Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotland, April 2009
pukky
post Mar 28 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 274176
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am going to the UK for the first time and making a trip to Scotland (most likely in Edinburgh and Glasgow). I am going late April, anyone know of anything going on around then? Im in my mid-20's - about to go to grad school - and need to have some fun!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 30 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I can't think of anything specifically, but here is an event search tool from the tourism board:

http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/scout/ev...ent/evcrit.html

Just found out about a music festival in Mull, are you interested?

http://www.mishnish.co.uk/musicfestival.php

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pukky
post Mar 30 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 30 2009, 09:56 AM) *

I can't think of anything specifically, but here is an event search tool from the tourism board:

http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/scout/ev...ent/evcrit.html

Just found out about a music festival in Mull, are you interested?

http://www.mishnish.co.uk/musicfestival.php

Music festival? Heck yeah!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 31 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

There's not a whole lot of information on it on the web, but I'm sure if you go, you'll find it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 31 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

[/quote]

Music festival? Heck yeah!
[/quote]

Hiya, you might want to take a closer look at that "music festival" - it's not really a massive festival in a field or anything - it's in a hotel, and the island of Mull is going to be a train & boat ride from Glasgow or Edinburgh, and then however you plan to get round the island. If you look at the strapline on the website, it says "the mishnish - a pub with rooms"...not sure if you want to go all the way to Mull for that? Although Mull is lovely if you were planning to tour there - then I guess it might be worth going.

Here are a couple of websites to check out:
www.themidgie.com - it's got a link to a full events guide - you can pick up free copies of "The Midgie" magazine from hostels etc when you get there - it's really good. (In case you're wondering, a 'midge' is like a Scottish mosquito). It's designed for students & independent travellers. Brilliant name for a mag about Scotland, I think!!

The other site is one covering events for the year from Burns night (end of January 2009). It is www.homecomingscotland.com and was set up to encourage us Scots back to the homeland this year - but I'll let you into that one wink.gif Have a look!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 31 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Oh yeah, you're right, I wasn't specific about that. It's definitely not a Glastonbury or anything... hhahaha.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 31 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 31 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Oh yeah, you're right, I wasn't specific about that. It's definitely not a Glastonbury or anything... hhahaha.

LOL - definitely not! The Scottish big festivals aren't until July/August

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 31 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

I think it would be fun to go anyway though...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 31 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Vagabond

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 31 2009, 08:49 PM) *

I think it would be fun to go anyway though...

It does look fun, but I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way for it if I was only in Scotland a few days, unless I was planning to see Mull and go round it...I don't really know enough about it to say "yes definitely" or "no, waste of time" at the mo...I'll see if I can find out

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 1 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Yeah, you're probably right. He never said how much time he had... Pukky, how much time do you have???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pukky
post Apr 2 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(happia @ Apr 1 2009, 10:24 PM) *

I love Edinburgh and like walking there.
http://www.edinburgh.org/
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/select_walk2.php

Do you like walking???

I looked up the music festival and agreed with the both of you ... not worth traveling to Mull for a pub concert ( the type my little beach town gets a lot). However, I am willing to walk/drive/bus anywhere reasonably far from Edinburgh. I am debating not even going to Glasgow and exploring Edinburgh and the smaller towns surrounding the outside of the city.

I haven't looked at the Midges site yet, but I appreciate everybody's contributions. Not many people I know have been out this way, and I am looking for as many insider tips as I can!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 3 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #12

Vagabond

QUOTE(pukky @ Apr 3 2009, 12:16 AM) *

I looked up the music festival and agreed with the both of you ... not worth traveling to Mull for a pub concert ( the type my little beach town gets a lot). However, I am willing to walk/drive/bus anywhere reasonably far from Edinburgh. I am debating not even going to Glasgow and exploring Edinburgh and the smaller towns surrounding the outside of the city.

I haven't looked at the Midges site yet, but I appreciate everybody's contributions. Not many people I know have been out this way, and I am looking for as many insider tips as I can!

Hey Pukky! How long do you actually have to explore? And what's your key interests? I can totally help with 'insider tips' as I am from Scotland, but I just need to know how long you have and what you'd enjoy seeing? Where are you from?

Have you seen my "beginners guide to Scotland" in the main part of this forum area? There are a few travel links in there for buses & trains. If you book in advance you can sometimes get the bus for just 1!!

Scotland's not massive, so you can get between Glasgow & Edinburgh on the train in less than an hour. To get to Aberdeen from either city it's 3 hours by train. The times increase when you're going to the smaller places, but I can tell you about a few if you want if it helps you decide? I have a Scotland blog (link in my signature below) where I've added random places I've been (only since I became the local expert for Scotland - I've been to many more as well!)

Let me know how I can help...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 5 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #13

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

I am going to Scotland in a couple of weeks too! It is for work though so won't be very exciting... but my brother is going to Edinburgh Uni next year so I'm sure I will be back to take advantage of some of your advice! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pukky
post Apr 5 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 3 2009, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(pukky @ Apr 3 2009, 12:16 AM) *

Hey Pukky! How long do you actually have to explore? And what's your key interests? I can totally help with 'insider tips' as I am from Scotland, but I just need to know how long you have and what you'd enjoy seeing? Where are you from?

Have you seen my "beginners guide to Scotland" in the main part of this forum area? There are a few travel links in there for buses & trains. If you book in advance you can sometimes get the bus for just 1!!

Scotland's not massive, so you can get between Glasgow & Edinburgh on the train in less than an hour. To get to Aberdeen from either city it's 3 hours by train. The times increase when you're going to the smaller places, but I can tell you about a few if you want if it helps you decide? I have a Scotland blog (link in my signature below) where I've added random places I've been (only since I became the local expert for Scotland - I've been to many more as well!)

Let me know how I can help...

Thanks for your help! I will definitely dive into your blog to check out what you have seen and done.

As for my key interests ... mingling with locals, going to pubs, seeing the countryside and any sort of quaint little places, like antique shops. I am from Destin, Florida, on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I am beginning law school in August and looking to let loose and enjoy my first time overseas.

I have only picked Edinburgh so far, because it seemed like a good place to start in Scotland, and then work my way outside of the city. Would you say Aberdeen is worth seeing and maybe I should go there instead? I haven't made my exact timetable, but I probably won't have more than 3 days in Scotland, as I will be in England too.

Knowing about a few smaller places to go would be great.

Thank you so much!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 7 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Vagabond

Sianeth - where are you going to with work and when? I can maybe recommend!?!

Pukky - lets keep it realistic wink.gif 3 days? OK, we have something to go on now...! You're on public transport, yeah? I think so,, since you're coming from Florida, and on a break before school? 3 days? - you need to skip Aberdeen. Focus on what you'd like to see in Glasgow & Edinburgh in 3 days, as they are close enough and you're going to be jetlagged (I think?)

Where are you flying into? Where is your starting point? And where do you need to leave from to get to England? Glasgow or Edinburgh?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pukky
post Apr 7 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 7 2009, 07:34 PM) *

Pukky - lets keep it realistic wink.gif 3 days? OK, we have something to go on now...! You're on public transport, yeah? I think so,, since you're coming from Florida, and on a break before school? 3 days? - you need to skip Aberdeen. Focus on what you'd like to see in Glasgow & Edinburgh in 3 days, as they are close enough and you're going to be jetlagged (I think?)

Where are you flying into? Where is your starting point? And where do you need to leave from to get to England? Glasgow or Edinburgh?

I did not mean 3 days beginning from Florida ... I meant three days IN scotland
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 8 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #17

Vagabond

[/quote]

I did not mean 3 days beginning from Florida ... I meant three days IN scotland
[/quote]

Yeah I understood the 3 days in Scotland, so that's why I was suggesting focusing on Glasgow & Edinburgh, as it's not much time to get up to Aberdeen as well, and do all the sightseeing in between...? I wouldn't suggest going to Aberdeen instead of the other two, as Edinburgh has the castle, the old streets, Glasgow has the charm and access to the west coast which is beautiful...
If you had had more time, then I'd have suggested going more north as well (to Aberdeen & surrounds), but I think you'd be better focusing around the central belt of Scotland with 3 days...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 10 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #18

Jet Setter

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:34 AM) *

I'm pretty much going next door to Hampden Park on the 22nd/23rd April. Actually, do you have any idea how I'd get there from Glasgow Central train station... how far out is it? I'm debating getting the train or driving up... train is 2 h 45, driving I'm guessing would be about 4 h, but if its a mission to get public transport there then I'd probably be better off in the car. Thankyou smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 10 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #19

Vagabond

QUOTE(sianeth @ Apr 10 2009, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:34 AM) *

I'm pretty much going next door to Hampden Park on the 22nd/23rd April. Actually, do you have any idea how I'd get there from Glasgow Central train station... how far out is it? I'm debating getting the train or driving up... train is 2 h 45, driving I'm guessing would be about 4 h, but if its a mission to get public transport there then I'd probably be better off in the car. Thankyou smile.gif

Hiya, Hampden isn't far from the city centre at all. I think you'd be better by public transport, as the Rangers Football stadium is at Hampden Park - I don't know when any matches are, but if any are on those dates, it'd be a nightmare driving and parking.

You can get a train from Glasgow Central to either Mount Florida station or King's park station, either are in Hampden - depending on where you are staying, one might be closer than the other. There's also loads of buses, and a number for the info on them is 0871 200 2233 or www.travelinescotland.com

Hope that helps!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 13 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #20

Jet Setter

Merci beaucoup! Now all I have to do is make sure I remember my passport wink.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:36 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.