Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Female Only bus service
raniroo
post Apr 13 2009, 05:44 AM
Post #1

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

Dubai has launched the first female-only bus service in the Emirates from 10 April 2009 to service the demand of female passengers travelling to/from work.

Timeout Article

Please note: That there are already lady taxies and lady bank queues operating in the Emirates

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 13 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Oh no... Were bad things happening like on the Tokyo subways? Or is it because they think bad things will happen?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 13 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I think this is great since I have seen segregated buses in Iran and understand how it can disadvantage female commuters. In some ways this represents the ultimate in segregation but if it helps women get home faster and easier, then I think it's a good idea.

I personally don't favour a segregated society but in the event that occurs, if there is any way to help make lives easier for both women and men, why not?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 13 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Sightseer

It's not a safety thing it is more a cultural issue. Of course all the other buses are mixed, but I think it is because of the increase of local woman working

--------------------

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 14 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

I don't know...why should women get home faster than men? Who says they're going home after work anyway?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 14 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 14 2009, 10:19 AM) *

I don't know...why should women get home faster than men? Who says they're going home after work anyway?

From what I remember in the article, one of the problems was that the buses were not necessarily stopping for women because the men standing blocked the driver from seeing that there were still actually empty seats in the women's section of the bus? Isn't that right? And if these buses are like the ones I have been on, the women's section is also likely much smaller than those for the men.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 14 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #7

Sightseer

You also have to remember that in a western society it is normal to mix, but many covered woman who believe in equal rights and all that still feel comfortable being segregated from the men (in buses, queues, crowds etc)

I am not just talking about local men. There is a huge problem in Dubai with the construction workers and labourers from the Indian continent. They consistantly eye you off and makes you feel very uncomfortable and they have no shame in trying to get into your personal space.

In a culture where this is taboo you can understand why there is the segregation.

I know I feel uncomfortable when a construction bus goes past me. 50 men all oogling (and they now have the audacity to cat call and make comments) (a bit like going past a construction site in Australia actually)

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 15 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Yes, I can understand if there is harassment going on, then maybe there should be separation between sexes. BUT isn't that the same justification for apartheid?

Can this separation be compared to apartheid though? Is it similar, or completely different?

I'm so far away from understanding both situations that I have no idea.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 17 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #9

Sightseer

Initially, the service will be run with male drivers, but if the initiative is a success it will put on female drivers.

Currently there are only 12 seats designated for woman on the buses, which is not many seats considering the increase in woman travellers.

A female can still travel on the mixed buses, that won't change, but there now a choice for those that feel more comfortable travelling in same sex public transport.

Dubai has had huge success with the Ladies only taxis (which takes ladies or families). There are about 40 female drivers in Dubai. I have taken these taxis occassionally (usually because they are next in line) and I have been much more comfortable than in the male taxi (where I am usually harrassed about my age, weight, marriage status, proposals and the like....

Anti discrimination in this part of the world, as much as I would like to believe it does exist and on some level it does, but nothing like it is in the West.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 17 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Wow... I would like to go there an experience this at some point. It definitely is a very very different world.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fdakuae
post Dec 29 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #11

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 517951

well I like this step from Dubai government espcially many women like to use public transport, have free time off harassment from some men, and custom reasons.

But it's strange that there is no service at duration from 12pm to 3pm coz women might still working at these time such as in many banks, schools, and office work. However, in my opinon nowadays local women can drive to work, or have women driver at private cars, or sometime her husband drive her for work.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 03:00 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.