Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best options to travel from Ho chi minh to Cambodia as solo traveller, Best options to travel from Ho chi minh to Cambodia as solo traveller
jo_in_thailand
post Mar 20 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 440201
Nominate me as a Local Expert

hi I'm looking for the Best options to travel from Ho chi minh to Cambodia as solo traveller.
Iv been to Vietnam before but not Cambodia and am keen to see what
others recommed .

Also keen on any advice re visas, accomodation, places to see
etc etc

Jo from new Zealand smile.gif hug.gif

Thanks ppl
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Apr 2 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Thank you for that information. are there more interesting ways to travel to Cambodia than via bus? like a tour of some kind? i will definitely be going to Angkor Watt.

regarding the Visa i have heard that it can be very dodgy getting the Visa at the border so somewhat concerned about that.

i wonder if there is a Cambodian embassy in HCM?

Jo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 4 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi Jo,

There are plenty of more interesting ways to get into Cambodia. Have you though about heading through the Mekong Delta and crossing over into coastal Cambodia?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Apr 4 2011, 05:44 AM
Post #4

hi

yeah i was thinkng of doing tht. will have to look into it further i think. unless you have done it and can make some recommendations?

i found there is a cambodian embassy in hcm but still waiting on further info fom them.

i see you are travlling in cambodia at the mo. what are your recommended to dos?

smile.gif

thanks for your emails.

jo

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 5 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

The Mekong Delta is a great experience, well worth considering. You can get a Cambodian visa at the Ha Tien border no problem. What info are you waiting on the embassy for?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Apr 5 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Hi

Ive heard there are plenty of Visa scams at the border so want to try to avoid the negativity of that if i can.

waiting to hear from the embassy as to cost, how long it takes and their hours and days of work as i arrive on a thursday late night.

ive been reading this guy traveliing marks Blog. he is very negative about the cambodian people and say that all/most cambodians are out to scam you in any way big or small. im sure this cant be true of all cambodians and was hoping to read about his experiences in Vietnam and Thailand to compare (ive been there too and would give me an idea of how truthful he is etc) but he doesnt say much about that . what are your thoughts about this? some of the things he has said worry me. im not one to believe all i read but would be good to get others opinions rather than this one particularly negative guy.

http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/cambodia-scams/

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 18 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Dear oh dear oh dear. I'm not even going to waste my time commenting on what I've just read. Jo, why oh why are you reading this stuff?

Cambodia is a beautiful country inhabited by warm friendly people who've had their fair share of suffering. Of course there are scams, just like many other countries in SEA but generally it's the naive who fall for it, particularly the ones with no common sense. Go to Cambodia Jo, the rewards will far outweigh the occasional lulls (the stuff you'll actually be excitedly regaling for years to come). It's all down to who you are as a traveller, your attitude, your approach and your perceptions. Simple.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Apr 19 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #8

hi ya

oh dont worry im definitly still going. silly guy with his negative opinions wouldnt stop this gal ;-) it just had me concerned for a bit is all but i got over that.

ive created a list of things i want to see and do in cambodia, but im having trouble deciding on how to do everything or rather in what order. what is logical etc. what i mean is visting each town etc. and if on the way to each town there are other places i should actually stop and .... being budget concious im pretty much going to be reliant on public transport.

i dont suppose you know a good travel planner, where i can enter the places i want to go and it will suss a plan out for me? i havent found anything fab on google just yet.

can you recommend any accomodation you have stay in there? angel1.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 19 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Can't really help there Jo as I'm a bit of a non-believer when it comes to planning. For me, arriving in a place, mixing with people and taking on a whole range of opinions, ideas and suggestions is the ultimate and most accurate 'planner' you'll come across, which of course will always be current and will develop on a day-to-day basis, far better than guessing it all beforehand. How much time do you have available in Cambodia? What's your budget?

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Apr 25 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #10

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Apr 19 2011, 10:47 PM) *

Can't really help there Jo as I'm a bit of a non-believer when it comes to planning. For me, arriving in a place, mixing with people and taking on a whole range of opinions, ideas and suggestions is the ultimate and most accurate 'planner' you'll come across, which of course will always be current and will develop on a day-to-day basis, far better than guessing it all beforehand. How much time do you have available in Cambodia? What's your budget?

Ha ha ha ha travellingmark the binman - he didn't publish my 2 page rant at him on his tatty website after I saw it a while ago. Hope he gets giardia and loses what's left of him down the swanny. I had a MASSIVE strop on after reading that and living in Reap. Bloke's a turd. Simple.

Jo, you'll LOVE Cambodia, it's the best place on this earth. A smile is all you need to enjoy yourself. I'll tip you off a few places if you need them no sweat. Some people just aren't made for mixing with the public eh. Ha ha.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jo_in_thailand
post Apr 25 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #11

yeah he sounds like a bit of a tosser aye. funny that he didnt publish your rant. oh well.

well i leave nz in about 3 weeks so have some time to plan. budget not sure but maybe uner $100 a day preferrable less (includes accomodation costs). so feel free to give me some tips. any places you stayed as well that you would recommend. ive had a few tips on places where the people running it are super helpful which is one thing im after since im travelling solo.

i was at a party dance.gif on the weekend and friends who travelled in Cambodia told me that they had a gun pulled on them in Phom Penh ( i think or siam reap?) last year. whoo crazy stuff aye, she aid 1/4 ppl carry a gun in that town/city. surely not i thought. she did say they loved cambodia though. but gave me loads of tips on keeping safe due to their own experience. ever seen anything like that yourself?

are you still in cambodia now?have you been to the Con Dao islands? jump.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post May 4 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #12

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(jo_in_thailand @ Apr 25 2011, 03:04 PM) *

yeah he sounds like a bit of a tosser aye. funny that he didnt publish your rant. oh well.

well i leave nz in about 3 weeks so have some time to plan. budget not sure but maybe uner $100 a day preferrable less (includes accomodation costs). so feel free to give me some tips. any places you stayed as well that you would recommend. ive had a few tips on places where the people running it are super helpful which is one thing im after since im travelling solo.

i was at a party dance.gif on the weekend and friends who travelled in Cambodia told me that they had a gun pulled on them in Phom Penh ( i think or siam reap?) last year. whoo crazy stuff aye, she aid 1/4 ppl carry a gun in that town/city. surely not i thought. she did say they loved cambodia though. but gave me loads of tips on keeping safe due to their own experience. ever seen anything like that yourself?

are you still in cambodia now?have you been to the Con Dao islands? jump.gif

There are some bizarre rumours about the volumes of people carrying guns, but take it with a pinch of salt. Stick to obvious rules, don't do anything you wouldn't at home etc, PP is a fairly cosmopolitan place these days.

Crime in Siem Reap is pretty much zero, the authorities don't want any of the more affluent tourists getting scared and running off. The odd bag snatch occurs from the front of pushbikes by kids but nothing to be worried about. It's safer than London. Although the traffic is a little different.

I'm back from Siem Reap at present, it's very quiet so perfect time to visit really, back after summer again. Con Dao, nope, Woz has I believe, check his stuff out.

I've got heaps of advice on where to stay/go etc by all means drop me a mail.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucyluxy14
post Oct 7 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #13

Wanderer

Member No.: 2245993

Dear love,

Cambodia, as I know is a beautiful place to go, either with friends or family. The Cambodian when you met them first time, I swear you can be impressed on how friendly they are.
If missing the road and you ask for help, the Cambodia not only give you the detailed map but guide you to reach your goal as well.

I love Cambodia where invalid ancient buildings remain to show the cultural value from ancestors.

If I have more time, I should stay there more time to discover the unique beauty
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thomascullin
post Oct 17 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #14

Drifter

Member No.: 2272023

QUOTE(lucyluxy14 @ Oct 7 2011, 10:59 PM) *

Dear love,

Cambodia, as I know is a beautiful place to go, either with friends or family. The Cambodian when you met them first time, I swear you can be impressed on how friendly they are.
If missing the road and you ask for help, the Cambodia not only give you the detailed map but guide you to reach your goal as well.

I love Cambodia where invalid ancient buildings remain to show the cultural value from ancestors.

If I have more time, I should stay there more time to discover the unique beauty

Guess he has the prefect plan for you
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:18 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.