Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's your perception of Dubai?
raniroo
post Apr 9 2009, 06:59 AM
Post #1

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

I am curious to know what travellers think about Dubai when they read articles (some with very different views) like The Dark Side of Dubai or The Bright Side of Dubai.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 9 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I have already visited Dubai very briefly and even though I know that whatever is written Must be true, I still hope to return for a longer stay so I can develop my own personal impression of the city. As it is, I was awed with what I have seen to date although clearly to get a more accurate picture would require a significantly longer stay.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 9 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Hmmm... I guess when I think of Dubai, I think that it is a place of massive consumerism and waste, silly people spending too much money, drunk on the riches that oil and quick wealth brings.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 9 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

From: In the process of moving, but Currently in...Huntsville, AL
Member No.: 97423

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 9 2009, 11:56 AM) *

Hmmm... I guess when I think of Dubai, I think that it is a place of massive consumerism and waste, silly people spending too much money, drunk on the riches that oil and quick wealth brings.

Aww Louise...what's wrong with massive consumerism and spending too much money?? It's not like it created any problems in the US blow.gif

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Most current Travelogue - Click Here

My Travelogues - Click Here

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 9 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

I think the inner workings of Dubai would be pretty interesting. The cultural dichotomy fascinates me. The wealth and waste aspect of it isn't very appealing but you can't really judge a place for what it seems like. You have to visit to get a proper perspective.

So, it seems a bit daunting b/c it's so much so fast and so incredibly extraordinary.The pace Dubai is keeping is well, captivating in a way. I'm interested in the local side of things outside of the expat community.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Apr 11 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #6

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 9 2009, 10:56 AM) *

Unfortunately there is a lot of waste and massive consumerism not just in Dubai but all over the region. But there are some people who are trying to make a difference.....recycling is now starting to become a hot topic and solar power too....new developments are setting up recycling programmes and recycling of water (they use sewage water on public gardens) and of course there is the desalination plant.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 11 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Managing massive growth in a positive way takes a bit of time right. It's good to know they're getting hip to it.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 05:05 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.