Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cusco Inca Trail to Machupicchu, Inca Trail Machupicchu 4 Days
Silvana
post Jun 27 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

We are three girls from Uk and planing a trip to Peru and make the Inca Trail to Machupicchu 04 Days / 03 Nights on August 2nd but our travel Agent . WWW.PERUTOURISTINFORMATION.COM
Mailed us, we need to book it in advnace with 30 days in advance any help about this we will pareciate
Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
travelerbill
post Jun 27 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2160

Your specific travel agency may need you to book 30 days in advance but, to book an actual tour, you only need to do that 3 working days in advance. At least that's what I did, as I arrived in Cusco without any reservations and booked a tour with a local shop and was on the Trail 4 days later. The 3 days is required so the government can approve your passport info and add you to the list of guests on the trail. There's checkpoints along the way etc...

Having said that, it's 'high season' time on the Inca Trail as it's winter and there's less rain. Also, University students are getting out of school and off to explore the world on packaged tours. At this time of year, I'd strongly suggest having a spot reserved, even if you do that through the internet and with a local tour group rather than through your travel agent.

If you want to be like me (the unplanned traveler), it's still very possible for you to slip into a few empty spots because tour groups in the city mix n' match their groups or whatever you want to call it. People will sign up with different companies and end up in the same trail group in order to fill empty spots. They "trade" customers sort of. And if someone doesn't show up for a reserved spot, bingo. You're in. Lots of people drop out in the time from when they booked to actually getting to Cusco.

Tourists can also end up spending a great deal more for almost the exact same thing depending on who they buy from and which tour company you choose. Outfits that show up in guidebooks have more demand, which usually equals higher prices. A British couple I met up with at the end of the trail paid $1000 USD each for basically the same tour as what I got (although they didn't have to carry their own packs). They just about fainted when I told them how much I paid.

I paid $180 USD (including sleepbag rental) at a local tour office on "gringo alley" in the heart of Cusco. There's plenty of them to choose from and it took about 10 mins to sign up for the tour and hand over my cash. No complaints about the tour (not serious anyway) and you can read about it in my travelpod. Another guy in my group paid $150 (bag included), which is the lowest price I heard about. Much better than the $330 that a popular outfit was asking and they didn't have any spots open anyway.

Can't remember the name of the outfit I went with but might be able to dig it up if you want it. Also, if you want any tips about taking the tour before you get there, I can tell you a couple things or like I said, read my travelpod or others that explain what will happen. Don't worry too much about spoiling it by seeing all the sights in advance. There aren't any photos I've seen that come close to actually being there.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Jun 27 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

We actually just recently came back from the Inca Trail and loved it.. it was amazing! Because we went in high season, we booked two months in advance and it was definitely necessary. BTW, we went with PeruTreks and they were great! If you are set on doing the Inca Trail, book in advance. There are some other options (Ie biking) that can be arranged more last minute.

Happy trails!

Check out

My entry from Cusco

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Jun 28 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 370

QUOTE(andrea @ Jun 28 2006, 03:57 AM) *
... There are some other options (Ie biking) that can be arranged more last minute.

what.. can you bike all the way the sun gate? i've never heard of it.. but sounds fun and different, though hard work, uphill at altitude.. probably have to take a different route from hikers yeah?

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mrjoe
post Jun 28 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 637

The number of people allowed on the inca trail is restricted so in peak season it gets booked up far in advance. I heard that the whole trail is completely booked up until the end of August and because everyone's name has to be registered in advance it's not even possible to get on someone else's cancellation.
If you have found a company with places free for august 2nd then book it asap.
There are other treks to Machu Picchu if the trail isn't available. I met people who had walked the Salcantay route and really enjoyed it.

I went with Andean Life a few weeks ago and they were very good. I paid 330 dollars (including the trail and machu picchu entrance fees and bus and train back to Cusco) which was well worth it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
Punta Veleros Hotels
San Ramon Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.