Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iguazu Falls to Lima, Costs of travel
kimbell
post May 20 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 278380
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Gday, off to SA in 14 sleeps. Having a bit (read lot ) of trouble working out how to get from Iguazu Falls to Lima reasonably cheaply. Flying is cool but a few buses would be fun as well. Would I have to do Iguazu return to Buenos Aires then fly from there? Would like to stop places, not direct to Lima. Got about 10 days up my sleeve for that part of trip. Any experts out there who could help. Also while everybody is helping me can I buy a Lanpass when I arrive in SA and is it more expensive or cheaper. Thanks heaps will buy you a pisco sour if you respond Kim
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post May 20 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Surprisingly TACA Peru has a US$ 374 fare from Asuncion to Lima, via (of all places) Montevideo.
http://www.taca.com

Bus from Ciudad del Este to Asuncion is the easy part, a 200 mile run in less than four hours.

If you have 10 days to get to Lima, you may want to attempt a crossing of the Chaco.

Bus to Asuncion, then another bus from Asuncion to Resistencia in Argentina, then over the bridge to Corrientes across the Paraguay River.

Then a long dusty bus ride across the Chaco to Salta. Daily at 18:00 x 12 to 13 hours. Semi-sleeper.

Here you have an option to carry on up through Bolivia, or cross the Andes to Antofagasta in Chile.

Twice weekly buses to Antofagasta from Salta (via San Pedro de Atacama) departing Tuesdays and Fridays at 07:00 hours x 14 hours.

From Antofagasta there are direct luxury sleeper bus services to Arequipa and Lima.

If you go the Bolivia route, you take the Argentine bus to La Quiaca (Departing at: 5:30 - 10:30 - 15:30 - 22:00 hours), then cross the border on foot to Villazon and pick up a Bolivian bus to Potosi (daily x 12 hours) where you would change buses for La Paz.

If you really want a thrill, take the railway from Villazon to Oruro, Runs four times weekly on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (subject to change). Departs Villazon 3:30 pm. http://www.boliviahostels.com/howtoget/tren.php

Regular daily buses from Oruro to La Paz,

From La Paz, you can continue to Cuzco via Lake Titicaca. I presume Cuzco and Machu Picchu is in your itinerary.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kimbell
post May 20 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(kimbell @ May 20 2009, 12:33 AM) *

Gday, off to SA in 14 sleeps. Having a bit (read lot ) of trouble working out how to get from Iguazu Falls to Lima reasonably cheaply. Flying is cool but a few buses would be fun as well. Would I have to do Iguazu return to Buenos Aires then fly from there? Would like to stop places, not direct to Lima. Got about 10 days up my sleeve for that part of trip. Any experts out there who could help. Also while everybody is helping me can I buy a Lanpass when I arrive in SA and is it more expensive or cheaper. Thanks heaps will buy you a pisco sour if you respond Kim

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kimbell
post May 20 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #4

Gday thanks very much for your reply, will use some of that info. You are a veritable font of info, do you live there or just a traveller? Did you know about LAN airpass, as in cheaper, more expensive if I buy in SA. Thanks again Kim
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:51 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.