Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beyond Angkor Wat
wakingdream
post May 12 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

It seems from the forums there are plenty of people going this way. Cambodia is much more than the temples, not to say they aren't magnificent! There is plenty to do once you've seen Angkor Wat. It is certainly my favorite SEA country aside from Burma.

I think it's a bit of a shame that many people not only view Angkor as their highlight but as their main activity, and many people leave after they've toured the area.Don't overlook all the other, lesser known attractions or you'll really miss out in my opinion.

Here are a few ideas for anyone planning on visiting Cambodia;

Both the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Museum seem to come in at a close second to those visiting Angkor and looking for more to do. Take a look. History, albeit pretty dark, abounds in both places.

Hit the south and take in some beautiful forests and beaches. Visit Bokor National Park, a relic from the colonial period. here there is much peace away from the busy city areas.

See the Irrawaddy dolphins from Kratie. This city exudes colonial grace and is laid back and a nice place to hang out for a bit, walk by the river and try some great food.

See beautiful tigers, elephants, crocodiles and black bears in Virachay National Park

Check out Tonlé Sap Lake and the floating Vietnamese village of Kompong Luong.

Head to remote Ratanakiri for some great trekking among waterfalls and lush jungle environments and meet fascinating people throughout the secluded minority villages.

Happy Trails!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jonsalt
post Jun 11 2009, 05:56 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 274571

Thanks for that list, i will definately make sure that i go to some of them. Although i will also be doing the traditional Ankor Wat - I have been told, the same as you that Cambodia is Ankor Wat. although doing research on teh country it is so much more than that.

Cheers Wakingdream
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 11 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Cool Jon. I'm glad you're going to check out more than Angkor. The ruins are incredible, they really are. And the history...wow! I must admit it took me a few trips to venture out beyond the main attractions but it was so rewarding. I think when people take a tour of SEA, it's hard to not just hit the highlights b/c there is so much to see and do. I can understand that for sure. But, getting off the path well traveled always has its advantages!

When are you heading over again?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hanson
post Dec 22 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 488381

Yes, you are right. Cambodia has more than only Angkor Wat and its temples. Not only sightseeing, you can join many activities and festival of the locals. Both the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Museum is worthy for an excursion from Pnhom Penh.

--------------------
Travel's blog | Vietnam tourism info
Enjoy every step you go (-_-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 28 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(hanson @ Dec 22 2009, 03:57 AM) *

Yes, you are right. Cambodia has more than only Angkor Wat and its temples. Not only sightseeing, you can join many activities and festival of the locals. Both the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Museum is worthy for an excursion from Pnhom Penh.

Those are good choices for sure. They are still a litte more on the beaten path, but for good reason.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Dec 30 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #6

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

Can I add Koh Kong, Kampot & Kep? And the amazing orphanage I work at outside the Reap. Landmine Museum here in SR, as well as stilt villages, beautiful countryside and the far flung temples. Angkor Wat covers a huuuuge area much like Bagan. It reaches upto the border with Laos in terms of architecture and Khmer design (Angkor Era). Of course there's also Preah Vihear on the Thai border as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pradbitt
post Aug 14 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 622601

For me the highlight was Sihanoukville.
Kampot is very small and very boring, really not worth the effort.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Sep 1 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #8

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(pradbitt @ Aug 14 2010, 07:24 PM) *

For me the highlight was Sihanoukville.
Kampot is very small and very boring, really not worth the effort.

True, there isn't heaps to do, but if you drive out into the countryside, visit a farm for example, hit the coastline, hire a boat, do some fishing etc, it's a cool place to relax away from S'ville for a few days. Depends what you're after. If you loved S'ville then, no Kampot area probably isn't best for you. Same works vica versa as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 12:56 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.