Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myanmar-Burma
bindannmalweg
post May 10 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 276540
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi folks!
Who's able to inform me about former Burma?
What has been happening since May 08 - and do travellers go there at all now?

V
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 11 2009, 06:35 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I can assure you that travelers still go into Burma. The number has definitely declined though.

Check out the Canadian Travel Report

And also the U.S. Travel Report

Keep in mind that these warnings are just that and can sound a little more alarming then the situation really is but it's wise to read them and take what you will from them. I'd say there are certainly areas you shouldn't/can't go to and you will find more limited freedom compared to, say traveling in Thailand but Burma is well-worth a look around. I'd say it still offers an excellent cultural experience and is, in my opinion, the most interesting-and beautiful- SEA country to boot.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 19 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #3

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(wakingdream @ May 11 2009, 06:35 AM) *

I can assure you that travelers still go into Burma. The number has definitely declined though.

Check out the Canadian Travel Report

And also the U.S. Travel Report

Keep in mind that these warnings are just that and can sound a little more alarming then the situation really is but it's wise to read them and take what you will from them. I'd say there are certainly areas you shouldn't/can't go to and you will find more limited freedom compared to, say traveling in Thailand but Burma is well-worth a look around. I'd say it still offers an excellent cultural experience and is, in my opinion, the most interesting-and beautiful- SEA country to boot.

What's going on in Myanmar? Lots!!!

It is a huge and fascinating country.

Do travellers go there - yes.

There are warnings - yes, but we are warned to be careful crossing the road - we still do it (but hopefully carefully).

There is a long running civil war with many ethnic minority people being killed - but those areas are off limits to you. The areas you can visit, I think you are very safe. And the people are very nice. And the culture and history is amazing.

The main Burman opposition group have called for a boycott of tourism - but that hasn't seemed to help anyone and further distances the regime from the outside world and seems to even help in the increasing Chinese influence in the country. Many Burmese do not agree with the tourism boycott and want foreigners to visit, spend money, make friends and find out for themselves about Myanmar. So you should research that a little and think about it.

There is so much to say about Myanmar - but mainly it is a fascinating destination that deserves consideration

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Jun 28 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273696

I would LOVE to backpack through Myanmar. I think that would be an amazing way to see not only this beautiful country, but a lot of Asia.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 01:22 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Myanmar

Bagan Hotels
Bago Hotels
Bhamo Hotels
Chaungtha Hotels
Heho Hotels
Hsipaw Hotels
Inle Lake Hotels
Kalaw Hotels
Kalaymyo Hotels
Kengtung Hotels
Kyaikto Hotels
Kyaing Tong Hotels
Lashio Hotels
Magwe Hotels
Mandalay Hotels
Mawlamyine Hotels
Maymyo Hotels
Monywa Hotels
Mrauk U Hotels
Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Hotels
Myitkyina Hotels
Naypyidaw Hotels
Ngapali Hotels
Ngwe Saung Hotels
Nyaung Shwe Hotels
Nyaungshwe Hotels
Nyaungu Hotels
Pa-an Hotels
Pathein Hotels
Pindaya Hotels
Putao Hotels
Pyay Hotels
Sagaing Hotels
Sittwe Hotels
Taungoo Hotels
Thahtay Kyun Island Hotels
Yangon (Rangoon) Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.