Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best skiing/riding in North America?
lucky
post Nov 5 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #1

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The winter travel season is arriving in North America! Which brings me to this question...

What are the best ski hills in Canada?

My bid...
East -> Mont Tremblant, Quebec
West -> Whistler, BC

What are the best ski hills in the USA?

My bid...
East -> Jay Peak(?)
West -> Snowmass, Aspen, CO

Not having been to all of the hills in North America, I have to admit that these might not be the best.

What do you think?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucky
post Nov 6 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #2

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 5 2004, 08:39 PM)
Hey all,

Here's what I think:

Mt. Tremblant in Ste-Jovite, QC is definitely one of the finest, however, Mont Ste-Anne near Quebec city is a very close second! If it's winter carnival time, go to Mt Ste-Anne and visit the city.

In western Canada, I'd have to say Whistler/Blackcomb also, but the Banff region in Alberta has some excellent resorts: Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Marmot Basin! If you like being surrounded by wilderness while bathing in a hot spring spa, go to Banff.

USA: I haven't been to many US ski resorts but the Aspen region is always mentioned in conversations. In the east, I'd say Jay Peak or Smuggler's Notch since I've been to both and had an amazing time. There are plenty of great places to go in north-eastern USA.

Also, many of them now take CDA currency at par!

cool.gif

Smacker

I've heard of St-Anne... I'll have to make a point to get myself up there this winter.

Thanks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jlovely
post Dec 27 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

I'd say for the western US, I loved Beaver Creek, CO. For the eastern US? Probably Stowe in VT. We go to both places regularly and love it every time!! Not only is the skiing/boarding great but so are both towns at night!
+Quote Post
Pam
post Apr 2 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

The best skiing out West varies from year to year depending on the weather pattern. This year in Sun Valley, Idaho, has been epic with well over 20 outstanding powder days. More typically we have lots of sunny groomers...with great pitch, few lift lines and lots of high speed quads. As is the case at most ski resorts, avoid the holidays. As an avid watcher of winter weather in the Western US, I find that typically the best and most consistent powder lands in the Wasatch Range just east of Salt Lake City, Utah, which has numerous resorts but I like Snowbird, Snow Basin and even Park City has some appeal. Resorts in Wyoming and Montana...Jackson Hole and Big Sky...can be very cold at times but also get good powder dumps at times. Tahoe...Heavenly, Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows being the Big Three over there...get big, wet storms and large crowds on the weekends especially. I would not be the one to speak to Colorado but I am told that Steamboat is a good alternative to Aspen and Vail, which are full of Texans and NYers. As far as the East goes, save yourself some time and money and skip it.
+Quote Post
oldhongerlady
post Sep 16 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1892

my personal favorite in BC would have to be Big White.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 2 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Ooohhh, when I think back to the days! I was a snowboard instructor for 4 years in Western Canada in my early 20's, here and there, Sunshine and Jaser mostly, but we got passes so we could ride almost anywhere out there. A dream. My personal favourite is still Marmot Basin in Jasper (National Park),Alberta with almost 3000 vertical feet and over 1600 acres. It's got terrain for everyone, no matter what skill level you are. And, Jasper is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful places in Canada. It's very laid-back and not overly crowded, which I like alot. If you like to go insane on the hill, it's a good place to be, and if not, it's still awesome. In B.C. Whistler/Blackcomb beats 'em all for size and powder, but you can also get some great skiiing or riding in Fernie, just depends when you're there. It's abit more challenging b/c of all the traverses. You've got to explore every bowl as much as you can so you don't end up having to go back, b/c it's SO much work!! For the east coast, definitely Mount Saint Anne. I've done some dogsledding out there too, which is loads of fun. Tremblant is great too!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
veraeland
post Dec 9 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

Member No.: 261142

Wow, you guys have already listed a lot good ski destionations in North America. Let me supplement the list with several more.
Panorama, Red Mountain, Silver Star, and Whistler.
http://www.tours4fun.com/canada-multi-cities-tour-packages/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
moinmotion
post Dec 15 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Wayfarer

Member No.: 44298

My votes for Western Canada are:
- Lake Louise for variety of terrain
- Fernie for the copious amounts of powder they seem to get every year

Mind you, I'm a skiier, not a boarder. dance3.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Dec 16 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #9

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

I am not a great skiier, but...

I like both Beaver Creek and Vail, CO.

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:11 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.