Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WHAT TO PACK FOR MOROCCO, For tourists who plan to visit Morocco
greekcypriot
post Jun 2 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

I am travelling to the CANARY ISLANDS this summer, and want to sail to Morocco as well as it is in a short distance. I am searching the net to get as much information possible for this trip which will take place in August.
I found this article interesting and useful to TP members who are planning a trip to Morocco.
I want to share the information with you.

What to Pack For Morocco
Morocco is a very unique destination. Located in North Africa but still carrying the vibe of the Middle East. Morocco is full of culture, languages, sights, great food, amazing landscapes, and best of all, relatively safe. This makes it a popular destination for independent travelers and backpackers flock to the various areas around the country.
Morocco is not your every day tourist destination though. Being a conservative Islamic republic, you should be mindful of Moroccan’s customs and be respectful in your dress. This means that, despite the often warm temperatures, you should not plan on walking around in shorts and short-sleeved t-shirts. This goes for both men and women.
For men, jeans, khaki’s and cargo pants are acceptable and long sleeved t-shirts, thin jackets, or lightweight casual button-down shirts are recommended.
Women can generally follow the above recommendations but just be mindful to not wear tops that expose cleavage or have short sleeves. It may not be considered risque in western culture, but these items are generally unacceptable in Moroccan culture.
Recommended Packing List:
• 4-5 shirts (or blouses) - preferably long sleeved
• 1 jacket or sweater
• 2 pairs of comfortable pants
• swim suit - if you’re visiting the beach
• hat - especially if you’re visiting the desert
• enough socks and underwear
• comfortable sneakers or hiking shoes
• toiletries - don’t go overboard, but shopping for your typical toiletries in Morocco might be difficult
• digital camera - smaller is better
Morocco isn’t particularly dangerous, but places like Tangiers do suffer from slightly more than normal amounts of petty theft. If you are spending time in any medina areas and want to take photographs, a small camera is a better idea. Remember, this is where Moroccan’s live and work and aren’t necessarily tourist areas, despite the popularity of them.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
My latest trip to 2 Greek Islands and Turkey with much information on budget
hotels, cars, best restaurants, and with many photos!

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 2 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Thanks! That looks useful, I moved it to the Morocco forum so that more people could find it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 3 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

I would say aswell it depends where you're going in Morocco. Places like Marrakech then you'd be aswell to cover up because they take it quite seriously there. However, places on the coast that get more tourists are more used to people wearing saying shorts and short sleeved tops, so as you said, I would pack a bit of both - bearing in mind aswell that Morocco in August is gonna be sweltering!

Enjoy though, it will be lovely smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jun 5 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks Louise for having it moved.
It was my mistake.

If anyone knows if there is a way from Fuerte Ventura Island to sail to Marrakech let me know! It is an opportunity to spend a whole day there.

It is really hot there I know, but they don't have any humidity so you can walk in the streets in the afternoon without getting sweat.
And I know from another trip to Egypt and Alexandria that they avoid drinking cold drinks (refreshments). Instead they have a cup of hot tea.
This sounds odd but it is true. You don't get thirsty even if it is so hot!

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 6 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #5

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

True.... I have heard that hot drinks cool you down, because your body has to cool the liquid to a temperature that it can use it at... it still seems strange though. And if all else fails there is always ice cream smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jun 6 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

And if all else fails there is always ice cream

Yes, sianeth, very clever and true also.
But just imagine instead of an icecream which cools us up instantly, to have a glass of mango or kwava juice...and eat danes!
(Once in our hotel's garden in Sharlk el Sheikh danes were so ripe that theykept falling off the trees and I loved picking them up.
-Danes outside were so cheap - but these were so delicious.

Morocco is such a unique place, blend of the African Berber, Arab and Mediterranean, I bought a lovely handmade carpet there last time I was there.

The idea of buying a small carpet is great.
How do we carry even a small carpet if we have to fly, even if we have the lightest suitcase in the world.
Surely I will have to pay very much when returning to Europe!

I wonder what esle could one buy from there that really is worth carrying!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
allysson
post Apr 13 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 2808763
Nominate me as a Local Expert

"How do we carry even a small carpet if we have to fly, even if we have the lightest suitcase in the world."
A friend brought one back as carry on - they had it folded very small and wrapped.

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jun 6 2009, 09:06 AM) *

And if all else fails there is always ice cream

Yes, sianeth, very clever and true also.
But just imagine instead of an icecream which cools us up instantly, to have a glass of mango or kwava juice...and eat danes!
(Once in our hotel's garden in Sharlk el Sheikh danes were so ripe that theykept falling off the trees and I loved picking them up.
-Danes outside were so cheap - but these were so delicious.

Morocco is such a unique place, blend of the African Berber, Arab and Mediterranean, I bought a lovely handmade carpet there last time I was there.

The idea of buying a small carpet is great.
How do we carry even a small carpet if we have to fly, even if we have the lightest suitcase in the world.
Surely I will have to pay very much when returning to Europe!

I wonder what esle could one buy from there that really is worth carrying!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.