Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Traveling from Sinapore to Thailand
luke_1989
post Apr 24 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has ever traveled from Singapore Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok Thailand. Im just planning my gap year and found the cheapest way to get to asia from the UK to Singapore and can get deals for as cheap as 100! But then i think its 1200 miles to Bangkok which i think costs 30.

I was going to just fly straight to Bangkok but those flights are 400 most the time and Air Asia dont fly from the UK to Bangkok and will be more exciting traveling up from Singapore and cheaper frantics.gif !!

So anyone ever done this route? I plan to go around bout July 2010.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
jeremystravels
post Apr 24 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Apr 24 2009, 07:36 AM) *

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has ever traveled from Singapore Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok Thailand. Im just planning my gap year and found the cheapest way to get to asia from the UK to Singapore and can get deals for as cheap as 100! But then i think its 1200 miles to Bangkok which i think costs 30.

There are many train and bus routes open to do what you are talking about. I am planning a GAP year for late 2010 early 2011 and plan to do the reverse of what you are talking about. Trains leave all the time, are fairly cheap, and it gives you time to check out Malaysia and Southern Thailand on the way. That is probably the stretch I am most excited for, and probably will spend at least 6 weeks working my way from Bangkok down to Singapore, so you should definitely check it out for a while.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 24 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Yep, totally agree. Have done that journey myself and it's loads of fun.

Luke, you can fly to KL, and right now you can get a flight from Singapore to BKK (Air Asia) from 12 quid. Nice eh?

Check this out..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Apr 27 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Thanks everyone. 12 thats really cheap!!

I cant wait till July time now im just counting the days lol. I think it will be good traveling up through singapore get to see a lot more.

Do i have to get a visa to go to thailand before i go or can i get it at the boarder??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Apr 27 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Also do i need a Visa to travel in Malaysia??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 27 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

What passport are you travelling on?

UK, Australia, NZ, Canada etc etc do not need a visa for up to three months....

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Apr 28 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #7

Pathfinder

QUOTE(raniroo @ Apr 27 2009, 08:23 AM) *

What passport are you travelling on?

UK, Australia, NZ, Canada etc etc do not need a visa for up to three months....

Yeah a UK passport so wont need a visa:).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 14 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #8

World Traveler

Group: Members
Member No.: 228012
Nominate me as a Local Expert

AirAsia and Tiger is cheap. If you book in advance, it's even cheaper. If not. Take the jungle train from Singapore to the very north of Malaysia during the day time (beautiful views) and then you can keep going from there.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koonel
post Jul 5 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #9

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1111301
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Apr 24 2009, 07:36 AM) *

Hi All

I was going to just fly straight to Bangkok but those flights are 400 most the time and Air Asia dont fly from the UK to Bangkok and will be more exciting traveling up from Singapore and cheaper frantics.gif !!

I have taken the train in the opposite direction - Bangkok to Hat Yai, to Butterworth/Penang, to KL and then to Singapore. Long ride! Taking a cheap flight is more convenient for the Malaysia to Thailand part but I would consider a bus or train from Singapore to KL. Penang gets a lot of young travelers. The train station for Penang is Butterworth, only a short ferry ride or taxi ride away.

You could fly from Penang (or KL) to Bangkok if you want. Keep in mind that the cheap discount airlines do have some tight weight allowances where you pay for being overweight! Verify the airport you are landing at if you are making any connections.

When you are on trains and buses in Thailand they can be a little chilly so have a light jacket or something to put on. Also, never put your passport, cash, jewelry or anything small and valuable in your checked in bag. Some pilfering comes up every now and then, even by fellow tourists.

Good luck.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jul 6 2010, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

I'm defo taking the train from Malaysia to Singpore when I go .... can't wait frantics.gif

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 05:04 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Singapore

Chinatown Hotels
Little India Hotels
Pulau Ubin Hotels
Sentosa Island Hotels
Singapore Hotels
Singapore River Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.