Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Petersburg, tips, hotels, guides
rudyflaviis
post Feb 14 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 751751

[quote name='littlekate' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:30 AM' post='94386']
Russia, St. Petersburg starter kit

Hi, very nice information about SP.
I'll visit SP from 30th March to 3 April. I've got a lot of doubts related with the weather. I don't know if it's worth visiting Peterhof without fountains working, I don't know if in this time it is advisable to plan walking tours. Could you help me? Also, regardind ballet shows, woul you advise to buy tickets on-line from balletandopera.com? Do you know if I can thrust them? Also I would like to have dinner in a restaurant with russian folk show. Are there any you recommend?
Many thanks if you can answer some of theses questions.

Rudy
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Feb 15 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #22

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 225327

Dear Rudy,
Of course, there are some weather disadvantages in the season you are choosing. The temperature will be something from -5C to +10C. This year is very snowy, this means very wet and icy spring. So all this huge amount of snow will be melting in the day time and turning into ice after the sun set. This means ice and water in the pavements, fresh and promising spring air, and you need some good boots. Some electrical devise to dry your footwear also will be of use. The parks will not be beautiful all covered with snow (or very wet), trees naked, marble statues boxed. But the royal palaces will be OK, and no tourists!
April 3 April 4 night will be the Easter night with overnight church service a big public event you need to see.
As for the tickets, you can buy them from Mariinsky theater itself http://www.mariinsky.ru/en
As for the restaurant with Russian folk show, I promise to take some investigation and let you know the results.
Katherine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rudyflaviis
post Feb 15 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 751751

Thank you for your advise. It's a pity we have to leave 3 April evening, we are going to loose Easter...
Considering that during our stay the weather will be very cold, what do you advise us to do in 3 days?
We are 6 portuguese couples.

Rudy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Feb 16 2010, 06:16 AM
Post #24

Nomad

Rudy,
I found some restaurants for you.
1. "Kalinka-Malinka", Italianskaya street, 5 (Between Russian museum and Nevsky prospect) very convenient location, just in the midst of tourists attractions. They have Russian folk shows on special orders (about 40 Euro/hour).
2. "Na zdorovije" Bolshoy prospect P.S. 13. The location is not so good needs some special efforts to get there from the area, where the tourist attractions are. They have regular Russian folk shows on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. On other days they have gypsy shows, which were very popular here before revolution, and now must remind of comfort and prosperity of the old times.
3. "Russkaya Rumochnaya No.1" Konnogvardeysky bulvar 4 very convenient location next to the St.Isaak's Cathedral. They have regular gypsy shows on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and they reproduce general atmosphere of some Russian restaurant in the end of the 19 century.
All of them have no websites in English, but I telephoned them to confirm the information I got in the reference book and Russian Inernet.

The weather will not be so cold. You just need some warm sintepon (or leather) jackets and woolen sweaters, and good boots something you normally wear in winter, or when skiing in the mountains. This will make you equipped well enough for walking around.
By the way, I was in Nevsky yesterday it was perfectly brushed up - means, no water and ice in spring. I advise to walk around in the center. By the way, have you got any guide?
Katherine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Mar 8 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #25

Nomad

You are welcome. I'm not a traveller at all, I'm just a local liver and the only way I can help you is telling about "how things are in my native city".
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Apr 10 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #26

Nomad

A must-see, of course, but not because of the Hermitage. I do not think Louver is any worse, and the Hermitage offers the arts quite similar to what you can find in Louver and other European museums. To art lovers I'd rather advise Russian museum a museum of Russian arts. In the exposition of 19th and 20th centuries you will find excellent, unique art you would not find anywhere else (Moscow excluding).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Jun 27 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #27

Nomad

More good news: yesterday I noticed instructions in English on Sennaya Ploshad - an important transfer ststion in the center, which also can be useful to a foreign tourist. They also install instructions in the newly launched stations which are usually far away from the touritic routs.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jun 28 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #28

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

Hi Kate,
Good news indeed.... flowers.png by the time I visit you, I am sure everything will be in English, and probably I won't need to let you know so that you can pick me up from the airport!
I will find the way by myself since there will be English signs, and surprise you! blow.gif hug.gif

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Jun 28 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #29

Nomad

flowers.png - That's me welcoming you in LED airport under the English sign!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeroenandlinda
post Sep 19 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #30

Drifter

Member No.: 844971

Great post LittleKate

We just arrived in St Petersburg for a couple of days before starting the trans Siberian in Moscow, tomorrow we'll start exploring the city. Your post is most helpful on giving us an idea about the city. Hope to post some blog posts shortly (if Internet in Russia permits).

Cheers

Jeroen
http://www.travelpod.com/members/jeroenandlinda
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 20 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #31

Rolling Stone

I found snacks in coffee shops in St. Petersburg quite expensive for the average local.

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Oct 21 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2338613

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Oct 20 2011, 01:01 PM) *

I found snacks in coffee shops in St. Petersburg quite expensive for the average local.

Did you find them more expensive, then in European big cities?
I know quite a lot of places with good coffee for 5 dollars... It is OK, if you don't go there evety day )
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 21 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #33

Rolling Stone

Probably it was because I expected a Russian city much cheaper since most people receive very low salaries and cannot afford to go to these places very often. It was not that expensive for me, but I always consider and think of the locals how they cope.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Oct 24 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Oct 21 2011, 12:18 PM) *

Probably it was because I expected a Russian city much cheaper since most people receive very low salaries and cannot afford to go to these places very often. It was not that expensive for me, but I always consider and think of the locals how they cope.

OK smile.gif But the locals in SPb and Moscow have rather good salaries )
The clubs, cafees and restaurants are overcrowded every weekend and we have traffic jams at nights because Moscow and Saint-Petersburg never sleep ))
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 24 2011, 04:30 AM
Post #35

Rolling Stone

It is probably because you belong to the upper class!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Oct 24 2011, 07:25 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Oct 24 2011, 04:30 AM) *

Noooo!!! I am just middle )
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 24 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #37

Rolling Stone

I have one question. Why is it when I want to get to your profile I get nothing? (6111978) Is this a phone number?
Just a question!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Oct 25 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(6111978 @ Oct 24 2011, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Oct 24 2011, 04:30 AM) *

Noooo!!! I am just middle )

No, it's not a phone number. It's strange... I thought, I wrote a name there... And what info do you want to find?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 25 2011, 06:37 AM
Post #39

Rolling Stone

I just wanted to check your profile.
The purpose and aim of TravelPod is to have members who write and post photos. Why don't you become a real member and start writing about your beautiful country?
If you check my profile you will find the blog about St. Petersburg. I have some beautiful entries and photos there.

So, I look forward to seeing your entries on your blog.
Why don't you start blogging and write about St. Petersburg. You know, it is no need to be travelling to write about a destination you know well.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Oct 26 2011, 05:02 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Oct 25 2011, 06:37 AM) *

I just wanted to check your profile.
The purpose and aim of TravelPod is to have members who write and post photos. Why don't you become a real member and start writing about your beautiful country?
If you check my profile you will find the blog about St. Petersburg. I have some beautiful entries and photos there.

So, I look forward to seeing your entries on your blog.
Why don't you start blogging and write about St. Petersburg. You know, it is no need to be travelling to write about a destination you know well.

Yes, I will!!!
Just need a little more free time )

P.S. And I can change this stupid figures to my name... it's a pitty
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.