Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hostel newbie - not Thailand newbie
debbie_los
post Dec 12 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2444333
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Sawatdii ka / hi
I am travelling to Thailand for two months. This will be my 9th trip (very auspicious). My previous 8 trips have all been with friends and I have mostly stayed in 3 to 4 star hotels.
So I am familiar with the culture and the people and the food. I know a small amount (nit noi) of the language, and will attend language school for the first week or so when I arrive in Bangkok.
I will be travelling around Thailand by myself for around six weeks. i am female - middle 50s intend to stay in hostels / similar. Yes I hope to go both north and south.
My question is, do hostels provide 'lockable' storage? This is so that I know that if I go sightseeing etc, I can safely leave things like my iPad behind at the hostel while I am out all day.
Khop khun ka / thank you in advance.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Dec 15 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Why don't you seek to find hostels through TripAdvisor and when you do e mail them and ask?

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koonel
post Dec 17 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 1111301

QUOTE(debbie_los @ Dec 12 2011, 10:36 PM) *

Sawatdii ka / hi
I am travelling to Thailand for two months. This will be my 9th trip (very auspicious). My previous 8 trips have all been with friends and I have mostly stayed in 3 to 4 star hotels.
So I am familiar with the culture and the people and the food. I know a small amount (nit noi) of the language, and will attend language school for the first week or so when I arrive in Bangkok.
I will be travelling around Thailand by myself for around six weeks. i am female - middle 50s intend to stay in hostels / similar. Yes I hope to go both north and south.
My question is, do hostels provide 'lockable' storage? This is so that I know that if I go sightseeing etc, I can safely leave things like my iPad behind at the hostel while I am out all day.

Once you leave Bangkok you have fewer choices for hostels. But there are many cheap "no star" hotels and guest houses about the same price. Most of these hotels and guest houses will have safety boxes at the front desk or safes in the hotel room. Being a retired male, traveling alone, I don't use hostels in Thailand because there are too many kids staying there. When I see single men over 40 in dorms and hostels sharing showers and toilets with kids in Thailand I get a real creepy feeling about them! With hostels and cheap hotels around the same price - why would an older guy want a dorm with kids anyway?

My personal opinion is that there is more theft from hotel rooms by fellow tourists or guests you allow in the room than hotel staff! Out of sight is out of mind! I do travel with a cheap netbook because it fits in many safety boxes when a regular size laptop will not. I leave my expensive computers at home! When someone wants to come into my hotel room that I do not know well - I cover the computer up with a towel, sheet, shirt, etc. If I do use the safety box at the front desk the desk clerk only can see a "bag" going in the box. (Don't leave the safety box key out in plain sight either!) I password protect my computer. Passwords to email accounts with sensitive information or money/bank related links are not saved into memory. This is in case someone does run off with my computer. If they want the data in that thing I am not going to make it easier for the thief to have access!

When I leave the hotel I never leave the computer out in the open. Most of the time I just lock the netbook up in my bag when I am out.

Out of sight out of mind!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Dec 17 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Koonel indeed you have given precious info here, thanks.
I went back to check on your pages, but I was disappointed because you have no info out there on your blog. Neither a photo, yet you are out travelling to so many beautiful places I am sure.
Why is this?
Is it because you don't easily have internet acess, or is it that you are always on the go and there is no time for posting.
Where exactly are you now and when are you planning to return home?

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koonel
post Dec 19 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 1111301

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Dec 18 2011, 12:52 AM) *

Where exactly are you now and when are you planning to return home?

Back home for the holidays now for a few more weeks. Live in Thailand around 6 months a year. Lived in Vietnam before and Italy a long time ago. When I was younger my job back then took me all over they world to many places.

Merry Christmas.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Dec 19 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Merry Christmas to you too.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Dec 23 2011, 03:58 AM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Member No.: 195337

If you look around when you arrive at a destination you should be able to shop around and get a decent room for 500 baht.

You say 2 months and you want to do language course, will you be staying for a month anywhere?

You can get great deals on month long stay at hotels or rent an apartment easily for less than 10,000 baht per month.

Perhaps if you could give us an idea of budget and where you intend to stay I can give more exact advice.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alffredangelo
post Dec 23 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 2389033

QUOTE(koonel @ Dec 17 2011, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(debbie_los @ Dec 12 2011, 10:36 PM) *

Sawatdii ka / hi

Once you leave Bangkok you have fewer choices for hostels. But there are many cheap "no star" hotels and guest houses about the same price. Most of these hotels and guest houses will have safety boxes at the front desk or safes in the hotel room. Being a retired male, traveling alone, I don't use hostels in Thailand because there are too many kids staying there. When I see single men over 40 in dorms and hostels sharing showers and toilets with kids in Thailand I get a real creepy feeling about them! With hostels and cheap hotels around the same price - why would an older guy want a dorm with kids anyway?

My personal opinion is that there is more theft from hotel rooms by fellow tourists or guests you allow in the room than hotel staff! Out of sight is out of mind! I do travel with a cheap netbook because it fits in many safety boxes when a regular size laptop will not. I leave my expensive computers at home! When someone wants to come into my hotel room that I do not know well - I cover the computer up with a towel, sheet, shirt, etc. If I do use the safety box at the front desk the desk clerk only can see a "bag" going in the box. (Don't leave the safety box key out in plain sight either!) I password protect my computer. Passwords to email accounts with sensitive information or money/bank related links are not saved into memory. This is in case someone does run off with my computer. If they want the data in that thing I am not going to make it easier for the thief to have access!

When I leave the hotel I never leave the computer out in the open. Most of the time I just lock the netbook up in my bag when I am out.

Out of sight out of mind!

A great piece of info my friend
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:39 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.