Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Longterm Travelling/Working in Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires
jphillip
post Jun 3 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 280899
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My best friend and I are hoping to be in Buenos Aires for about six months, but we have a few questions before we go.

1. Can you recommend any traveler's insurance?

2. Are work visas necessary? What kind of jobs can you get if you don't have a work visas?

3. Good neighborhoods to look for housing in/good hostels?

4. Would you recommend getting TEFL certified if we are thinking about teaching english or tutoring?

Thanks for any useful tips you can give us!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 3 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Well...I have travel insurance but I've never had to use it. It's with ManuLife, so I'm not a good source on that...

TravelPod gets some money every time someone buys insurance from the green link at the top of the page, so maybe you'll want to try that. Manulife is one of the companies that is featured there.

2. and 4. I would say that applying for a work visa and having TEFL before you go is always a good idea. Being prepared is a good thing, but probably not a necessary thing.

3. Good neighbourhoods: I know there are LOTS of parks in Buenos Aires, so you might want to find a place near a park, but those places might also be expensive, I guess it depends on how much money you have.

Check out some blogs and maybe you'll be inspired on an area to live in: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-city/...Aires/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jphillip
post Jun 3 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 280899

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Are there a lot of jobs off the books? If so, what kind of jobs are those? We'll have temporary stay visas, but no work visas so we figured that would be okay for off the books jobs.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 3 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Did you try and get a work visa?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 3 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

I think you will be pretty hard pressed to get a work visa unless you have a contact in Argentina. You can usually get teaching jobs if you have previous experience. Better still if you are TEFL certified. Don't expect to be hired at a living wage if you have never taught before. Other than teaching, you will find very few other opportunities in South America. Keep in mind that the unemployment rate is about the same as the United States at present, but wages are relatively low by North American standards.

Here is a good site on work conditions in Argentina, a bit dated (2004) and doesn't address foreign workers.
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Argentin...tina-Guide/Jobs

Do keep in mind that working without a proper visa in Argentina will label you as an illegal alien, though it is highly improbable you will ever get caught out during the short time you will be there.

If you can't get employment, at least you will find that living expenses are substantially below those of North America.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
francescof
post Jul 29 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 291379

Hi !!

Ive just returned from BA where Ive stayed 2 months. Ive stayed in an apartment in Palermo, I found it cheaper and a great option as they offer the same servicies of a hotel.
There are a lot of agencies that rent apartments, Ive used at first one but then I was recomended of two apartments in Palermo that the owners had put for temporary rental and Ive contacted them. The apartments are GREAT, similar a five stars rooms. They are called Alma Urbana, but I think they dont have their website yet....

For the traveler insurence, Ive done it directly with my travel agency in BA , I think it was TRAVEL ACE...

Hope this information helps!!

Count on me for anu furthe information,
Francesco
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:59 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.