that.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Jun 29 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #4

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

I have never been into the clubbing/techno scene....more of a pub/bar goer myself.....but saying that I would probably still check the Full Moon Party out just to see what the hype is all about.....

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jun 30 2009, 03:28 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I stayed on KPN for Christmas and New Year parties and then went back 10 days later for the full moon. 30,000 people was a bit of an understatement for the full moon. There were at least 50,000! Finding anywhere to stay was a nightmare even though I arrived 2 days early.

But I'm going back for one more round of Sangsom buckets and Chicken Corner Schnitzel later this year biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 30 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yeah, I agree with you guys. I'd probably go once, get disappointed and never go again... it's probably like New Year's Eve in Times Square haha.

All this for what again? A shiny ball of light?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Jul 19 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Member No.: 195337

It depends- things don't have to be your 'thing' to enjoy. You may not go to churches in your own country but you'll visit temples in another. I rarely got to clubs etc here but loved full moon.

Like any experience abroad if you start with right attitude you'll always have an awesome time in general.

May do another full moon this year.... become a seasoned veteran.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 19 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(raniroo @ Jun 30 2009, 12:39 AM) *

I have never been into the clubbing/techno scene....more of a pub/bar goer myself.....but saying that I would probably still check the Full Moon Party out just to see what the hype is all about.....

Yeah, I think you gotta go at least once. There are smaller parties too that are really fun. We always went to the fm parties but we never went to anything really crazy. Just not our scene. We went on Lanta quite a bit with our Thai friends. It was fun partying with them and they would always hassle us to go until we said yes anyway!

QUOTE(rbisset @ Jun 30 2009, 04:28 AM) *

I stayed on KPN for Christmas and New Year parties and then went back 10 days later for the full moon. 30,000 people was a bit of an understatement for the full moon. There were at least 50,000! Finding anywhere to stay was a nightmare even though I arrived 2 days early.

But I'm going back for one more round of Sangsom buckets and Chicken Corner Schnitzel later this year biggrin.gif

What? 50,000 people? That's insane. I had no idea it was that huge! There's gotta be a whole lotta people getting lit right up who turn completely undesirable......

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
galaxyman07
post Aug 13 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 218601

anyone heading to ko phangan 2nd half of sept 09?
im hopefully gonna check out the half moon and black moon parties
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:51 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.