Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> But if Americans cross by BUS into Chile,do they still have to pay the 130usd entry?, How long does the entry fee last?Is it every time you cross to Chile?
englishtou
post Apr 28 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 22051
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thanks,Frank
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 28 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Frank, I think you are confused with the way the forum works. Can you put your question in the body of the post, not in the heading? It's hard for people to read.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 28 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

From: In the process of moving, but Currently in...Huntsville, AL
Member No.: 97423

Frank,
The Chilean visa is good for the life of your passport. You won't have to pay that fee again until you visit Chile again with a new passport. So my suggestion is to visit Chile on a brand-spanking new (or as close as possible) passport and then you've got 10 years of access with no more fees.

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Most current Travelogue - Click Here

My Travelogues - Click Here

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
englishtou
post Apr 28 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

QUOTE(big_red_truck @ Apr 28 2009, 04:03 PM) *

Frank,
The Chilean visa is good for the life of your passport. You won't have to pay that fee again until you visit Chile again with a new passport. So my suggestion is to visit Chile on a brand-spanking new (or as close as possible) passport and then you've got 10 years of access with no more fees.

crazy.gif Thanks a million....that`s a great kiss picture and Chuck has a great philosophy of life!All the best,Frank
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
englishtou
post Apr 28 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 28 2009, 12:11 PM) *

Frank, I think you are confused with the way the forum works. Can you put your question in the body of the post, not in the heading? It's hard for people to read.

crazy.gif Thanks Starla,I sure will!This forum`s great!All the best,Frank
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 28 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #6

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

You have got me there Frank. I have never heard of a US$ 130.00 entry fee between Argentina and Chile. Has anyone else heard of this? Are you sure that is not the bus fare?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Apr 28 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #7

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

I have only heard of it having to be paid at airports. Everything I have read points to a bus crossing not charging the fee.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Apr 28 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

The fee is only paid once. The receipt is stapled to your passport and you just show it when you cross on the bus.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 29 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #9

Pathfinder

QUOTE(englishtou @ Apr 28 2009, 05:45 PM) *

crazy.gif Thanks a million....that`s a great kiss picture and Chuck has a great philosophy of life!All the best,Frank

Thanks Frank, it's easy to get a great kiss picture when you've got an insanely beautiful wife to kiss!
QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 28 2009, 07:33 PM) *

You have got me there Frank. I have never heard of a US$ 130.00 entry fee between Argentina and Chile. Has anyone else heard of this? Are you sure that is not the bus fare?

QUOTE(jeremystravels @ Apr 28 2009, 07:41 PM) *

I have only heard of it having to be paid at airports. Everything I have read points to a bus crossing not charging the fee.

The fee is the "reciprocity" fee for Americans to enter Chile. (Used to be only $100USD) It is payable at the port of entry, no matter where that might be, when you get your visa paper for your passport. Here it is from the horse's mouth.

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Apr 29 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #10

Commuter

QUOTE(big_red_truck @ Apr 29 2009, 07:28 AM) *

The fee is the "reciprocity" fee for Americans to enter Chile. (Used to be only $100USD) It is payable at the port of entry, no matter where that might be, when you get your visa paper for your passport. Here it is from the horse's mouth.

I know that is the official statement but everything I have read on other sources, such as travellers experiences, suggests that fee is not assessed at the borders and only at the airports. It could very well be that some borders don't and others do. I am still planning on being charged even though i'll be crossing at a border. If I don't get charged, awesome, and if I do, well, then I was planning for it anyway.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Apr 29 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #11

Planet Pioneer

Regardless, definitely post pictures when you go!
Good luck and have fun.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 29 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #12

Pathfinder

Jeremy, I wish you luck that you won't have to pay...though if you don't have the receipt stapled into your passport, if you fly into our out of a Chilean airport in the future they might give you a hassle.

--------------------

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 29 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #13

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

So if you enter and exit Chile by surface, you may get away without this expense?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Apr 29 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #14

Planet Pioneer

I don't believe that's true, because when I was in Chile I went to Bolivia by bus. On my way back in, the immigration rep specifically looked for the receipt attached to my passport to ensure I had paid.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 29 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Pathfinder

QUOTE(semi-backpacker @ Apr 29 2009, 01:28 PM) *

I don't believe that's true, because when I was in Chile I went to Bolivia by bus. On my way back in, the immigration rep specifically looked for the receipt attached to my passport to ensure I had paid.

thumbsup.png I've only gone to Chile by plane...much better to hear it from someone who's gone by bus!

--------------------

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Apr 29 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Commuter

QUOTE(semi-backpacker @ Apr 29 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Well thats the first I've heard of that. I've just read conflicting information. Oh well, just planning for being charged and then dealing with it when I get there!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 30 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #17

Pathfinder

QUOTE(bsas4you @ Apr 30 2009, 09:53 AM) *

Yea, that fee is more of a myth than a fact. ive left and entered argentina a number of times since it was announced (by plane, bus and boat!) and have never paid anything. For once the argentine government's laziness actually helps us out!

Cheers!

We were talking about the Chilean government charging for entry.

Haven't been to Argentina yet...we'll see what happens when I do make it there though!

--------------------

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Apr 30 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #18

Planet Pioneer

QUOTE(bsas4you @ Apr 30 2009, 09:53 AM) *

Yea, that fee is more of a myth than a fact. ive left and entered argentina a number of times since it was announced (by plane, bus and boat!) and have never paid anything. For once the argentine government's laziness actually helps us out!

Cheers!

Are you a U.S. Citizen? Not all countries have to pay that fee.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
englishtou
post May 1 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #19

Wanderer

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 28 2009, 06:33 PM) *

Yep,it seems the Chilean entry fee some foreigners is only paid if you enter by air...thatīs what Lonely Planet said,but I have the 2005 edition,hahahhaa
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 12:00 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.