Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How close is Picton train station from Interisland Ferry?, Travel
flyingbat
post Oct 17 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 570421
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I will be traveling to NZ next January and intend to take the Interisland ferry from Picton to Wellington. Two years ago, I took the Intercity bus from Kaikoura to Picton. The bus dropped us off directly outside the ferry terminal, which was great. But I'm thinking of taking the train, this time, from Kaikoura to Picton. Is it far to walk from the train station in Picton to the ferry terminal, with a heavy rucksack?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Oct 20 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(flyingbat @ Oct 17 2011, 06:49 AM) *

I will be traveling to NZ next January and intend to take the Interisland ferry from Picton to Wellington. Two years ago, I took the Intercity bus from Kaikoura to Picton. The bus dropped us off directly outside the ferry terminal, which was great. But I'm thinking of taking the train, this time, from Kaikoura to Picton. Is it far to walk from the train station in Picton to the ferry terminal, with a heavy rucksack?

The train come in right beside the ferry terminal.....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
flyingbat
post Oct 21 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

QUOTE(nztravelguide @ Oct 20 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Thank you very much for this information. I have traveled from Kaikoura to Picton before, with Intercity buses but part of that road is very windy, with hairpin bends on it and I'm not the best of travelers on a bus. I get motion sickness quite easily, so therefore that's why I'm thinking of taking the train, even though it's more expensive. I'll be buying a Flexipass for Intercity buses but there are one or two trains that I want to take also. Can I ask another question please? On my way from Wellington to Auckland, I intend to take the train too but need a good hostel that I can stay in, in Auckland. Is there any that you could recommend? The train arrives into Auckland at about 7.20pm, so would like not to have to travel too far to get to the hostel, on my own, at that time of the evening. The next morning I'll be getting the bus to Paihia, so I'll only need one night.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sam.bewitching
post Oct 21 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 29915

Yeah the train station in Picton is just across the road - I think they even have a painted line on the road for you to follow to it just incase you miss it! hahaha

Hostel wise there aren't that many good options in Auckland - if you want something close to the Britomart station where the train pulls in try the Nomads on Fort Street, not Fat Camel but the other one, if you want something closer to where your bus leaves in the morning - which I'm guessing is at Sky City, thats where it used to be anyway. Then I'd stay at Base.

Either way there will be a walk or a taxi ride at some point.

I hope this helps
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
flyingbat
post Oct 23 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

QUOTE(flyingbat @ Oct 21 2011, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(nztravelguide @ Oct 20 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Thank you very much for this information. I have traveled from Kaikoura to Picton before, with Intercity buses but part of that road is very windy, with hairpin bends on it and I'm not the best of travelers on a bus. I get motion sickness quite easily, so therefore that's why I'm thinking of taking the train, even though it's more expensive. I'll be buying a Flexipass for Intercity buses but there are one or two trains that I want to take also. Can I ask another question please? On my way from Wellington to Auckland, I intend to take the train too but need a good hostel that I can stay in, in Auckland. Is there any that you could recommend? The train arrives into Auckland at about 7.20pm, so would like not to have to travel too far to get to the hostel, on my own, at that time of the evening. The next morning I'll be getting the bus to Paihia, so I'll only need one night.

Thank you very much for your help and tips. I appreciate it. I'll look them up on Google and check them out. The last time I stayed in a hostel in Auckland, it wasn't very nice, so I thought I'd ask someone who knows Auckland better than me.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:06 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.