Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to go in Italy (Sept/Oct.)
steph_444
post Jul 20 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 28
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey there everyone. I know there were posts previously about Italy, but I kind of wanted to ask something a little bit more detailed. I've been to Italy twice and seen some amazing places, but my mother is likely coming over in Sept/Oct. for 3 weeks to Scotland to see me, and we are planning on going over to Italy for two of those weeks because she would love to see the country after all the great things I've said about it. I've been to Rome, Florence, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Venice x2, Milan, Torino, Verona myself, so I know my way around and how to travel pretty well there.
My question is, can anyone recommend any places south of Rome or in and around Tuscany that would be nice, smaller places to see? She's not as interested in Rome, which I was a little thankful about because you could honestly spend your two weeks there seeing all the sites. I loved it, and I have suggested two days there or so just to see one or two things, but she wants to see other places as well.
We would almost certainly fly into Rome therefore I don't want to go too far north and then all the way back down south again to save some time. I've looked at Tuscany and places like Siena, Cortona, Montepulciano, Arrezo, etc. look really nice to spend some time in, but there is also Naples, Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Capri (thought I might try and dodge that place by the sounds of it - too touristy??). What about Sicily? It sounds amazing as well. Geez, there is never enough time. Can anyone suggest any worthwhile places to see or stay at? We'll likely be backpacking it mostly.
Thanks so much for the help and if anyone wants to know anything about the places I've been to in Italy, let me know!!!

Steph
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Guest_MizLiz_*
post Jul 22 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(steph_444 @ Jul 20 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Hey there everyone. I know there were posts previously about Italy, but I kind of wanted to ask something a little bit more detailed. I've been to Italy twice and seen some amazing places, but my mother is likely coming over in Sept/Oct. for 3 weeks to Scotland to see me, and we are planning on going over to Italy for two of those weeks because she would love to see the country after all the great things I've said about it. I've been to Rome, Florence, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Venice x2, Milan, Torino, Verona myself, so I know my way around and how to travel pretty well there.
My question is, can anyone recommend any places south of Rome or in and around Tuscany that would be nice, smaller places to see? She's not as interested in Rome, which I was a little thankful about because you could honestly spend your two weeks there seeing all the sites. I loved it, and I have suggested two days there or so just to see one or two things, but she wants to see other places as well.
We would almost certainly fly into Rome therefore I don't want to go too far north and then all the way back down south again to save some time. I've looked at Tuscany and places like Siena, Cortona, Montepulciano, Arrezo, etc. look really nice to spend some time in, but there is also Naples, Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Capri (thought I might try and dodge that place by the sounds of it - too touristy??). What about Sicily? It sounds amazing as well. Geez, there is never enough time. Can anyone suggest any worthwhile places to see or stay at? We'll likely be backpacking it mostly.
Thanks so much for the help and if anyone wants to know anything about the places I've been to in Italy, let me know!!!

Steph

Hi Steph,

Twice now I've been to a small summer resort on the Adriatic called Cattolica. It's got a long, white sand, topless beach where we rented chairs for the week for very little cost. We stayed at a pensione which included 3 generous and homecooked meals every day, and a really nice room with bath, for $40/night for the two of us! Two years later the same pensione had gone up to $50/night, but still a great bargain.

After a lazy day at the beach watching the small fishing boats come in with their catches, we'd go back to our pensione, have a shower and a glass of wine, down for dinner, then off to people watch and wander through the small stores which stayed open until 11 pm.

A bottle of local wine cost less than a bottle of water!

I loved Cattolica and would return in a heartbeat. It was an absolutely perfect place to relax.
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jul 31 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

San Gimignano, is a lovely place in the chianti region, full of towers and you can sit back and drink chianti all day.

Not far away is both Perugia and Sienna

Ahh the life

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aquinn
post Sep 6 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16036

hi steph
i lived in cortona for awhile. unless you are there for a festival, it is a very sleepy town. little old ladies in black, men all gather in the main piazza on sundays, etc. if you go, and pane e vino is open, you must eat there. it's very 'authentic' and lovely, but perhaps not full of excitement like rome or florence or naples or sienna. arezzo is a bustling city--a nice church or two, but lots of contemporary hustle and bustle, apartment buildings, chain stores, etc. montepulciano is similarly sleepy/peaceful. still beautiful and interesting. the amalfi coast is FANTASTIC. there is no place like it. if you go late fall (october, november) there are no tourists. if you like seafood, GO. i've stayed at the hotel dei cavalieri, and i'm going back this fall. walter, the manager, is a very nice man, and so is the rest of the staff. if you go off season, prices are dirt cheap. naples is a bit scary but so real and alive.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Sep 6 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

naples is a bit scary but so real and alive

But it also has a great museum with all the best things from Pompeii

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
steph_444
post Sep 8 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 28

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the tips on places to go. I leave on Monday the 18th for about 2 weeks and I can't wait. Got everything planned out as far as places to stay go for the benefit of my mom coming with me, but the itinerary looks like Venice, Rome, Amalfi (staying in Atrani), Sienna, and then Pisa. 4 nights each in Atrani and Siena so hopefully we can get to check out Amalfi coast, Pompei, and some of the Tuscan towns you mentioned. I think Cortona and San Gimignano sound great, and maybe Montepulciano if we get the chance. Can't wait to get some warm weather. Edinburgh hasn't had the warmest summer.
Thanks again for all the tips!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Sep 8 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Trust me on this. You will have loads of fun

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
torryton
post Nov 10 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2381383

If you're away from major tourist areas, you'll find museums and attractions have shorter hours than in summer. Some things may only be open on weekends. Seaside resorts and camping areas may begin to shut down in late fall and there's less nightlife although cultural events, like theater and opera, are starting up and there are fairs and festivals, especially food festivals.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 02:32 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.