Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peru in January, Planning a trip to Peru 2010-is jan okay?
kristen.darling
post Apr 22 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 276686
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Peru... I am so excited. I have traveled all over Europe but never to South America. I want to book tickets ASAP but the one thing bugging me is that I want to make sure that January is a decent month to go. I plan to fly into Lima visit the ruins and stay in the south. Can anyone reassure me or discourage me from traveling in January. January is the best time for us to go but I don't want to book it if the weather is going to be a total bummer.
So, if you have any advice in regards to traveling to Peru's Southern region in January please let me know. Your wisdom is much appreciated.

thanks,
miss darling
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 23 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Kristen, January seems to be a great time to go:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-...When.To.Go.html

Summer is from December to March but, it is the rainy season on the highlands and the jungle. During February the Inca Trail is closed for tourists.In summer the beaches south of Lima are great. You can also go to the North of Peru and visit Mancora all year round, as it is close to the Equator and will be sunny.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 23 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

It"s summer in Lima in January. Weather is quite hot during the day. It never rains in Lima

In the sierra it is rainy season. It means everything is green and fresh, but you may get rainy days. If you are hiking, it may not be the best time to go, but if not, there is really no problem. Go for it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kristen.darling
post Apr 23 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Wow, thanks...That makes me feel a lot better. We may or may not hike- knowing that it may be muddy and rainy but lush and green sounds good and so do the beaches south of Lima. Thanks for the reassurance.... We will for sure see Machu Picchu but maybe skip the Inca trail part or prepare for possible rain.
thanks,
K

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 23 2009, 07:37 PM) *

It"s summer in Lima in January. Weather is quite hot during the day. It never rains in Lima

In the sierra it is rainy season. It means everything is green and fresh, but you may get rainy days. If you are hiking, it may not be the best time to go, but if not, there is really no problem. Go for it.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kristen.darling
post Apr 23 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Thanks for your encouraging words...I like the idea of being at the ocean and swimming. WE of course will want to see Machu Picchu as well but we may just have to be prepared for some rain while doing it which is fine with me. I am sure it is nice tropical rain that doesn't last for long and can even be refreshing... thanks again.
-Kristen

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 23 2009, 09:41 AM) *

Hey Kristen, January seems to be a great time to go:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-...When.To.Go.html

Summer is from December to March but, it is the rainy season on the highlands and the jungle. During February the Inca Trail is closed for tourists.In summer the beaches south of Lima are great. You can also go to the North of Peru and visit Mancora all year round, as it is close to the Equator and will be sunny.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 24 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

You're welcome!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 27 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Don't get too excited about Peruvian beaches, unless you are a surfer. The water is always cold even in Summer, and it gets colder the further south you go (Humbolt Current). Most beaches have heavy surf and only a few with protected bays have calmer water. The sand on the beaches is dark grey. Sorry to be a wet blanket in this respect, but there is so much to see in Peru you probably won't miss it. The only area where the water is warm and calm is in the far north around Mancora.

Indeed the rain will fall mostly in the afternoons, and is not the cold miserable rain you get in northern climes (though there are always exceptions).

Whatever, you will have a wonderful time in Peru.

P.S. I'm actually in Trujillo at this very moment.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kar077
post May 14 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 278739

Hello,

Well, I'm writing in response to your question. If you want to visit the south of Peru, you should go between June and September because there is a warm weather and you would have beautiful views without any cloud. The only problem will be that you have to book everything in advance (a month as minimum) because from June to September Peru is in high season. The prices won’t rise a lot, just a few percent.

I hope this info would help you in case you plan your trip.
Thanks!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tomkidds
post Jun 22 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 283230

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 23 2009, 07:37 PM) *

Yes peru is great on january ,summer in lima,if you visit lima for a day or two i subgest you to use this taxi company LimaPeruTaxi.com they offers tours and taxi rides from within airport.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lauradavis
post Jun 24 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #10

Drifter

Member No.: 283387

Lima in January is great. It's beautiful to walk along the clifftop parks of Miraflores, visit the Rosa Nautica and spend some time on the beaches in the south or the north. There's never much of a change in the weather day by day in January, it's guaranteed sunshine and heat! The jungle sees it's rainy season in Jan and Feb at it's height, great if you like the rain! February is the height of summer with the hottest days (normally).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mikebuffer
post Dec 15 2009, 04:27 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 577901

If you are planning to go to Peru in January you must escape sierra because it is rainy season in this region. But of course everything is green and fresh because it is wet in the place. But if you like the place then go I'm sure you will enjoy watching the green vegetation but don't go hiking to prevent the rain. be prepared.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
potterygirl
post Apr 19 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 932491

Im also hoping to go to Peru in January. I was initially thinking of spending two months taking in Chile and Argentina, is this too hectic? Alternativly I could spend a month seeing whatever Peru has to offer, hopefully getting in the heritage sites, Lake Titicaca and the rainforest. It seems like Machu Picju isnt open in January is this correct? Whats the best means of travelling around Peru? I like the idea of going overland to maximise what I see but this might not be time permitting.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 09:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chincha Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Lazaro Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.