Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy dude jumped out of a plane
starlagurl
post Apr 24 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

A 20 year old Canadian jumped out of a plane somewhere above the Northwest Territories...

You have to be a special kind of crazy to try that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

An “unruly” passenger threw himself out a charter airplane flying high over Canada's far north, leaving his community reeling and grappling for answers.

The 20-year-old man, who has not been identified, was on a small plane flying Wednesday from Yellowknife to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. He began causing unspecified problems and pilots asked police to meet them when they landed.

But before they arrived in the small community the man managed to open the emergency door of the Beechcraft King Air 200 and jump out. The plane was flying at 7,000 metres and the man, who would have fallen for more than two minutes, has not been found.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 24 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

What the...

That must have traumatised everyone else on board, surely... and imagine what he might have hit on landing. Unbelievable.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 24 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 893

It is a very sad story especially because I knew the unfortunate young man and his family. The aircraft was not a regular passenger flight so there were probably not many others on board. And given the time of year I think there is a good chance the man would have lost consciousness from the cold and speed he was travelling at before hitting the ground. As for what he might have hit on landing, given the location there would have been little else but the snow and ice covered tundra.

I would say this is another tragic example of the legacy of social problems that are occurring within Inuit communities largely as a result of the government policy which tried to strip the people of their language and culture and exposed them to untold stories of abuse.

Very sad .....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 27 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yeah, obviously he felt there was no way out. These are the kinds of people that need help, but it's difficult to find them and get them back on track.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
seal
post Mar 17 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 40939

Thats is tragic. But the one question that my mind just raised is why didn't anybody step in and physically control him. Even using belts to strap his arms to the chair arms?

But such a tragic way to do things.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Mar 17 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

We recently had a person jump from a freeway bridge onto oncoming traffic. Not sure what drove his jump, but just as tragic a situation. Happened in my city.

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/03/04/Man_...I10_in_Phoenix/

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 17 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #7

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(seal @ Mar 17 2010, 05:55 PM) *

Thats is tragic. But the one question that my mind just raised is why didn't anybody step in and physically control him. Even using belts to strap his arms to the chair arms?

But such a tragic way to do things.

Without knowing the exact details, I think it is fair to say that the fellow "appeared" quite normal at the beginning but then at some point really lost it. The pilot and crew likely did not know he had been suffering from mental health issues and were probably not prepared for his extreme actions. Usually the pilots are strapped into their seats so cannot react quickly and it is likely that the other passengers never imagined anyone would open the door mid-flight and jump out. I think it probably all happened pretty quickly and that as soon as the door opened, everyone was more concerned with their own safety than trying to stop someone from jumping out.

Suicide is always a tragedy.....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:42 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.