Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NZ travel advice, soon in NZ
clauds123
post Jun 11 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 281873
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me? I am planning a 2 week trip to NZ with my gf at the end of Dec top of Jan. This is our first trip to NZ and we would like to know which are the best places to visit? Please remember that we will only have 2 weeks, so we need to make the most of it.
Thanks in advance for all your help

Hope to hear from you soon.
Claud
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 11 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Claud, you've come to the right place. New Zealand Local Expert Ron (nztravelguide) should be able to help you soon.

In the meantime, can you get more specific about stuff that you like to do? Do you want adventure or relaxation? Do you want to rough it or go in style?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clauds123
post Jun 11 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #3

Hi starlgurl smile.gif

Thanks for your quick reply smile.gif
In fact, we would like to mix the adventure with relaxation smile.gif See as much as possible in different places, enjoy some attractions and do it in a fairly comfortable way, not too rough, but not too stylish either smile.gif

Any ideas? smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 11 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I have never been there so I don't have any personal evidence, but check out some blogs if you haven't already:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-count...aland/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clauds123
post Jun 11 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Great smile.gif
Thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Jun 12 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(clauds123 @ Jun 11 2009, 10:48 AM) *

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me? I am planning a 2 week trip to NZ with my gf at the end of Dec top of Jan. This is our first trip to NZ and we would like to know which are the best places to visit? Please remember that we will only have 2 weeks, so we need to make the most of it.

Claud

be glad to answer your questions and help with an itinerary that will see the two weeks in New Zealand will be the best you will ever have.....Ron
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clauds123
post Jun 13 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(nztravelguide @ Jun 12 2009, 06:10 PM) *

Hi all,

Claud

be glad to answer your questions and help with an itinerary that will see the two weeks in New Zealand will be the best you will ever have.....Ron

Hi,
Basically, this will be our first trip to NZ, so we don't know anything over there. Could you simply advice us on where to go and how to make the most of the two weeks?
Many thanks,
Claud
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Jun 13 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Pathfinder

Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(clauds123 @ Jun 13 2009, 02:39 PM) *

Hi all,

Claud

Hi,
Basically, this will be our first trip to NZ, so we don't know anything over there. Could you simply advice us on where to go and how to make the most of the two weeks?
Many thanks,
Claud

Since you haven’t provided any information about what you want to experience, how you plan to get around, or any idea of what you like it makes it almost impossible to be of help. I had asked you to contact me to get a questionnaire to fill out so I would be able to help you.
It makes a difference if you are driving a car, a camper or on a bus or flying around and I can’t help with accommodation recommendations as a result….
Anyhow – here is a general 14 day itinerary in New Zealand…………….more information at www.newzealandtravelguide.net

Day 1 - -
Fly into Auckland and pick up vehicle and head south to Matamata to visit Hobbiton. 2 1/2 hour drive from Auckland. Route One to route 2 to route 27. www.hobbitontours.com. Depending upon when you arrive will determine what will become of the day. They have tours all day long until late in the afternoon with tours lasting around 2 hours or more.
Or you may wish to go south to the Waitomo caves….
After your Hobbiton adventure I recommend driving on to the geo-thermal wonderland of Rotorua another hour’s drive south. Try to book a Maori hangi and show for the evening.

Day 2/3 -
Spend some time today enjoying the wonders of Rotorua before pushing south. Take route 30 to Route One to Lake Taupo continuing south past through the central desert country passing the volcanoes of Tongariro and Ruapehu on to stop somewhere north of Wellington depending on how much you wish to drive. Driving time from Rotorua to Wellington is around 7 1/2 hours. Taupo is a good stop for accommodation. All the rest of the way it is small towns. Pleasant drive though.

Day 4 - The capital city of Wellington. I recommend going to the Museum of Te Papa on the waterfront. A day in Wellington to have a look around. You might have to take whatever crossing on the ferry you can get right now to determine when you cross over. It is a 3 1/2 hour trip and this is when every Kiwi in the country will cross this time of year. You also need to get a booking at the lodge you plan to spend tomorrow night at and the taxi boat to take you over. I believe it will all be worth the trouble...........one of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion.

Day 5/6 -
Stay at a Lodge in the Marlborough Sounds
Recommend Portage, Bay of Many Coves, Lochmara

Day 7 - -
Leave Picton for the south. Since we only have a few days I will try to get you around as much as possible without pushing you along. From Picton take route one south through the Marlborough Wine Country, Blenheim, and on to Kaikoura home to the whales. On the ride south before Kaikoura the coast line becomes very rocky. This is where hundreds of seals hang out. There are spots to pull off you will see. If you wish to se the whales up close stop by the Whalewatch as you enter town on your left. Big parking area and also a big parking area in the downtown area.
Good place to spend the day. Driving time is 2 hours from Picton.

Day 8 -
From Kaikoura drive south to route 70 to route 7 and the turnoff to Hanmer Springs the top hot springs in New Zealand. Stop and enjoy a soak! Even in hot weather it is a fabulous place. 2 hour drive from Kaikoura.
Now continue west on route 7 through Springs Junction and then Reefton. Stop in Reefton to visit the old miners and go into the Information Centre. From Reefton continue on route 69 to route 6 and follow the Buller River then route 6 south. Be sure to stop at Punaikaki Rocks. This area past Charleston in a very scenic coastline. Stay in the Greymouth area for the night. 3 1/2 hour drive.

Day 9-
On south on route 6. Be sure to stop in the top arts and crafts town Hokitika. Go to the beach. From there on south to Glacier Country. Stop to see the home of the giant sandfly at Pukekura south of Ross. Go into their museum to see the animals. This is pure West Coast!
On to Franz Josef to see the glaciers. Stay the night. Good spot is the Rainforest Retreat in town. You can walk to the glaciers or walk them or fly to them and land.
Driving time is 2 1/2 hours. Short drive!

Day 10 -
From Franz Josef on south to Fox Glacier. Just another small town that is a repeat of what you have already experienced. We have a long drive today so don’t linger.
Here we go to the end of the West Coast at Haast and turn inland through the Haast River Valley and into the Mount Aspiring National Park. Be sure to stop and see Thunder Falls and the Gates of Haast just beyond. Awesome! On up the mountain through to Makarora past Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea to come to Wanaka.
Stop at Puzzle House. Stay in Wanaka tonight. Driving time is 5 hours.
Perhaps you may wish to break this drive by staying in the middle at the Makarora Wilderness camp….?

Day 11 -
Off to Queenstown on route 6 driving along Lake Dunstan then going through the Kawarau Gorge. Wine Country. Stop to watch the bungy jump. Then next turn go onto Arrowtown an old gold mining village re-done. See the Chinese Village. Make up your mind if you want to stay in this area or try to go in to the busiest place in the South Island - Queenstown . Driving time from Wanaka is 1 1/2 hours. After Arrowtown turn and go back to Cromwell and on……as below…..or

Day 12 -
You may wish to stay here in Queenstown. Or return on route 6 to Cromwell north on route 8 through the magic of Lindis Pass to Omarama, Twizal and on to Mt Cook for the night.
4 1/2 hour drive in fabulous country. Stay at the Hermitage. Top place in New Zealand.

Day 13 -
From Mt Cook continue through the fabulous Mckenzie Country to Lake Tekapo. Just before Tekapo there is a side road to Mt. John Observatory. Be sure to go up there (if not windy). Best view eve out over the Mckenzie Country and they have an all glass cafe at the top! After stop at the Lake and see the little church on the shoreline. Driving on through this area to Geraldine. Stop here at the little shopping centre on the edge of town. On the other end stop to visit the Peter J Caley gallery, a top Maori artist. The driving time to here from Mt. Cook is 2 1/2 hours. It is another hour to Christchurch. I recommend the Devon B&B right downtown if possible.
www.devonbandbhotel.co.nz . Easy access to everything and a beautiful spot to stay.

Day 14 – Leave from Christchurch
Whatever time you may have explore the city before flying out?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clauds123
post Jun 15 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(nztravelguide @ Jun 13 2009, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(clauds123 @ Jun 13 2009, 02:39 PM) *

Hi all,

Claud

Hi,
Many thanks,
Claud

Since you haven’t provided any information about what you want to experience, how you plan to get around, or any idea of what you like it makes it almost impossible to be of help. I had asked you to contact me to get a questionnaire to fill out so I would be able to help you.
It makes a difference if you are driving a car, a camper or on a bus or flying around and I can’t help with accommodation recommendations as a result….
Anyhow – here is a general 14 day itinerary in New Zealand…………….more information at www.newzealandtravelguide.net

Day 1 - -
Fly into Auckland and pick up vehicle and head south to Matamata to visit Hobbiton. 2 1/2 hour drive from Auckland. Route One to route 2 to route 27. www.hobbitontours.com. Depending upon when you arrive will determine what will become of the day. They have tours all day long until late in the afternoon with tours lasting around 2 hours or more.
Or you may wish to go south to the Waitomo caves….
After your Hobbiton adventure I recommend driving on to the geo-thermal wonderland of Rotorua another hour’s drive south. Try to book a Maori hangi and show for the evening.

Day 2/3 -
Spend some time today enjoying the wonders of Rotorua before pushing south. Take route 30 to Route One to Lake Taupo continuing south past through the central desert country passing the volcanoes of Tongariro and Ruapehu on to stop somewhere north of Wellington depending on how much you wish to drive. Driving time from Rotorua to Wellington is around 7 1/2 hours. Taupo is a good stop for accommodation. All the rest of the way it is small towns. Pleasant drive though.

Day 4 - The capital city of Wellington. I recommend going to the Museum of Te Papa on the waterfront. A day in Wellington to have a look around. You might have to take whatever crossing on the ferry you can get right now to determine when you cross over. It is a 3 1/2 hour trip and this is when every Kiwi in the country will cross this time of year. You also need to get a booking at the lodge you plan to spend tomorrow night at and the taxi boat to take you over. I believe it will all be worth the trouble...........one of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion.

Day 5/6 -
Stay at a Lodge in the Marlborough Sounds
Recommend Portage, Bay of Many Coves, Lochmara

Day 7 - -
Leave Picton for the south. Since we only have a few days I will try to get you around as much as possible without pushing you along. From Picton take route one south through the Marlborough Wine Country, Blenheim, and on to Kaikoura home to the whales. On the ride south before Kaikoura the coast line becomes very rocky. This is where hundreds of seals hang out. There are spots to pull off you will see. If you wish to se the whales up close stop by the Whalewatch as you enter town on your left. Big parking area and also a big parking area in the downtown area.
Good place to spend the day. Driving time is 2 hours from Picton.

Day 8 -
From Kaikoura drive south to route 70 to route 7 and the turnoff to Hanmer Springs the top hot springs in New Zealand. Stop and enjoy a soak! Even in hot weather it is a fabulous place. 2 hour drive from Kaikoura.
Now continue west on route 7 through Springs Junction and then Reefton. Stop in Reefton to visit the old miners and go into the Information Centre. From Reefton continue on route 69 to route 6 and follow the Buller River then route 6 south. Be sure to stop at Punaikaki Rocks. This area past Charleston in a very scenic coastline. Stay in the Greymouth area for the night. 3 1/2 hour drive.

Day 9-
On south on route 6. Be sure to stop in the top arts and crafts town Hokitika. Go to the beach. From there on south to Glacier Country. Stop to see the home of the giant sandfly at Pukekura south of Ross. Go into their museum to see the animals. This is pure West Coast!
On to Franz Josef to see the glaciers. Stay the night. Good spot is the Rainforest Retreat in town. You can walk to the glaciers or walk them or fly to them and land.
Driving time is 2 1/2 hours. Short drive!

Day 10 -
From Franz Josef on south to Fox Glacier. Just another small town that is a repeat of what you have already experienced. We have a long drive today so don’t linger.
Here we go to the end of the West Coast at Haast and turn inland through the Haast River Valley and into the Mount Aspiring National Park. Be sure to stop and see Thunder Falls and the Gates of Haast just beyond. Awesome! On up the mountain through to Makarora past Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea to come to Wanaka.
Stop at Puzzle House. Stay in Wanaka tonight. Driving time is 5 hours.
Perhaps you may wish to break this drive by staying in the middle at the Makarora Wilderness camp….?

Day 11 -
Off to Queenstown on route 6 driving along Lake Dunstan then going through the Kawarau Gorge. Wine Country. Stop to watch the bungy jump. Then next turn go onto Arrowtown an old gold mining village re-done. See the Chinese Village. Make up your mind if you want to stay in this area or try to go in to the busiest place in the South Island - Queenstown . Driving time from Wanaka is 1 1/2 hours. After Arrowtown turn and go back to Cromwell and on……as below…..or

Day 12 -
You may wish to stay here in Queenstown. Or return on route 6 to Cromwell north on route 8 through the magic of Lindis Pass to Omarama, Twizal and on to Mt Cook for the night.
4 1/2 hour drive in fabulous country. Stay at the Hermitage. Top place in New Zealand.

Day 13 -
From Mt Cook continue through the fabulous Mckenzie Country to Lake Tekapo. Just before Tekapo there is a side road to Mt. John Observatory. Be sure to go up there (if not windy). Best view eve out over the Mckenzie Country and they have an all glass cafe at the top! After stop at the Lake and see the little church on the shoreline. Driving on through this area to Geraldine. Stop here at the little shopping centre on the edge of town. On the other end stop to visit the Peter J Caley gallery, a top Maori artist. The driving time to here from Mt. Cook is 2 1/2 hours. It is another hour to Christchurch. I recommend the Devon B&B right downtown if possible.
www.devonbandbhotel.co.nz . Easy access to everything and a beautiful spot to stay.

Day 14 – Leave from Christchurch
Whatever time you may have explore the city before flying out?

wow... thanks for that, I really appreciate it, it sounds great smile.gif
we were thinking about using public transport (buses, trains), but if car rental is not so expensive, then it could also be an option smile.gif
we basically want to see some beautiful places and experience some attractions, shows, etc... I guess we would like to mix a bit of everything together smile.gif
So how can I get this questionnaire to fill out?
Thanks smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clauds123
post Jun 16 2009, 03:23 AM
Post #10

Hi again,
I just realised something. We will probably be flying in and out of the same airport (Auckland or Wellington), so we cannot really do the above trip, as you suggest to fly in to Auckland and fly out from Christchurch sad.gif
Sorry for being a real pain in the ... but, any other suggestions? smile.gif
Cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bedtimebaer
post Jul 14 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 287372

Hey there are buses that go all around the north and south island and u can take them as fast or as slow as you want . I think they are called stray and magic buses. They stop at the most interesting places and make sure u have a bed in each town. They are really great. Just a suggestion but from my experience Queenstown is the place to be and do EVERYTHING on the south island so spend more then a day there and do a crazy adrenaline combo pac or summit! Cheers- Jim
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 10:39 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.