Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Malaria pills in Colombia???
katertot1978
post May 30 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 271232

Hello!

I am going to Colombia in three weeks. I am wondering what other travellers' opinions are about taking the malaria pills. (I tend to attract a lot of mosquitos, even when using good repellant.)

Also, I'm assuming that the pills are available in Colombian pharmacies for much less than in the States. Is this the case, how much are the pills, and what are they called?

I appreciate any suggestions, opinions, and information.

Thanks,
Katy
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 1 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Unless you are going to the Colombian Amazon or hiking the coastal Caribbean forests, you won't need malaria pills. Even in the jungle the use of malaria pills is debatable.
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/colombia.aspx
The CDC is always overcautious! If you took all their advice you would probably never leave your home. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

I've lived in Latin America for over 30 years and never taken a malaria pill. Nevertheless, the final decision is your call. It's whatever you are comfortable with. If your worry about malaria is going to ruin your visit, then go ahead and take your medicine.

Is it cheaper in Colombia? You bet! Generally most drugs in South America are made locally by the same companies (or under license) as we see here in North America.
http://www.drugs.com/malarone.html
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/mefloquine.html - this is generic, so it shouldn't cost too much.
http://www.drugs.com/cons/primaquine.html

Although these precise named drugs may not be available in Colombia, there will be alternatives. Trust the pharmacist.

Keep in mind you have to take these pills two or three days before entering a malarial zone.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 1 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I think the general consensus about malaria pills is: "if you're not going into the jungle you don't need them".

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong, because I don't have much of an idea about that.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mcguinnessdave
post Jun 2 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 265639

Hi Katy,

Yes, previous posters are right that generally you don't need malaria pills for Colombia, unless you are going out into the jungle. This means both the Colombian Amazon, accessible from Leticia (you fly here from Bogota) or the Lost city trek (or something similar). Both have very high densities of mosquitos and long sleeves, long trousers and a mozzy repellent with a high DEET content would also be strongly advised.

Regarding the price, I'm pretty sure that for Larium, which is what you should be taking if you do go to thse areas then there will be no price difference (or a very small one). They should however be realitively easily available in any major city.

Generally speaking if you are paying much less than you do in the US then you are not getting real Larium, and that is a real risk.

Hope this helps,
Dave

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katertot1978
post Jun 6 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 271232

Thank you very much for an informative and honest reply!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:11 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Colombia

Armenia Hotels
Barranquilla Hotels
Boca Grande Hotels
Bogota Hotels
Bosa Hotels
Boyaca Hotels
Bucaramanga Hotels
Buenaventura Hotels
Cali Hotels
Capurgana Hotels
Cartagena Hotels
Chia Hotels
Cota Hotels
Covenas Hotels
Cucuta Hotels
Girardot Hotels
Guatavita Hotels
Ibague Hotels
Islas de Rosario Hotels
Leticia Hotels
Manizales Hotels
Medellin Hotels
Melgar Hotels
Mompos Hotels
Monteria Hotels
Nuqui Hotels
Paipa Hotels
Pereira Hotels
Popayan Hotels
Rionegro Hotels
San Agustin Hotels
Santa Fe de Antioquia Hotels
Santa Marta Hotels
Silvia Hotels
Sogamoso Hotels
Taganga Hotels
Tobia Hotels
Tunja Hotels
Villa de Leyva Hotels
Villavicencio Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.