Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yakushima / Slow train pass help
yafnaf
post Jun 9 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 275992
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello, I am looking into different ways of getting myself to Yakushima from Tokyo, basically I want the cheapest way possible, I have even considered Hitch Hiking. haha. I have found this Rail Pass which is called Seishun 18 http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html apparently its only on slow trains not Shinkansen which is fine by me for $150 it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Is anyone familiar with this type of pass? Is it even possible to get down to Kagoshima (which is where I would take a ferry over to Yakushima) on slow trains? I must admit I am pretty confused when it comes to the Japanese rail system.

If anyone has any advice regarding either means of transport to Yakushima or travel advice for Yakushima itself it would be much appreciated.

--------------------
David
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 10 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Wait a sec, I can't find Yakushima on a map...

But I saw this on Wikitravel:

There is a (charmingly small) airport with direct flights to/from Kagoshima.

There are ferry connections to Kagoshima and Shimama.

The "Toppy"[1] and "Rocket"[2] Jetfoil ferries can be taken from Kagoshima; they both take approximately 2 hours depending on if there are stops at Ibusuki and Tanegashima. They cost approximately 7000 yen and 5000 yen respectively and run 4 times a day, although they may stop for bad weather. They can arrive at either Miyanoura port or Anbo port, so take care to plan the following transport and accommodation accordingly.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Yakushima

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 10 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

I can understand your confusion with the Japanese rail system which I think is because there are so many lines operated by different companies. But it is still incredibly efficient once you figure out how to get where you want.

Many years ago I took a slow train in part to get to Matsue on the Japan Sea side and absolutely loved the slower pace compared to the bullet train. I think you will have a great trip and from what I can tell on the map of the website, the Seishun definitely appears to go to Kagoshima. Yakushima island also looks like an awesome place and I assume you will try to take a ferry from Kagoshima?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yafnaf
post Jun 11 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 275992
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Yeah I knew about the ferry just couldn't figure out how to get to Kagoshima.

Well Louise I know Yakushima is hard to find, its an island south of Kyushu. heres a map http://www.jal.com/world/en/guidetojapan/w...ons/img/map.gif
It's going to be awesome, I had learned of the island from someone who had posted their blog here about Japan on the Cheap http://www.japan-cheap-travel.com/ideas-yakushima.html but they hitchhiked, and while I'm not opposed to hitchhiking I think you should kind of do it without any real destination in mind.

Just in case anyone else needs to know how to take a slow train to Kagoshima I haven't figured the entire trip out and I don't think I will until I am in Japan and I just book all my trains. But I have been talking to a guy who has made the trip from Tokyo to Yakushima on the Seishun 18 and he tells me there is a night train called moonlight nagara (I think. I am going off memory here it could be moonlight something else) But he said it got him pretty far and the entire trip took him 22 hours. haha. But thats good because he only used one day on his 5 day pass. So I think I am going to do it.

--------------------
David
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 09:04 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.