Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mexico's Swine Flu, Global Epidemic Fears Rise
visor2040
post May 31 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #61

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 265452

Conspiracy theories aside. I agree. The north is the bad place. But Mexico City now is rainy and that keeps our air clean biggrin.gif. Other places in the south and center are fine (and damn cheap).

That being said, Xcaret and places like that are bad. As a "gringo" they rip you off and as Mexican they rip you off and treat you like a second class citizen >.>
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 1 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #62

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Our family of ten are just back from Cancun in perfect health. Not even a case of "Montezuma's Revenge".

Yes indeed Cancun is a rip-off for gringos, but there again I have found this to be the case for all intensely travelled tourist spots the world over. A seasoned traveller will usually be able to avoid most tourist scams.

Example in Cancun. The ferry from the mainland to Isla de Mujeres from the Zona Hotelera is US$ 15.00 RT. The same ferry from Pto Juarez where the locals live is 70 pesos RT (under US$6.00).

They get away with it because even with the tourist "surcharge", it is still inexpensive by our standards.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 1 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #63

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Donyan, glad to hear you got over the flu, were you scared when you were sick?

Welcome back, Martin, glad you didn't get sick, but we all knew you'd be OK.

Funny story: I was coming back from Toronto this weekend in a car with some people I have never met (rideshare). We started talking about Mexico for some reason and one guy in the car goes:

"Mexico? Didn't they close the border or something?"

Me: *burst out laughing* "No! They can't close Mexico, what the???!"

Just the insane miscommunications that are happening around this little outbreak, are incredible.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 2 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #64

Rolling Stone

What the???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 2 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #65

Tripper

That's amazing. It sounds more like Melbourne, Florida than Melbourne, Australia. I thought the Aussies were much more world wise than United Statesians.

New forum. A name for citizens of the United States of America.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 2 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #66

Rolling Stone

I think this lady is an isolated incident...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post Jun 5 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #67

Drifter

Member No.: 265452

QUOTE(mysheri80 @ Jun 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Swine flu/scare is somewhat over now, folks. Well I would still take precautions like washing your hands, sanitizing and all that stuff. I would avoid Tijuana and Mexico City for sure. Still pretty unsafe.

Friend of mine is in Cancun as we speak and all is well. Don't be scurred. dance.gif

Mexico City is no more unsafe than LA or NYC ranting2.gif.

All you need is a little common sense and you should be fine unsure.gif . Tijuana is the same, all you need to do is know where, when and with whom you should hang out with.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joelmunoz1968
post Jun 20 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #68

Drifter

Member No.: 281562

QUOTE(sianeth @ Apr 29 2009, 07:30 AM) *

Update, US reports first Swine Flu death...

BBC News

And after all is said and done, once again Mexico is left decimated economically by the media. Turns out the swine flu is a weaker version of the common flu. Stories that scare the hell out of people sell a lot of papers and make a lot of people watch the over supply of crappy news shows. God forbid people do their own research and find out the facts behind things before they cancel travel plans and hide under their beds.

Media preys on ignorance and fear. Don't be prey! Ask questions, do your own research.

http://alternative-doctor.com/blog/swine-f...-truth-is-ugly/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Sep 20 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #69

Tripper

This repoert came out in April. The Swine Flu has gone around the world 90 times since then. I bet most people have entirely forgotten that it all started in Vera Cruz, Mexico from an American owned pig farm.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
carabean
post Sep 29 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 390561

QUOTE(mmbcross @ May 18 2009, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(visor2040 @ May 17 2009, 02:46 AM) *

Stay there and if you give them proof that you got Influenza A while in Cancun they will pay for THREE YEARS of vacations to Cancun for you and a companion.

Proof is some kind of medical certificate that you got the disease up to 14 days after your stay or something

Hooray! We are off to Cancun week after next (pretty much sans spring breakers by now) and will be hunting around to see if we can get the flu. Thee years of holidays in Cancun is just too hard to resist. Question - Do you always have to take the same companion (hope my wife doesn't read this!)?

I don't think people will have much luck getting the free vacations. I know that lots of people are talking about this. From what I have heard this strain in only moderately stronger than a typical seasonal flu bug. As always, the ones most at risk are the young, the elderly and those with immuno-deficiencies.

For example: Last year alone in Canada, over 4000 people died from a "normal" strain of the flu. I think the reason it is being called a "pandemic" is the ease at which it is spreading through the global community due to our interconnectivity. Washing hands and face masks are your best defense. I am traveling to Bali in a month and I am not too concerned with it.

I am heading to a cancun hotel in a few weeks...If I do catch it, then I will definitely be looking into this further!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 11:01 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.