Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Foreigners working in Singapore, Need advice from someone who lives there
post May 31 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #1


Group: Members
Posts: 283
Joined: 19-December 06
From: BC, Canada
Member No.: 30901

My girlfriend and I have been discussing Singapore lately. For my part, I want to attend school there. She's thinking she could be a Chinese teacher.

I've looked for work in Singapore in the past, and found many ads that specifically state that only nationals should apply. We would both need to find work if we went there, so I'm a little concerned about this. I'm Canadian with a variety of experience so I could potentially do any part-time work available. Hell I'd stand behind the counter at 7-11 if I had to. She's a Chinese citizen who speaks English very well, so she could also potentially work anywhere, but wants to be a Chinese teacher.

Is this feasible? Would we have serious trouble finding work if we were there? Or is there a good place we can search for jobs that allow foreigners to apply?

Just pretend I wrote something clever and witty here.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 28 2011, 05:32 AM
Post #2


Group: Members
Posts: 1
Joined: 22-June 11
Member No.: 2055891

I am British citizen and I have been living in Singapore for over 22 years. To work in Singapore you would need a Work pass or Work Permit. This applies for any kind of work paid or unpaid.

There are very strict rules as to who can obtain a pass or permit and this is usually associated with the type of job and the education background and work experience the applicant possesses.

Generally this means a university degree and at least 2 to three years experience in one of the fields which the Singapore Government is interested in such as Banking, Healthcare, Research and Development etc.. also qualified teachers can usually get permits.

The only exception to the above is if a company wishes to transfer an existing employee from another country into Singapore but even then the company will have to make a case to the Singapore Immigration Services and this does not guarantee that a permit will be granted.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Mar 30 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #3


Group: Members
Posts: 1
Joined: 30-March 12
Member No.: 2771653

also another avenue is to tutor english! you can actually do this under the table if you're willing. there are several agencies you can contact online and they don't require a workpass :)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic


- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Singapore

Chinatown Hotels
Little India Hotels
Pulau Ubin Hotels
Sentosa Island Hotels
Singapore Hotels
Singapore River Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.