Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mexico's Swine Flu, Global Epidemic Fears Rise
introducinlyric
post May 7 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #41

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

just read through entire thread...phew. my thoughts are that the news has sensationalized swine flu to the point where people are becoming paranoid (people are travelling to work in sydney wearing face masks..i mean come on there hasnt even been a confirmed case of swine flu in australia yet..at least to my knowledge). i think it will simply cause paranoia and hysteria
im already noticing how people react when someones sneezes "oh my you must have swine flu" or coughs "get away from me i dont wana catch swine flu" its really becoming a bit of a joke..and literally people are constantly making jokes about swine flu (which is in poor taste) but im hearing things like "oh you've been feeling really tired lately...you might wana call you doctor and see if you need to be quarantined"
its endless and quite simply becoming too much. washing you hands and keeping yourself clean is a part of good hygiene which people should already have theres no need to develop an OCD over this. im just a little over it (and not from lack of sympathy) i just think newspapers and media have taken it a bit too far and are unnecessarily scaring people. and its constant you cant seem to escape those two words "swine flu" arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! crazy.gif

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post May 7 2009, 02:18 AM
Post #42

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Actually the hysteria seems to have died down here of late. I haven't seen anything about it on the news for the last three days. Perhaps they've realised that two more people being diagnosed with it in a day isn't really newsworthy considering that people get normal flu all the time...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 7 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #43

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Re: Swineflu jokes.

Really Gerre??? I have never heard anyone joking about it here. Maybe it's because so many people are sick with it in Canada already...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 7 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #44

Rolling Stone

Oh yeahhhh I saw that picture of the kid...

It's cute, but, definitely in bad taste...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 7 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #45

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

There was someone off work here last week and I think he got a bit pissed off with everyone joking, asking if he had swine flu. I had asked him before he even got in the door!

It's all a load of sensationalised bollocks! I'm pretty sure I'll have a UK government leaflet through the post tonight telling me how to wash my hands.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post May 7 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #46

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 265452

Question for patient zero: What the hell were you doing with the pig?!

It's not bad taste. In Mexico we do it all the time. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 7 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #47

Rolling Stone

Really? I wonder what the families of the people who died say about that...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 7 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #48

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(2olives @ May 7 2009, 10:06 AM) *

I hear jokes about it constantly. I have even received these images in recent emails:

The caption to this one read something like "They finally discovered the origins of Swine Flu"
IPB Image

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/30/w...e_n_193624.html (don't go here if you are sensitive to curse words!)

i havent seen this picture b4 but its just...wrong

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 7 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #49

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 7 2009, 09:58 AM) *

Re: Swineflu jokes.

Really Gerre??? I have never heard anyone joking about it here. Maybe it's because so many people are sick with it in Canada already...

how many people have it in Canada louise?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 7 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #50

Rolling Stone

The Globe and Mail says 142 today.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 7 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #51

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 7 2009, 04:26 PM) *

WHAT!!! that cant be right????? are you confusing people being suspected of having swine flu for actually having it because if it is 142 Canada is like the worst in the world unless there's been a major outbreak that Australia is completely unaware of ......but im sure i wouldve read that somewhere in a newspaper if it were true

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post May 7 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #52

Pathfinder

Member No.: 266185

Theres 2 people in my within 4 miles from me who got swine flu im not to worried about it though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 8 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #53

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ May 7 2009, 06:17 PM) *

WHAT!!! that cant be right????? are you confusing people being suspected of having swine flu for actually having it because if it is 142 Canada is like the worst in the world unless there's been a major outbreak that Australia is completely unaware of ......but im sure i wouldve read that somewhere in a newspaper if it were true

The total confirmed cases in Canada are at 55 as of May 2nd.

CBC News Article

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post May 13 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #54

Drifter

QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 7 2009, 01:09 PM) *

Really? I wonder what the families of the people who died say about that...

Really. It's our thing. We like to make fun of bad things to forget about the bad instead of getting our knickers tied in a knot about everything. You should hear the jokes about the 1985 earthquake hyper.gif .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post May 17 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #55

Drifter

I don't want to open a new thread since I don't have the info in English but some hotels in Cancun are offering a "challenge".

Stay there and if you give them proof that you got Influenza A while in Cancun they will pay for THREE YEARS of vacations to Cancun for you and a companion.

Proof is some kind of medical certificate that you got the disease up to 14 days after your stay or something tongue.gif

The only sad thing is that this only applies to Cancun which is a place you should avoid if you're not a spring breaker :/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post May 17 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #56

Globetrotter

Member No.: 273696

Swine Flu. Slow Week In News Evidently. Most major U.S. news networks have already significantly decreased coverage of the flu. which is a bad strain of "the flu".

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post May 18 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #57

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

QUOTE(visor2040 @ May 17 2009, 02:46 AM) *

Stay there and if you give them proof that you got Influenza A while in Cancun they will pay for THREE YEARS of vacations to Cancun for you and a companion.

Proof is some kind of medical certificate that you got the disease up to 14 days after your stay or something

Hooray! We are off to Cancun week after next (pretty much sans spring breakers by now) and will be hunting around to see if we can get the flu. Thee years of holidays in Cancun is just too hard to resist. Question - Do you always have to take the same companion (hope my wife doesn't read this!)?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bakasyonista
post May 18 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #58

Explorer

Member No.: 140128

QUOTE(wisconsin_fan81 @ May 17 2009, 11:23 AM) *

Swine Flu. Slow Week In News Evidently. Most major U.S. news networks have already significantly decreased coverage of the flu. which is a bad strain of "the flu".

Not here in NY. On Thursday, May 14, there were 3 schools that closed. Today there are 4 more public schools and one Catholic School that close because of swine flu and one death.

--------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny." Frank Outlaw
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 19 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #59

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ May 7 2009, 06:17 PM) *

Globe and Mail says:

Canada has 520 confirmed cases of the A H1N1 virus, also referred to as swine flu. Except for one death, most of the cases are mild and the patients have already recovered.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto....wflu19art02250

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
donyan
post May 30 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #60

Nomad

Member No.: 151427

Hello there World, from the "Mexican flu" location:

politicians in this country really handled (¿handled???) influenza the WORST POSSIBLE WAY. First simptoms were starting at the end of last year: I got the AH1N1 on February, really bad temp and head ache, all articulations felt like having broken glass in them. Stayed in bed for 4 days, took no anty-biotics, but Vicky acupunctured me like the World was ending...after 2 weeks I was in perfect health again.

Most people knew before the alert, even the W.H.O., but mexican government did not want an excuse for Obama not visiting (begging for more money, to loose the war on drugs)

So our dictator "Felipe the First" caused a panic afterwards, because he needed a rest from criticism over bad handling of our economy, and loosing a war that is caused because selling drugs in USA is a HUGE BUSSINESS: in México, they give them for free (no one can pay USA prices here) ...we know that the drug they impound, is being sold by Mex Govnmt, to USA (they are not importing ANYTHING else but drugs, this days).

But "Felipe the First" is so nearsighted he does not see his own glases...he never thought about Tourism being the ONLY industry having some income. (Tourism is called "industry without chimneys" in this country) Now, after "saving the world" (¿?) he pretends to "save tourism"...and "win elections" at the same time.

Since voting in this country never has had ANY legality ever, it's the day to day work of all of us that "keep-on-trucking" this country; with wonderfull people, warm & hospitalarian, with good food tradition & culture, sensacional weather & scenery...not the only one in the world, but one with the most variety. And the music is not that bad, either.

My son lives in Xcaret, (south of Cancún) works as scubadiver instructor. His wife is working as a veterinarian. They are safe, no flu, no violence. Where I live in central México, no flu either. No tourism either...so start traveling OVER HERE! Welcome to my house!

--------------------
...see you later, alligator ! IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 03:32 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.