Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mexico's Swine Flu, Global Epidemic Fears Rise
wakingdream
post Apr 26 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Wow, so no one's talking about this?

I'm definitely not a sensationalist but let's look at it for what it is. It is pretty serious.

How far has it spread? There are reports of school kids in the US, NZ and Canada that may have contracted it. Asia is now on "high alert". This is a very concerning mutation of flu viruses we're talking about.

What do you guys think about what's happening in Mexico right now? Thoughts, Fears? Opinions? Future predictions?

Anyone in Mexico right now?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
branefatboy
post Apr 27 2009, 02:21 AM
Post #2

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 112172
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Im really scared bout this,and im hoping that they will stop it while its not to late.

--------------------
come onnn
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 27 2009, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

The majority of the people in NZ, Canada and US etc have recently returned from a trip in Mexico....and when passed on from human to human it is mutating....I have read that airports are going to start screening travellers from these areas before they enter the country.

I also have read that the World Bank is loaning $102 million to help combat this...

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
branefatboy
post Apr 27 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #4

Nomad

Member No.: 112172

and the good thing is that the medicine reacts to the virus

--------------------
come onnn
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Apr 27 2009, 05:50 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

okay, hopefully Paula doesn't get struck down by it tomorrow - but I think its just the latest thing that people are going to get into a frenzy about - I remember the TV reports about bird flu - we were all going to get wiped out, people would be dying left, right and centre. One of our newspapers (when we were threatened with the bird flu epidemic) - actually wrote an article telling you to go and stock up on tinned and frozen foods, so that when it struck in full force, you would be able to lock yourselves in your homes and have food to eat - For me personally, I won't and don't worry about it in the least.

I am of course very saddened for people who have been affected by it and their families.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 27 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

The reported symptoms are similar to the common flu. They include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

The virus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes around another person. People can become infected by touching something with the flu virus on it and then touching their mouth, nose or eyes.

I remember the SARS out break too.....i think people particuarly in those areas affected should take precautions, however extreme, to ensure their health is safe.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 27 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

It's very easy to get freaked out about stuff like this because of the likelihood that a devastating disease WILL wipe out a big chunk of the world's population.

The problem is, we just don't know WHEN it will happen. It could be today, it could be in 1,000 years. It's as natural as an earthquake or lightning striking. The best you can do is learn how it spreads and try and protect yourself from it that way.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 27 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

t's very easy to get freaked out about stuff like this because of the likelihood that a devastating disease WILL wipe out a big chunk of the world's population.

The truth is we're due for a pandemic or epidemic. WHO (World health Org) believes this very well could be the next Big One. There's still tons of research to be done.

The 1-3 Pandemic rating means we're assessing and planning. The 4th level is putting those plans into action and putting strict travel restrictions in place. The 5th is, well, let's not go there. The virus could even end up latent for the summer and re-emerge in the fall. Viruses work in very funny ways.

The virus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes around another person.

It is not airborne. You can get contract it only by touching something the virus lives on, and it can live for a long period of time on most objects. Or swapping spit as they say.

There's really no reason to "freak out" but I think it's important to know what's going on and learn about how to protect yourself.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Apr 27 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #9

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

It devastated my stocks this morning thats for sure....

I am not worried. I think the one difference between a pandemic now and a pandemic in 1910 is that the healthcare system has improved immensely in the time since. I think they were saying that there are some 50 million vaccinnes ready to go in the United States with more being produced. Thats enough for about 1 in 6 people.

The fact that, as of right now, cases are not as strong outside of Mexico is also highly encouraging. I just hope it passes on before more people get sick or die.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 27 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

I'm booked for Cancun with the family for the 28th. May. I will be keeping a weather eye on the situation to see what happens. At present I have not cancelled anything. We will have to wait and see.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bakasyonista
post Apr 27 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #11

Explorer

Member No.: 140128

I received this through email from NYSNA and I'd like to share it with everyone:

Swine Flu - Protecting yourself, your family and your patients.

Over the weekend Governor Patterson activated the State Emergency Preparedness Plan and put New York State on High Alert due to the confirmation of several positive cases of Swine Flu in NYC and across the United States. This activation will allow the State to effectively monitor the situation and respond quickly to any newly reported cases. For information about New York City cases, please see http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2009/pr016-09.shtml.

The swine influenza (H1N1) virus causes a febrile respiratory illness with symptoms similar to the seasonal flu. However, the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) has anticipated that the flu vaccination received for this year will not be effective against this virus. A total of 20 cases have been reported across the United States.

Protecting yourself, your families and your patients from possible infection is the best prevention. Unless further instructions are released from the CDC, infection control actions remain similar to the seasonal flu:

Wash your hands. Since most viral illnesses are transmitted by contact, washing your hands will decrease the spread of illness among your family, colleagues and patients. Encourage children to wash their hands often. Sneeze or cough into a tissue or into your elbow, and instruct others in this method. Never rely totally on antiseptic hand cleansers; they need to be washed off with soap and water periodically to remain effective;
Eat healthy food and take supplemental vitamins as indicated by your provider;
Stay home when you are ill. Keep children home from school to avoid spreading viruses to other in the community.
Caring for individuals in the home or hospital settings requires diligent use of universal precautions. Be certain to follow your facility or agency policy for precautions.
Those patients who present with febrile illness should be considered for swine influenza, especially if they have traveled into Mexico recently or were in contact with persons who had febrile respiratory illness during the7 days preceding their own illness onset.
Clinicians who suspect swine influenza should obtain a nasopharyngeal swab, place the swab in a viral transport medium, refrigerate the specimen and contact their State or local health department to facilitate transportation and timely diagnosis.
Further clinical guidance for laboratory safety, case definition infection control and information for the public can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm.

The CDC has not recommended that travel be avoided but has provided guidance for travelers to remain healthy and reduce their risk of infection at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluUS.aspx .

Reference Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, 2009, retrieved April 27, 2009 from http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/index.htm

--------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny." Frank Outlaw
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Apr 28 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

QUOTE(jeremystravels @ Apr 27 2009, 05:34 PM) *

I am not worried. I think the one difference between a pandemic now and a pandemic in 1910 is that the healthcare system has improved immensely in the time since. I think they were saying that there are some 50 million vaccinnes ready to go in the United States with more being produced. Thats enough for about 1 in 6 people.

Exactly - it will be contained - just like bird flu/sars and any others that were going to spread like wildfire and kill us all off.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Apr 28 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #13

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

QUOTE(travelmonster @ Apr 28 2009, 05:01 AM) *

Exactly - it will be contained - just like bird flu/sars and any others that were going to spread like wildfire and kill us all off.

I think one promising sign so far is that, while there are cases in other countries, it seems like everyone that has got it has only received mild cases after returning from Mexico and it has not passed on to others from there.

I find it quite disturbing that there are stories that doctors turned patients away in Mexico who exhibited the symptoms. Way to continue the spread of the disease. I also read an article this morning that says the number of cases reported in hospitals in Mexico has been dropping in the past three days too and that they are pretty much on lock down mode with public transportation disrupted, schools closed, museums closed, and all early may celebrations canceled.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 28 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #14

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

I'm not worried at all. We have other viruses that spread just as fast that don't get any attention and still exist.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 28 2009, 08:13 AM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

What viruses are you talking about?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Apr 28 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #16

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

I was worried, living in Southern California, in a city with an extremely large population of hispanic people, many of which are going in and out of Mexico.

I read up on it yesterday, and after doing so, I'm not that worried any more. The only deaths were in Mexico, and they don't really know the extenuating circumstances there (I suspect they were not able to get proper care, or they died of something else).

For me, it's a flu to avoid like any other. The press has just blown it out of proportion like they do many things.

[I admit, that I'm glad some extra precautions have been taken though.]

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 28 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

[quote]I find it quite disturbing that there are stories that doctors turned patients away in Mexico who exhibited the symptoms. Way to continue the spread of the disease.[/quote]

What? Really?

[quote]For me, it's a flu to avoid like any other. The press has just blown it out of proportion like they do many things.[/quote]

I dunno, it's not really like any other flu though. It's a very weird mutation. I'm not overly worried right now but I am definitely concerned, if not for myself, for the many people around the world that have and could die from it. I'm pretty sure this is the highest pandemic level we've reached since the ratings were initiated. That's concerning. Plus, you know, six degrees of separation.

CDC experts are saying that just because we're seeing weak cases of the virus, don't expect they'll all be like that. The thing is, we have no idea what will happen, and whatever is going to happen isn't going to happen overnight.

Personally I hate hype but news is news and news channels are just reporting on the biggest story right now that has developments all the time, so it's always news. It can be overwhelming to hear about it all the time though.

[/quote] The only deaths were in Mexico, and they don't really know the extenuating circumstances there (I suspect they were not able to get proper care, or they died of something else).[quote]

This is an interesting point. We were discussing this the other day, with a geneticist. Apparently the extremely diverse cultural makeup of NA has something to do with the virus's effectiveness (for lack of a better word). Think of it as pure blood lines, and pure blood lines are weaker for some reason........

[/quote]I'm not worried at all. We have other viruses that spread just as fast that don't get any attention and still exist[quote]

Yeah, which other viruses?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
visor2040
post Apr 28 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #18

Drifter

Member No.: 265452

Ahoy from Swine Flu Central hyper.gif

So, should you cancel your trips? Yes, there are talks about the timing of the outbreak being the same time that people came back to Mexico City from several tourist destinations.

Why are people dying here? They didn't get help soon enough. Some showed up at hospitals well over ten days after they first showed symptoms.

Should you panic? Nah, 36K people die in the US alone from seasonal flu. We have 150 deaths so no panic.

More questions? Shoot flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 29 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #19

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Update, US reports first Swine Flu death...

BBC News
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 29 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #20

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

So apparently all outside countries are advising to stay away from the US, Canada, and Mexico

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 05:28 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.