Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Malta Horrible, Malta Horrible
big180
post Apr 22 2009, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 276600

Malta is like a third world Arab country. It has the worst roads and sidewalks in Europe.
The Maltese are only nice when they are making money from you. I was assaulted and robbed
in Buggiba, with no help from the police. They do not report most of thier crime. I recommed coming with 9 22 or 38 euros only, its the Mideast, With Mideast Arab mentality. A better Med trip is Croatia.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 22 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Welcome to the forums big180. That's really sad to hear, are you alright now?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 22 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 893

Yes.... Welcome and sorry to hear about your awful experience in Malta. However, I still do hope to visit there one day. Just curious, why do you specifically recommend 9, 22 or 38 euros only??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
laorfamily
post Apr 22 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Member No.: 30320

Hmmm...been to the Mid East many times and never been robbed or assualted. Being cheated comes with traveling.

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Apr 22 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

QUOTE(big180 @ Apr 22 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Malta is like a third world Arab country. It has the worst roads and sidewalks in Europe.
The Maltese are only nice when they are making money from you. I was assaulted and robbed
in Buggiba, with no help from the police. They do not report most of thier crime. I recommed coming with 9 22 or 38 euros only, its the Mideast, With Mideast Arab mentality. A better Med trip is Croatia.

Interesting perspective.

I went to Malta a couple of months back and yes the roads are bad by European standards, but I found the Maltese people to be really friendly. They seem to be very direct, but I like that, you know where you stand, but random Maltese people just stopped to talk to us in the street for no apparent reason. I know this happens in other countries, but where I'm from - England - this wouldn't happen and I found it very refreshing.

I would suspect that with Buggiba being one of the biggest holiday resorts on the island, it could well have been another tourist that you encountered - not that it makes it right, but just my thoughts.

I really don't think it can be compared to the middle east though.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post Apr 22 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Nomad

Member No.: 111680

I think it's a joke. And not a very funny one at that.

I mean, "bring only 9, 22 or 38 €" ? What is this based on ?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Apr 23 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

My parents were there last week and seemed to have a good time.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post May 20 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

QUOTE(big180 @ Apr 22 2009, 06:14 AM) *

java script:emoticon(':no:', 'smid_30')

Many friends of mine have visited Malta and returned with the best impressions!!!
In fact I am thinking of visiting Malta in the near future.
I guess this title above naming Malta as Horrible is just an exaggeration!

We cannot describe a place Horrible just because someone stupid did something bad.
I also had such an experience in my trip to Mount Sainai in the Desert of the Sahara, but I can't balme a whole nation just because somebody took advantage of the situation that I was sick and helpless in the coach and took nearly all my money from my bag!!

I believe you could give a different title .....like "A bad experience in Malta" nothing more.

I can't understand what you mean when you write the above....coming with 9 22 or 38 euros.
Could you explain pls?

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dizzy23b
post Jun 11 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 281879

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ May 20 2009, 01:30 PM) *

java script:emoticon(':no:', 'smid_30')

Many friends of mine have visited Malta and returned with the best impressions!!!
In fact I am thinking of visiting Malta in the near future.
I guess this title above naming Malta as Horrible is just an exaggeration!

We cannot describe a place Horrible just because someone stupid did something bad.
I also had such an experience in my trip to Mount Sainai in the Desert of the Sahara, but I can't balme a whole nation just because somebody took advantage of the situation that I was sick and helpless in the coach and took nearly all my money from my bag!!

I believe you could give a different title .....like "A bad experience in Malta" nothing more.

I can't understand what you mean when you write the above....coming with 9 22 or 38 euros.
Could you explain pls?

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot

I've been to Malta many, many times and any trouble i've had has not been from a Maltese resident.....it's been other "visitors".......
This is a fantastic country and it's people are amazing. I'm wondering if the OP is either joking or found themselves in an awkward situation with another visitor.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jun 11 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

Yes it must be a joke....
Otherwise he would have answwered and explained what he means with 9 22 or 38.
He never came back!

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
abao
post Aug 7 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 293707

You are absoluutely RIGHT.
We have spent, this summer, our worst family holidays.
Disgraceful place and disgusting people.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
abao
post Aug 7 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 293707

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Jun 11 2009, 02:55 PM) *

Yes it must be a joke....
Otherwise he would have answwered and explained what he means with 9 22 or 38.
He never came back!

------------

We come from Spain and have spent in Malta, this summer, our worst family holidays.
People are interested in your money, only.

The hotel Golden Tulip Vivaldi, in Paceville, is not a place to be recommended.

I have travelled along three continents in my life. This is the first time I have to make such an statement.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
island_hopper
post Nov 15 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 508861

One bad experience in any country does not constitute branding a country as bad. If we all did that then nobody would travel anywhere. This sounds like an unfortunate incident and it's awful to hear of such things happening to anyone on a holiday. I have been to malta several times and found the people to be very friendly and sociable.

As for the third world country?? Malta is currently in the midst of upgrading roads and doing general improvements throughout the island (but it's far from a third world country), this takes time.....like in any other country, but the maltese are a very committed people. And just in case we forget, this was the most bombed country during World War II and I think they have done quite well to return this island to it's former glory.

On crime in Malta well from my experience this is virtually non-existent . Anway for others who do like Malta or are thinking of visiting here are a couple of sites on this great place.

Try Malta

Visit Malta

---------------------------------------------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thirstyvoyager
post Jan 15 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 664321

QUOTE(island_hopper @ Nov 15 2009, 06:44 AM) *

One bad experience in any country does not constitute branding a country as bad. If we all did that then nobody would travel anywhere. This sounds like an unfortunate incident and it's awful to hear of such things happening to anyone on a holiday. I have been to malta several times and found the people to be very friendly and sociable.

As for the third world country?? Malta is currently in the midst of upgrading roads and doing general improvements throughout the island (but it's far from a third world country), this takes time.....like in any other country, but the maltese are a very committed people. And just in case we forget, this was the most bombed country during World War II and I think they have done quite well to return this island to it's former glory.

On crime in Malta well from my experience this is virtually non-existent . Anway for others who do like Malta or are thinking of visiting here are a couple of sites on this great place.

Try Malta

Visit Malta

---------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you here. I recently visited Malta with my GF and had a wonderful time. While we were on a very low budget and stayed in a "not worth writing about" accomodation (we only went there once we were exhausted every night), we spent most of our time out in the crystal clear waters around both Malta and Gozo island.

I especially loved the blue grotto and the blue lagoon. Snorkelling is another thing I enjoyed in these clear waters.

Malta also has a great history which you can spend seeemingly endless hours to explore. Valetta, the 3 fortified cities, Mdina, St. johns Cathedral etc. hold gems of how and why Malta was such a coveted strategic location for wars and battles in history.

I booked many of our malta tours online through www.isango.com

They have a choice selection of the very best Malta offers for groups or indviduals looking to explore the region. Try their Malta tours section.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jezzb
post Feb 11 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 745801

What Big180 wrote about our beautiful Malta and about us Maltese is simply NOT TRUE. Shame on you for writing these lies. We are a friendly nation - has been like this for centuries. We are hard working, kind and honest people. We are members of the European Union and almost everyone speaks English. I ask all people who read this page to simply vist this website: www.visitmalta.com and judge for themselves if Malta is like big180 has described it. If Malta was so bad - why do we have 1.2 Million people tourists every year? 1.2 million is a lot when considering that our island is only 26 x 15 miles, and we are ony 400,000. They come because our country has a lot to offer - Culture -Sun - Beautiful Sea, and Excellent Food. Malta is a place where you really feel that you are welcome and at home.

This is the truth about Malta and nothing else. Many people have already confirmed what I just wrote in their replies to Big180's post.

Come and visit us and you will see that what I write is true.
Welcome to our Home
Jesmond Bugeja - A true Maltese from Naxxar - Malta
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bellaissa
post May 15 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 997791

I am an Australian and have Travelled to many Destinations.I have been to Malta many times and yes, the Roads are like goat tracks but with the EU they are improving greatly.What I have learnt along the way is not to compare one Country with another you must accept each place on it's own merit.Malta is small but Couragious and the Locals I have met there are more than helpful and welcoming I love it and will be going again in 2011.Maybe the company you kept in Buggiba was not the right kind,but Crime is everywhere you Travel .I doubt that you were robbed by any Maltese(Although if the store owners can they will)But Traveller beware this happens everywhere.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jezzb
post May 15 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 745801

QUOTE(bellaissa @ May 15 2010, 12:40 AM) *

I am an Australian and have Travelled to many Destinations.I have been to Malta many times and yes, the Roads are like goat tracks but with the EU they are improving greatly.What I have learnt along the way is not to compare one Country with another you must accept each place on it's own merit.Malta is small but Couragious and the Locals I have met there are more than helpful and welcoming I love it and will be going again in 2011.Maybe the company you kept in Buggiba was not the right kind,but Crime is everywhere you Travel .I doubt that you were robbed by any Maltese(Although if the store owners can they will)But Traveller beware this happens everywhere.

Bellaissa - I am starting to suspect tha you have never been to Malta and you only want to write crap about our lovely country. How can you live on 38 Euros? I think that you mind is fogged and you are still stuck in the middleast of 50 years ago. I visted many countries in the middle east and their roads ar good and people are nice.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post May 16 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #18

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I think the fact that the original poster has not responded at all since the initial comment is fair indication that his/her post should not be considered representative of the view of most Travelpodders.

I hope people will also remember to consider the Forum Rules before replying and also verify to whom your responding to.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
krishnakurien
post Jun 6 2012, 04:33 AM
Post #19

Wanderer

Member No.: 2875723

Although I am really sorry for your bad experience, I cannot say that mine was not pleasant! I stayed in St. Julians, neat St. George's Bay at a nice hotel which I previously booked from RihlaPrime. They gave me a 70% off deal. Except that I even had a tumultuous but also eventless nightlife! I would not take this as a representative experience!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
antoine99
post Aug 3 2012, 02:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 2686223

you were most probably unlucky ! Malta has be elected one of the safest country in the world by a very serious study. For being in Matla quiet often, I can tell you that the place is safe. Of course in summer you can have your stuff robbed on the beach or have some probleme in clubs because ppl drink to much etc ... But this happen everywhere.
In Malta, you dont need to lock your car, your flat or your bike. Maltese ppl does not have the mentality of stealing which we have in most of the european countries.
I guess you had a bad luck, sorry ...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 09:01 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.