Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bivy sack or tent?
jake_da_snake
post Apr 6 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1872541
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello everyone. I will be spending three months in NZ starting in early November and I am planning on doing a lot of tramping. On my past adventures i have always taken a tent with me and although i currently have an ultra light MSR one man, i want to go even lighter and take up less room in my pack. NZ seems like the ideal place for one (no bears, scorpions, snakes, ect.) and the weather doesn't seem too extreme although i know it can be. Has anyone here ever used one down there that can attest to its usefullness or lack there of?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Apr 6 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(jake_da_snake @ Apr 6 2011, 08:52 PM) *

Hello everyone. I will be spending three months in NZ starting in early November and I am planning on doing a lot of tramping. On my past adventures i have always taken a tent with me and although i currently have an ultra light MSR one man, i want to go even lighter and take up less room in my pack. NZ seems like the ideal place for one (no bears, scorpions, snakes, ect.) and the weather doesn't seem too extreme although i know it can be. Has anyone here ever used one down there that can attest to its usefullness or lack there of?

Can't answer from experience but you are right with your concept of the country. All you will have to deal with mis rain...................great time to be here weather wise....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jake_da_snake
post Apr 8 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1872541
Nominate me as a Local Expert

alright cool. Well ill ask around a little more but i think im going to go with the bivy sack. I'll buy it and test it out a few nights before leaving of course. One more thing. On my previous adventures i usually just roll out my sleeping back on the beach or in a park (out of the way of course) then pack up and leave first thing in the morning. How do the authorities feel about this? it seems like its a pretty easy going place and i know that in mostplaces this is tolerable if not legal. Also, i know there are an abundance of campgrounds there and I'm sure i'll stay in a few but my style is more drifter dude/ beach bum if you catch my drift
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Apr 8 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(jake_da_snake @ Apr 8 2011, 12:50 AM) *

alright cool. Well ill ask around a little more but i think im going to go with the bivy sack. I'll buy it and test it out a few nights before leaving of course. One more thing. On my previous adventures i usually just roll out my sleeping back on the beach or in a park (out of the way of course) then pack up and leave first thing in the morning. How do the authorities feel about this? it seems like its a pretty easy going place and i know that in mostplaces this is tolerable if not legal. Also, i know there are an abundance of campgrounds there and I'm sure i'll stay in a few but my style is more drifter dude/ beach bum if you catch my drift

Be a discreet beach bum.................not close to civilization............
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 03:46 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.