Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The different Maldivian Islands, The different Maldivian Islands
maldivestagent
post Apr 3 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 192295

Having lived in the Maldives for 3 years, I want to share information about the islands. In essence the islands are the same, all have accommodation, diving, an array of different room types, but until you visit the islands, you can then understand the differences - eg room types, dive sites, board basis packages, atmosphere ect. I aim to share this information with you. My last visit there was in September, but in the coming months, more islands are being opened either from refurbishment or as a brand new island - so do feel free to contribute.

If you want looking to visit the Maldives, and have questions, then please do let me know.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 3 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Thanks Alison!

What was the coolest thing you did on your last trip there?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Apr 3 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Many things from - spending the day on an uninhabited island, where my lunch was brought in by boat, relaxing and swimming with no one around.

Snorkeling and diving - both fantastic, the underwater world is just amazing..........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 3 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

I love the Maldives - I was there back in 2004, and it was just beautiful! The island I went to was called 'Kuredu' and it's one of the largest, even having a golf course with driving range!

I'd love to go back one day and try out one of the other islands - they've so many different things to offer. I've seen the one with the underwater restaurant in pictures, and that looks amazing!

Anywhere you go in the Maldives is bound to be paradise, it is glorious!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Apr 4 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #5

Voyager

Kuredu are still expanding the island, and have converted more of the beach villas to jacuzzi beach villas. They have also built some pool villas in the centre of the island.

The Conrad Maldives is the one with the underwater restaurant - it is out of this world........

Am sure you will get back there one day soon!!!

Alison
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 4 2009, 04:52 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

From: In the process of moving, but Currently in...Huntsville, AL
Member No.: 97423

What's the easiest way to get to the Maldives??

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Most current Travelogue - Click Here

My Travelogues - Click Here

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Apr 13 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Voyager

Flights are available from the UK, Germany, France, Russia, Thailand, Switzerland, Doha, Dubai, Sri Lanka, are just some of destinations you can fly from to the Maldives - these destinations have established links, - there could well be other countries.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post May 10 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #8

Voyager

Single people do go to the Maldives, especially if they enjoy the diving. Relaxing ect is fab in the Maldives, and in January, you should be fine, - why, as it is not typically honeymoon period which is generally between June and August. So you should be fine.

Why Summer Island? It is one of the older islands and in the Maldives, and has not been refurbed for a few years......... they do offer an all inclusive option, and, the island is popular with repeat guests......

I would also suggest going to one of the larger islands, - Meeru, Kuramathi, Kuredu as examples, more things going on, if you wish, and more chance of other individuals there.........

Hope this helps, feel free to drop me a line if you have anymore questions.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post May 12 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #9

Voyager

Kuredu offer a wide range of room types, from garden rooms, beach bungalows to beach villas, water villas and villas with jacuzzi. So the chances are, the room type is a garden room or a beach bungalow - I would have a look on the islands website www.kuredu.com to understand if the location of that room type meets your requirements....... they are not perhaps as luxurious as say the beach villa room types. Plus as I recall most UK travel agents do grade these two room types lower - 3*+ I believe....

Kuredu is a large island with lots of activities ect, so perhaps wont be as evident that you are a solo traveller.

If you would like further info or prices do feel free to contact me.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kirankhan
post May 21 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 279448
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(maldivestagent @ Apr 3 2009, 04:00 AM) *

Having lived in the Maldives for 3 years, I want to share information about the islands. In essence the islands are the same, all have accommodation, diving, an array of different room types, but until you visit the islands, you can then understand the differences - eg room types, dive sites, board basis packages, atmosphere ect. I aim to share this information with you. My last visit there was in September, but in the coming months, more islands are being opened either from refurbishment or as a brand new island - so do feel free to contribute.

If you want looking to visit the Maldives, and have questions, then please do let me know.

hi,
I'm from Pakistan,and planing to visit Maldives with family.
Could u please help me in giving the details about Maldives,about the weather that which month is best to visit ..which island must visit ..where should we stay and other details..
waiting for ur reply..
bye
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post May 25 2009, 02:15 AM
Post #11

Voyager

The Maldives does have a 'low season', and it really is from now through until October. However, that said, it is not as defined as some other destinations. In low season, expect some rainfall, it is not usual to have it for days on end. If it rains, it is still warm, it is often cloudy after the rain, but this reduces the humidity, and it is of course still good temperatures, and I would certainly consider travelling to the Maldives at this time.

If you are travelling with children, then perhaps consider larger islands, as they tend to have more activities available, islands such as Meeru, Kuredu, Kuramathi, Bandos, Kurumba, Sun Island all would be suitable, based on activities.

The islands offer a variety of board basis, some offer Bed & Breakfast through to all inclusive. There are some good offers available. Depending on the size of your family, you may need to consider obtaining two rooms, as the destination is quite strict on how many people sleep in each room/villa.

Hope this info is of some help - please feel free to contact me if you require further information........

Best regards

Alison

hi,
I'm from Pakistan,and planing to visit Maldives with family.
Could u please help me in giving the details about Maldives,about the weather that which month is best to visit ..which island must visit ..where should we stay and other details..
waiting for ur reply..
bye
[/quote]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sokrath
post Jul 13 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 284002

Hy travelling solo.
if you are visiting maldives now its better to visit floating resorts(safari boats).
It gives almost same services but you can keep moving from one remote island to another where you can enjoy many different white sandy beaches.
if you wish to know nuch about flaoting resorts drop me a mail.
adam@seamarc.com
Thank you
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Aug 17 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #13

Voyager

Am sure you will have a fantastic time on Kuredu, what room type did you opt for? The diving in the area is very good. If you have any questions between now and the time you go, feel free to contact me.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iunia84
post Sep 16 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 354061

Hello everybody,

I am writting you because me and my boyfriend recently have received a job offer as a Guest Relations Officer in Maldives. The company is called Holistic Travel.
We had some doubts about this offer and I am trying to find out advices and opinions of people living in Male, Maldives.
If anyone knows or has heard about this company, please give me all the details you can.They are supposed to assure accommodation, meals and health ensurance.
And anyone that can advise me about the living conditions, safety, transport,etc...we are supposed to be hosted in some flats in Male and we will be working in the airport.

Also I would like to know if someone could let me know some web sites where I could find flats or houses for rent.

We are planning to accept this offer, just that I would like to know that everything presented is also true.

Thank you very much!

Iunia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Sep 22 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #15

Voyager

Firstly, congratulations on being offered jobs in the Maldives.

I do not know of the Company personally. Perhaps contact the Maldivian Tourism Board, - they may be able to assist you further.

You mention that you will be situated at the airport - which islands are you representing. Also, are they providing you with accommodation, as you mention about cost of rent ect, as it is very expensive in Male for an apartment. Is the accommodation either in Male or on the resort island (assuming it is close by) included?

Quite a lot of the jobs for the Maldives are advertised with British Recruitment Agencies - where did you find out about this position.

Look forward to hearing from you.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
iunia84
post Sep 22 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 354061

QUOTE(maldivestagent @ Sep 22 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Firstly, congratulations on being offered jobs in the Maldives.

I do not know of the Company personally. Perhaps contact the Maldivian Tourism Board, - they may be able to assist you further.

You mention that you will be situated at the airport - which islands are you representing. Also, are they providing you with accommodation, as you mention about cost of rent ect, as it is very expensive in Male for an apartment. Is the accommodation either in Male or on the resort island (assuming it is close by) included?

Quite a lot of the jobs for the Maldives are advertised with British Recruitment Agencies - where did you find out about this position.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Could you provide me the contact information for the Maldivian Tourism Board?

As I said, we will work at the beginning in the airport and live in Male. We found the offer through a recruitment agency from Romania.

Can you give me more details about living in Male? Any useful information you might have?

Thanks,

Iunia

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aniapl
post Oct 15 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 431861

Hi,

I'm planning to do few months backpacking in south Asia and thought of visiting Maldives by taking flight from Colombo, however the hotel fees are very high... could you advise/recommend any low budget hotel/hostels?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 16 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

How about this one?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...Lodge-Male.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Jan 2 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #19

Voyager

Accommodation in the Maldives is quite expensive. If staying in Male, the capital, then there is some low budget accommodation, but also, very few facilities. You do need to have accommodation on arrival to complete your visa forms ect (no charges). Then you would need to get a dhoni boat over to the capital.

I would look to try and stretch your budget so that you can stay on a resort island, as this has a very different feel to it than the capital, and will be much more enjoyable as this is what the Maldives is all about.

If you contact the Maldivian Tourism Board they will be able to provide you with the latest list of accommodation in Male.

Enjoy!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Mar 19 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #20

Voyager

Good to hear that you had such a good time on Kuredu Island - if you want to go again in the future, feel free to contact me for suggestions.....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:30 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Maldives

Alifu Atoll Hotels
Angaga Island Hotels
Angsana Hotels
Bandos Hotels
Bathala Island Hotels
Bodu Hithi Island Hotels
Centara Grand Island Hotels
Dhiggiri Hotels
Emboodhu Finolhu Hotels
Gan Hotels
Haa Aliff Atoll Hotels
Hanimaadhoo Hotels
Hembadhu Hotels
Hulhule Island Hotels
Hulhumale Hotels
Huvafen Fushi Island Hotels
Kaafu Atoll Hotels
Kanuhara Hotels
Kunfunadhoo Hotels
Kuramathi Hotels
Kuredu Hotels
Lankanfinolhu Island Hotels
Maafushi Hotels
Maguhdhuvaa Hotels
Male Hotels
North Ari Atoll Hotels
North Huvadhu (Gaafa Alifu) Atoll Hotels
North Male Atoll Hotels
Olhuveli Island Hotels
Rangali Island Hotels
Rinbudhoo Hotels
Shaviyani Atoll Hotels
South Ari Atoll Hotels
South Male Atoll Hotels
Thudufushi Island Hotels
Thulusdhoo Island Hotels
Vabbinfaru Hotels
Velidhoo Hotels
Vilamendhoo Hotels
Villingili Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.