Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Work and Travel
dodotheexplorer
post Aug 11 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2184223
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi there,

I am planning to go for 1 year to OZ and I need a bit of help. help.gif

I was thinking to go on a work and holiday and I like to travel around quite a bit.....

Any tips? Everything is appreciated.

Anybody interested to join?

Thanks

Dodo
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 9 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 202074

QUOTE(dodotheexplorer @ Aug 11 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Hi there,

I am planning to go for 1 year to OZ and I need a bit of help. help.gif

I was thinking to go on a work and holiday and I like to travel around quite a bit.....

Any tips? Everything is appreciated.

Anybody interested to join?

Thanks

Dodo

G,day Dodo

My reply maybe a tad late but if you intend to travel and work in oz then u will need the appropriate visa or you could end up in a lot of trouble check out the Australian government web site re working holiday visa's, due to the high number of illegal in the country the immigration are cracking down hard best to have the right paper work than be sent home post haste and have a deportation notice on your passport makes it harder to travel any where after that has been put on
cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dodotheexplorer
post Jan 12 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the tips
I am about to sort out my work and holiday visa at the moment.

But does anyone has experience with the Greyhound busses? is it worth it?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 12 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

QUOTE(dodotheexplorer @ Jan 12 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Thanks for the tips
I am about to sort out my work and holiday visa at the moment.

But does anyone has experience with the Greyhound busses? is it worth it?

Have not heard any bad reports there is also a company called Oz bus they transport back packers around but here is something to think about when u are in a location that is popular and want to go from say Cairns to Brisbane look on line at campervan and car rental companies and see what they are offering for return cars or vans you can get them for as little as $1 a day, downside is you only have so long to get from point A to point B but still worth the look some even throw in so much fuel as well, so while travelling around that is another option, and be careful of the backpacker special campervans some can be rather hairy and unreliable.
cheers Stewart
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dodotheexplorer
post Jan 13 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #5

Yes I was looking at campervan etc. allready.
I found some which are starting at around 30 per day and if I find a travel buddy it would be ok as I would spend about the same mount of money on stays at hostles etc per night!

Do you know where I could get a good deal for a campervan?

And how is it with parking the van? Especially if I decide to go to the cities etc...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 13 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

QUOTE(dodotheexplorer @ Jan 13 2012, 01:18 PM) *

Yes I was looking at campervan etc. allready.
I found some which are starting at around 30 per day and if I find a travel buddy it would be ok as I would spend about the same mount of money on stays at hostles etc per night!

Do you know where I could get a good deal for a campervan?

And how is it with parking the van? Especially if I decide to go to the cities etc...

G,day dodo,

hm ok the cheapest i found here was for a little van that you can drive around and leave in the city car parks etc ,most backpackers sleep rough ,if you were to park it in a caravan park then u will still need to rent a site from them depending on stays i did a rough costing for you on one her based on a 46 day hire and it worked out at $36 a day BUT then you have insurances on top of that and that is where it gets expensive an extra $18 a day for insurance an extra $5 for windscreen and tire so what stated out cheap can be expensive plus they only have a sink and stove in them basic entertainment radio and cassette player here is what it would cost u on top of your $36 a day,

Liability Reduction Accident Liability Security Deposit Daily Rate
Breezer, Nomad, Wanderer & Warrior
Smart Pack Nil $220 (imprint) $38
Includes: Tyre & Windscreen Cover, Camping Chairs (1 per person travelling), Extra Driver Fees, LP Gas Refill.
Option 2 Nil $220 (imprint) $30
Optional Extras: Tyre & Windscreen cover for $5 per day
Option 1 $1,500 $1,500 (debited) $20
Standard $3,500 $3,500 (debited) Included
Quattro

so you see the extras catch you out, The Oz Experience Bus is similar to the grey hound but here is an example to travel on the coast from Sydney to Cairns and do it in 365 days you will pay $650 for that and you can hop on and off at any point along the way they also only travel daylight hours so no need to sleep in a bus here is their web site

http://www.ozexperience.com/

now this also allows you to do up an itinerary so u can see what where they go. Another one is via train now this is a cheap ticket an covers some of your southern and central Australian travel, bear in mind that the Indian Pacific Sydney >Perth will be in a non sleeper and will take 4 days to complete but for $50 it is not a bad way to travel or you could break it up Sydney to Melbourne then Melbourne to Adelaide and then Adelaide to Perth each one costing $50, the same with the Ghan it is the train that runs from Darwin to Adelaide and passes thru The Alice again you can break the journey with say a stay in Katherine or Alice then on to Adelaide Darwin to Alice is 24hours and the same for Alice to Adelaide again you will have sleeper chairs. here is the link for that, they al;so do bus passes as well.

http://www.statravel.com.au/oz_tracks_pass.htm

the other alternative is to hostel it and buy a cheap car here but bear in mind you will need to have it fully insured in the event of an accident it might cost u say roughly $4000 but for 12 months that works out at $11 a day plus fuel and insurance, we have two types of insurance here in oz and can be a bit confusing the one that comes with the car covers you for damage to other people both in and out of your car not you the driver as well as property damage not vehicle damage.

The most important thing you can do for your self is to have FULL TRAVEL INSURANCE don't get the discounted one shop around for the best price but look at what they cover u for the top of the range will cover you for car rental damage if u decide to hire a camper van Check with the insurance company if they cover that.
I hope this has helped an you can send me a message via my blog just click my name and it will take you to my main page and then you can select send a message on my home page on the right hand side and if u need other advice or help send it to me via that but keep this open as others can help as well.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dodotheexplorer
post Jan 14 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #7

Hi Rossport,

Thanks for that! It is amazingly detailed and gives me some to work from for a possible roadtrip.

How about internal flights which is a good company to go with?

Dodo
party.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 14 2012, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Pathfinder

QUOTE(dodotheexplorer @ Jan 14 2012, 06:19 AM) *

Hi Rossport,

Thanks for that! It is amazingly detailed and gives me some to work from for a possible roadtrip.

How about internal flights which is a good company to go with?

Dodo
party.gif

G'day Dodo,
Depends on who has the specials at the time there is the main airline Qantas and then there is Virgin and Qantas's discount airline Jetstar we have 2 others but at this stage i would not look at them as one is very unreliable and the other has just started out so has not many destinations, flights are getting a bit dearer but if u are prepared to fly light carry on then u can get a ticket from say Brisbane to Melbourne with Qantas for as little as 119 one way, so check on a site called webjet and look for Australian domestic deals. hope this helps a little more.
Cheers Stewart
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dodotheexplorer
post Feb 23 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #9

Thanks,

Visa is all sorted!

Planning my travel route at the moment.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.