Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lima to Iquitos, What's the cheapest/fastest way to get there?
joannaful
post Jun 9 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15406
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'll be going to Peru with some friends in late July/early August for two weeks and am currently trying to build a loose itinerary. So far, that only includes Machu Picchu for sure, but we're also talking about Arequipa, Cuzco, and Lake Titicaca. I'd love to go to Iquitos, but I've read that there aren't (m)any roads, so you need to go via air or waterways. Right now airfare is $430 round trip from LIM - IQT on LAN, and from what I've found so far, it looks like LAN is the only airline that flies intra-Peru. I'd love to go by boat but am not sure how long that takes, and we're kind of limited by time and other places we'd like to see. Any help/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 9 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Joannaful, here are some examples of routes by boat from Wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Iquitos

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 10 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Hello Joanna,

You are in the wrong LAN site. When you access LAN, look in the top right hand corner. You will see the text USA > Version. Click on Version and select Peru from the list below the picture. Now select your flight to Iquitos, which should come out at US$ 131.00 RT.

http://www.lan.com/index-es-pe.html

Keep in mind these fares are only available within Peru, so you can't purchase it out of the country. When in Peru, drop by a travel agent who will be able to issue the ticket (plus a nominal fee charged by the agency for this service).

The boat trip is great if you have the time, don't have a fixed schedule and don't mind travelling under pretty basic conditions, though I've never heard of anyone actually doing it both ways.

If you want a taste of the Anazon, and are in Cuzco, you might want to look into the Tambopata Reserve on the Madre de Dios river. This can be accessed by an atrocious road over the Andes or by a relatively inexpensive flight from Cuzco.

http://www.travelpod.com/s/tambopata

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lauradavis
post Jun 23 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 283387

Ah yes, I did the flight in to Manu and the atrocious road back to Cusco - breaking down 3 times on the way and arriving almost a day late! good adventure though. Stayed in a local village for a while as they fixed up the wreck of a truck. Manu is amazing. Do it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tomkidds
post Jun 24 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 283230

QUOTE(joannaful @ Jun 9 2009, 02:07 PM) *

I'll be going to Peru with some friends in late July/early August for two weeks and am currently trying to build a loose itinerary. So far, that only includes Machu Picchu for sure, but we're also talking about Arequipa, Cuzco, and Lake Titicaca. I'd love to go to Iquitos, but I've read that there aren't (m)any roads, so you need to go via air or waterways. Right now airfare is $430 round trip from LIM - IQT on LAN, and from what I've found so far, it looks like LAN is the only airline that flies intra-Peru. I'd love to go by boat but am not sure how long that takes, and we're kind of limited by time and other places we'd like to see. Any help/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

from lima the only way is by plane.
Some travelers go to pucallpa first from there take a boat,tis trip last about 3 days.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:27 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chincha Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Lazaro Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.